Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #1

Newbie with another question

Hello, thanks everyone for all the help with my previous questions. Here is another question I have regarding whether to use propane or generator to power my fridge while driving. My grandfather was a RV'er for 30 years in a class A and he says he used the propane to operate his refrigerator while driving. I just bought a 30 foot Class C and I figured that I would use the generator to cool the AC while driving down the road since most of what I read says using the generator for the AC while driving is smarter than the dash AC. My question is, should I still use the propane for the fridge or use the generator since it'll be on anyway? Thanks
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #2

JMHO: if your running the gen set , use the 110 on the fridge, don't think you'll get anywhere close to the gen set's capacity.

EDIT: having never owned a coach with a propane gen set , maybe I shouldn't have commented, I'm not even positive they can be used while driving. Sorry.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #3

Previous post says something about propane genset I don't see that in the OP. So, I would and do run the fridge from the genset.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #4

If your refrigerator has a auto setting use it, it will run on gas until you start the generator it will automatically switch to 110 volt from generator and switch back to gas when you shut it off. Simple and easy most people use gas while traveling without a problem.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you going to run generator for other reasons, leave fridge on AC power. If just using fridge, then propane. Mine is automatic, choosing electric first, then propane.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #6

If your fridge is stocked and cold before you go on a trip it should keep the food cold for several hours when turned off. If you do have to leave it on while driving it will cost only a fraction on propane compared to running the generator. But be aware it is prohibited by law in many jurisdictions to operate propane powered appliances or even have the propane cylinders not closed when driving.
Another option would be an inverter connected to the batteries which keeps the fridge running on 110V AC.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Unless someone is standing in front of the fridge with the door open there is no need to run either while traveling. We either run the fridge on power or propane overnight and turn everything off when traveling. The beer stays cold and the steaks stay frozen.

No need to use the gen unless you are running a/c and turn the propane off.

In my opinion traveling with open propane is risky (although small) as the vibrations in the coach could cause cracks or breaks in the propane lines. Lots of folks have traveled with open propane successfully for years but occasionally there are fires.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #8

Hi miamiclassc, my unit has the automatic switch on the fridge. If the gen is running the fridge will use the 110 volt power from that. If the gen is not running the fridge will run on propane. Depending on the ambient temp whether I use the roof top A/C.
Safe Travels
Bill
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we owned tts we used propane, but our mh fridge is only electric so we have to run the generator while we are driving. When it goes belly up, I think I will replace it with a gas/electric unit so when we are dry camping the generator does not have to run 24/7.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags