Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Nexus 32 SC Super C Indepth Review - Mike Mas

Hello Forum Members - this is an extensive in depth review on the new Super C from the folks at Nexus. The Nexus Phantom 32 SC is built on an International TerraStar chassis with the MaxxForce 7 V8 Diesel engine with an Allison 6 speed transmission.

I’m just another RV owner like you guys and wanted to share my finding with other forum members – I have no association to the manufacture other than a customer relationship. Enjoy!

Be sure to click on Yellow Tab on Images to expand for reading!

Mike Mas - rotory@earthlink.net

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 PM   #2

Damn Mike that's one hell of an in-depth and long review. I like it! 😜 I've always liked Nexus story and their rigs, but they are way too expensive for me. No big deal, I'll be happy with a late 90's Beaver DP, that is if I can find the one I want, no easy feat! 😜
Lastly, love your other rig. That is one friggin cool "truck" 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Uncle!

Thanks
Old 11-04-2014, 01:48 AM   #4

Nice work, and thanks for posting.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #5

Idleup, nice review. We looked at this RV very seriously but we ended up buying a Thor Four Winds Super C. Our main concern was the lack of engine or exhaust brake which I considered pretty important for towing a heavy trailer. According to the NEXUS rep at the Hershey show in 2013, not only was a brake not an option but he was not aware of any way to add one aftermarket. This seemed odd for a Super C but it definitely sent us off in a different direction. So far, the F550 is nice but there are a lot of annoying issues with the Thor coach part. Your comment about the "residential" refrig and battery capacity is interesting. We haven't had the opportunity to check this yet. We paid extra for the diesel generator - the LP unit just makes no sense with the diesel engine RV - so recharging the house battery shouldn't too much of an issue.
jebsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #6

Jebsen,

You're 1005 right - the MaxxForce engine should have an exhaust or engine brake. However on the positive note- I did take a ride to Asheville NC from Ga where I have to go though the mountains and found I could go down a 7% grade without touching the brake in 2nd gear and it would keep it around 30-35mph. Regardless i sure wish it had the brake - by the way they do make an aftermarket exhaust brake but you have to do a DPF delete to use it.

Did your Thor have a 110 fridge installed?

Thanks

Mike
Old 11-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #7

Nice write-up and summary of the features. Being Nexus is the MH guys from Gulfstream, I see a lot of similarities between the new Nexus and my older Gulfstream Supernova. That is not bad, just observation. I do prefer the 22.5 wheels and tires on mine, but I also have higher 26,000 GVWR with mine.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #8

Idle-up,
Yes, it came with a 110v "residential" fridge. No option for the usual dc/LP RV type. It was billed as a big plus. We'll see.
Gary
jebsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsen View Post
Idle-up,
Yes, it came with a 110v "residential" fridge. No option for the usual dc/LP RV type. It was billed as a big plus. We'll see.
Gary
Yep - the "big plus" is they stick a few grand in their pocket and you're stuck trying to keep your batteries up as the inverter sucks it dry. The bad part is these refrigerators are not efficient nor economical in any way.

Oh well its not the end of the world - as long as you know what's happening you'll be OK - like I said unless your dry camping its not really a problem.

Mike
Old 11-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
mre

Quote:
Idleup, nice review. We looked at this RV very seriously but we ended up buying a Thor Four Winds Super C. Our main concern was the lack of engine or exhaust brake which I considered pretty important for towing a heavy trailer. According to the NEXUS rep at the Hershey show in 2013, not only was a brake not an option but he was not aware of any way to add one aftermarket. This seemed odd for a Super C but it definitely sent us off in a different direction. So far, the F550 is nice but there are a lot of annoying issues with the Thor coach part. Your comment about the "residential" refrig and battery capacity is interesting. We haven't had the opportunity to check this yet. We paid extra for the diesel generator - the LP unit just makes no sense with the diesel engine RV - so recharging the house battery shouldn't too much of an issue.
I have looked at the Nexus and too wanted an exhaust brake. I have a trailer truck combination that weighs in about 23.5K-24.5K and have tow without an exhaust brake. I thought it did good, than got the same truck (later year) with an exhaust brake and would never go back.

I too ask Nexus earlier this year about the exhaust brake and was told basically the same thing. I contacted Navistar/Intentional about it, they have it and its doable as an aftermarket. They told me that since I haven't ordered yet. to have the manufacturer order it with the chassis and that it would be about half the price. I told them that I didn't think that would happen and was willing to pay for it and that my only concern was that would the engine still maintain its warranty. They told me that as long as one of their shops does the work and it is their product, it would not void the warrant.
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks so much for the very detailed write up! This unit is at the top of my shopping list, so this is very helpful. Would you mind describing the problems you had with the spec sheet? I've already found three, and I haven't touched a unit yet. On the web spec sheet, the transmission, barrel chair, and fuel tanks are mis-stated.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Lightbulb Exhaust Brake

Quote:
Our main concern was the lack of engine or exhaust brake which I considered pretty important for towing a heavy trailer. According to the NEXUS rep at the Hershey show in 2013, not only was a brake not an option but he was not aware of any way to add one aftermarket. This seemed odd for a Super C but it definitely sent us off in a different direction.
One more thing...On the topic of exhaust brake. International has a very long (72-page) list of options for the TerraStar. It includes a $900 (MSRP) option for an Engine Exhaust Brake. If we end up getting this unit, I'll try asking for that option to be installed with the chassis order. Right now the 32SC is at the top of our list.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacay Wheels View Post
One more thing...On the topic of exhaust brake. International has a very long (72-page) list of options for the TerraStar. It includes a $900 (MSRP) option for an Engine Exhaust Brake. If we end up getting this unit, I'll try asking for that option to be installed with the chassis order. Right now the 32SC is at the top of our list.

Hello thanks for the reply - yes if there is an option to get it for $900 one would be an idiot to pass it up.

As I said, while I wish I had the brake, its not really a problem for me I can hold a 7% grade in 2nd gear and maintain 35 mph with no service brakes being used. The V8 diesel has good braking power with just the engine itself.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #14

Hello Guys I finally got time to remedy the stock hitch which hung down too low - I cut out the cross bar then re-welded it at the top of the hitch side-plates, this moved it up almost 5 inches - major difference!

Enjoy - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch 1a.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	80546   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch 2.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	518.8 KB
ID:	80547  

Click image for larger version