Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #1

Nexus Phantom or Viper vs. the other brands

After looking at a number of units and hearing about the Nexus company, I'm interested in pursuing their line as I move out of my beloved but now too small Pleasureway Lexor and into a small C. Their prices, new, seem comprable to other similar units though my preference would be to spend less on a good quality used unit. If quality is far and away better on the Nexus I may have to spring for it. I'm looking at the 23-24' rear bed/bath units. My questions, between the Phantom and Viper does the C get that much less mileage because of the overhead than the B+? Also, for those of you who have worked with the company, is there price negotiating room or is, barring added options, the price they show the price you pay, period. Do they work with trades as I'm wanting to trade my B? I live in SW Colorado but am in Tampa much of the winter and, lucky for me, they are building a showroom in Clearwater. Just for comparison I've also looked at new and used units of Coachman Concord 225LE, Fleetwood 24D' (both diesel) and Four Winds Freedom Elite 21C. Recently introduced to iRV2 from another forum so here's my first post. Thanks for your assistance, Abbyarts
abbyarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

Here's our experience. We have recently ordered a new Nexus Phantom 32P. We are experienced motor home owners - this will be our 5th unit since 1990. The new Nexus will replace a 43' 2007 Dutch Star diesel pusher - downsizing makes sense for us for a number of reasons. We have also owned a 30ft LazyDaze, a very high quality class C sold factory direct from California. Plus a Tioga C back in the 90's and a smaller Newmar Class A gas. We've heard about every sales pitch, and experienced a lot of the hype. So, how did we end up at Nexus?

For us, the principal reason is the buying experience. We visited with them. liked the floor plan, did some minor customization, and the price was competitive. We could have bought a Jayco, Fleetwood or Thor product for less, but price wasn't the most important factor for us.

As I've said before in other posts, I don't believe Nexus is building anything significantly different, but I think the fit and finish, attention to detail, and willingness to work with the buyer is what makes their product attractive to many of us who are experienced RVers.

The features they point to that they consider unique, aren't necessarily unique: other manufacturers use Azdel backer board; full fiberglass roofs; molded front and rear caps and automotive-style windows. There steel cage construction probably is unique. But it seems they have a commitment to make virtually every component as good as they can, and I think that is a significant difference from the high volume builders.

As to overall quality, only time will tell. They tout a very low warranty claim rate, so that is good for us as owners. They have only been building since 2010 or 2011. Let's see how their units fair 7 - 10 years from now. I did correspond with other owners and their experience has been good - initial quality is good, service was not an issue, and they seem to be happy. We think we will be, as well.

They will work with you on a trade. We traded a 5th wheel and got what I considered a very fair wholesale-level price.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

My plan

Thank you BCook, that information was very well written and helpful.
Based on your comments, my plan will be to look first for a good, used and less expensive unit from another company unless a Nexus comes on that market (only 2 30' right now) and explore Nexus further if I can't locate one. While in Tampa area I saw a 2011 Four Winds Freedom Elite 21C that would be the right price. Anyone have experience with that brand or the Forest River Fleetwood 24D? How about any resources that review the brands? i've only found one, expensive "consumer reports" style rv site. thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood doesn't build Forest River.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

I knew I had something wrong there and checked notes, its an '09 Fleetwood Pulse, handsome unit but well built?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2012 Fleetwood and have had no real problems.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #7

AbbyArts - just to be sure there is no misunderstanding of my post, I do think the Nexus product is superior to the standard higher-volume manufacturers. As I mentioned above, fit and finish and attention to detail seem to stand out, at least for us.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #8

Agreed that it looks like you get more bang for the same buck with Nexus over other manufacturers for new product, but if I can find a less expensive used in another brand, as long as it is considered well made I'd like to go for that this time round.
I'll go to the Tampa Supershow in Jan. and hope to make a decision by April so I can drive whatever it is back home.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
The features they point to that they consider unique, aren't necessarily unique: other manufacturers use Azdel backer board
BCook57 - I will disagree with you, or add to your comment, on that point. I researched C's forward, backward, and sideways when we got ours last year.

Nexus uses Azdel in the roof too which is unique at least for a C.

We ended up with a Forest River Sunseeker. They use Azdel in the walls only (but luan in the roof).

Many manufacturers don't use Azdel at all (which I just don't get!).

The price difference between Nexus and our Sunseeker was huge. We are weekend warriors during summer only. So I didn't feel paying the extra money for the Nexus was worth it.

Just to be fully clear on what I'm saying: I think Nexus is a superior product at least in terms of materials used. Just wasn't worth the extra money for our limited use.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #10

that's how I'm thinking, all things being equal and sure of frequent use i'd look to Nexus right off, but would prefer to ease toward it, trying C life in something used, cheaper but still well made first - I know I'll love it but it'll be a big transition out of the little, though oh so handy, B.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #11

I live about 30 miles from Nexus and have toured their plant and visited many times as I looked at C's. Their quality is good, but no long term tests. I would suggest you look at used

I purchased a Born Free and believe it has superior construction and fit then the Nexus. Recent upgrades in new Born Free coaches have taken their prices above me. I believe used Born Free coaches will hold more of their value then Nexus in the long run.
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #12

Just wanted to clarify my post again based in reading Laker's post. When I said Nexus was superior, I was talking among the mainstream brands. I wasn't including brands such as Born Free in the mix.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Just wanted to clarify my post again based in reading Laker's post. When I said Nexus was superior, I was talking among the mainstream brands. I wasn't including brands such as Born Free in the mix.
Just asking, how do you define "mainstream brands"? Not looking at starting a war, just a discussion. Both companies sell direct, BF has 2 Lazydays dealers in Fl and AZ, I think Nexus is opening a "showroom" in CA.

So, what is the difference? - Price? volume of sales?
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #14

This is all JMHO and my perception.

Premium or mainstream is not about the sales model (I.e., sold direct or through dealer). It's about the quality which often comes at a price.

I would put brands like Born Free and Lazy Daze in the premium camp. Largely because of their construction being one piece without seams. And that comes at a price. Also trade offs as I think there's only a model or two with slides.

I would consider Nexus more mainstream, albeit I would argue real high (if not at the top) on the list. And as someone said earlier in this post they don't have a real long term track record yet so time may change things.

Again, JMHO and my perception.