Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

Question Nexus Super C what will smooth out the ride ?

We have a 2019 Nexus Super C (Wraith 33 W) on an International Harvester Durastar chassis w Cummins diesel and Allison trans 2500 6 speed
theavy duty chassis w 22.5" wheels but only shocks and springs for suspension.
freeway transitions and frost heaves feel like a roller coaster w suspension bottoming out , and jolting the whole rig . Motorhome does not wander or drift or need constant adjustments side to side but veritcal road defects are hard on everyone..
I have looked at Air lift, Firestone air ride, Liquid springs ($$$$) and Koni or Bilstein shock upgrades.

Is there anyone who has gotten improved ride that can recommend a self installed fix ? or even a suspension package from a shop on the west coast AZ, NV or CA ??
Thanks for any ideas
Paddledoc
PADDLEDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #2

Paddledoc,

Sorry for your rough riding. Our Ghost has air suspension in the rear which I think makes our ride a lot better than yours.

Since you note that you don't get a lot of side to side movement while driving it sounds like you have your tire pressures set for your load. We had that problem. Following suggestions on here, I weighed the rig and reduced my front pressures to 95 cold and rear to 85 cold. That helped immensely with sterring and handling and also the ride.

Sorry I am of no help to you.

Good luck,

WorldCat
Old 07-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Paddledoc,

Sorry for your rough riding. Our Ghost has air suspension in the rear which I think makes our ride a lot better than yours.

Since you note that you don't get a lot of side to side movement while driving it sounds like you have your tire pressures set for your load. We had that problem. Following suggestions on here, I weighed the rig and reduced my front pressures to 95 cold and rear to 85 cold. That helped immensely with sterring and handling and also the ride.

Sorry I am of no help to you.

Good luck,

WorldCat
That might help. We run 95 # rears and 100-105# front tires these are the 22.5" tires all around..

I am looking at Bilstein or Koni RV shocks first and air bags for the rear if that doesnt fix the problem...
PADDLEDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Kelderman Suspension lists an air ride conversion for medium duty International. They are in Iowa, but their conversions can usually be installed by aftermarket shops. Might be worth giving them a call.
oldecmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldecmech View Post
Kelderman Suspension lists an air ride conversion for medium duty International. They are in Iowa, but their conversions can usually be installed by aftermarket shops. Might be worth giving them a call.
X2

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #6

Might want to check out the Nexus Facebook page. From what I’ve read, if your rear axle is bottoming out in a Wraith, you have limited options

1 Liquidsprings at 11k
2 upgrade your 11 leaf package in the rear to a 14 leaf package.

That will keep your axle off the bump stops.

Sumosprings are basically extended bump stops that carry some load.

Don’t quote me, but I don’t think they have an air ride package that works on the Wraith. Most upgrade to the Ghose for air suspension and exhaust brake.

Shocks will help with the porpoising, but they won’t do much if your rear end is slamming on the bump stops or wheels are rubbing in the wells. 4 corner weigh and find out if you are over.

I don’t have a wraith, that’s just what I remember reading. Someone on the Facebook forum did a complete write up on the liquid springs upgrade for a wraith.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
jasonleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You might these guys....both have extensive truck and RV chassis and suspension experience,

:: COLTON TRUCK TERMINAL GARAGE ::
https://www.redlandstruckservice.com/
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:20 PM   #8

Do you have air seats? Doesn't fix the suspension issues and the road bumps, but makes it more comfortable for you driving.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Do you have air seats? Doesn't fix the suspension issues and the road bumps, but makes it more comfortable for you driving.
Not answering for the OP but neither the Wraith ro Ghost come from the factory with air ride seats. I could add them to the Ghost since it has air brakes but the Wraith uses hydraulic brakes. The Ghost, with air suspension in the rear, rides good enough for us.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:56 AM   #10

Has anyone actually replaced the oem shocks on their Ghost?
What did you use? Part no. Please. TIA
Marty1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:59 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADDLEDOC View Post
We have a 2019 Nexus Super C (Wraith 33 W) on an International Harvester Durastar chassis w Cummins diesel and Allison trans 2500 6 speed
theavy duty chassis w 22.5" wheels but only shocks and springs for suspension.
freeway transitions and frost heaves feel like a roller coaster w suspension bottoming out , and jolting the whole rig . Motorhome does not wander or drift or need constant adjustments side to side but veritcal road defects are hard on everyone..
I have looked at Air lift, Firestone air ride, Liquid springs ($$$$) and Koni or Bilstein shock upgrades.

Is there anyone who has gotten improved ride that can recommend a self installed fix ? or even a suspension package from a shop on the west coast AZ, NV or CA ??
Thanks for any ideas
Paddledoc
Your post brought back a memory of when I went in to buy a MH. I had researched all C's and decided it was between the Wraith and an Entegra. When I went in to make the final decision I told the Salesman which two I wanted to test drive and he said "both are great MHs but the Wraith will beat the hell out of you going down the road". I ended up buying the Entegra but that Wraith was a beautiful machine.
OldracerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:47 AM   #12

Call your local International dealer. I had a conversation about this very issue with mine and from what I recall there were two options. The first was an air suspension where you had to put air in the suspension from an external source. I think this one was around $1.000 to maybe $1.500. The second was a full air ride with a compressor etc, this one was around $5,000 as I recall. The Wondering Wagners on youtube did the spring upgrade. I want to say it was about $3,000 at a shop, someone else did the upgrade themselves for about $1,700 in parts as I recall. Mike Wagner is on the Facebook Nexus group and I think he talks about the spring upgrade on there too. Good luck and let us know what you figure out.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #13

I had a m2 chassis on our last rig with air rear. It still beat us up as you described, maybe not a severe since we had air ride seats. I used to keep the seat belt tight otherwise you felt somewhat out of control. One thing that really helped our rig was to run as light as possible. No water in any tanks and keep weight between the axles as much as possible. Maybe not what you were hoping to hear but every rig has limitations, plusses and minuses.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammond1980 View Post
I had a m2 chassis on our last rig with air rear. It still beat us up as you described, maybe not a severe since we had air ride seats. I used to keep the seat belt tight otherwise you felt somewhat out of control. One thing that really helped our rig was to run as light as possible. No water in any tanks and keep weight between the axles as much as possible. Maybe not what you were hoping to hear but every rig has limitations, plusses and minuses.
That's disturbing to hear on the M2 chassis you used to have. What model was it? I've test driven an older Dynamax M2 with full air ride on the rear axle and thought the ride seemed very good over rough roads/expansion joints. But, of course, this was like a 10 mile test drive--hardly real knowledge.

I always assume full air ride in the rear will make everything ride like a pusher, and maybe that's just incorrect.

Sorry for the semi-highjack, OP.