Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #1

Nexus Viper 29V

For the Nexus Viper 29V owners, have you had any issues with weight and traveling over weight? Short story, we purchased ours to find out we only have 160lbs to play with before we reach the 14,500 max which is unbelievable. We weighed and with only the essentials, no bikes etc. 2 average (less than 150lbs) adults, full tank of gas, all empty tanks we were at 14,900. What have you done aside from adding a trailer? Doesn’t make sense to have 4 additional seatbelts if humans can’t go with us.
ohau8622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #2

Have you spoken to the company?
Old 09-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #3

We sent a lengthy letter with all of the weight verifications, 1 from the DMV when we went to register the vehicle empty it was over weight, 2 from a CAT scale. No response.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #4

When did you purchase it?
Old 09-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #5

We purchased it 3 weeks ago from a private seller. The initial title has the vehicle from the factory weighing in at 13,515 with 1 person and a full tank of gas. The owner purchased it in 2019 and did not weigh it. Two weeks ago after we drove it home we took it to the DMV and it failed inspection for the reflectors, according to DMV the vehicle didn’t have any and it weighed 14,700. We scaled it all done on Sunday as if it came off the assembly line, with the only difference being a bedroom AC the 1st owner added so technically add 100lbs so now it’s 13,515. We made sure to add gas right prior to being weighed, we filled it, we made sure to have all of the tanks empty no water, no black or grey. Filled the propane so now you can add another 20lbs. for the life of us we cannot come up anywhere near the 13515 or let’s say 13,630 adding propane and the AC. Something is not correct at all. The CAT scale once we took everything out has us at 14,340. Front axle 4300, driver axle 10,060, trailer axle -20 (i don’t understand this one) subtract that from the 14,500 the manufacturer says is the max and it leaves nothing for 6 people to travel since we have 6 seatbelts and all of our necessities again without bikes, chairs etc. Something is not adding up with the manufacturers weight. Now I’m running through hoops to see what i can do to reinforce the axle and that’s going to be costly the same with purchasing a trailer but what dood is that if people can’t travel.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #6

Sorry to hear that. Is it still in warranty?
Old 09-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #7

No, but warranty doesn’t fall into this equation. It’s whatever they are doing on their end and registering with the state of Indiana as “real” weight.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #8

You should call and ask to speak to a manager.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #9

Dave use to run the show there at Nexus , don't know anymore because after having a bad experience trying to buy from them direct I've never considered a Nexus product again.

Its not just the 2018-19 models , I've seen at least 5 other Vipers different years and every single one less than 8K on the OD and the front tires were shot.
We just happen to be at one RV place and they had just brought one in on a trade.
So it hadn't been gone through by their service dept.
I went over and walked around it to see if the front tire wear was just like the others I've seen, this one had cords /steel belts showing the both front tires 7,900 miles on the OD !

I know this isn't helping you in any way. Just a heads up to watch tire wear .
OFDPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #10

Yes, we sent Dave Middleton a very detailed email but of course they are not going to respond unless they can really answer the question of the mileage. We are not in a position to sell it. We do love the floor plan great concept but it comes at a huge price. WE are going to see what it will cost to upgrade on reinforcement for the tires and axle and then go from there.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #11

160lbs is unreal. What did the OCCC yellow sticker say? That is where you may have an issue. I think it was Jayco about the same year that got into a heap of trouble for misrepresenting the true weight with what they printed on the yellow sticker.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:33 AM   #12

The only yellow sticker on the door is a notice re-torque axle. All other stickers that are not yellow has GVWR as 14,500.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:48 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
this is an odd duck... some one at the factore was not paying attention and just built them..

class action but that solves nothing ...

I can say that these fiberglass shelled models are heavier than the old fiberon laminated designs.. nicer paint less leaks.,....but they aare not light...

Being a B+ model is nothing short of a typical C class just a tad tigher here and there, same chassis etc..
that model is a few bells ad whistles and got a nice package for appeal and set up.

I am just thinking about the older 30 foot C classes and what they have, weigh etc.. my oldie tips 12,300 2 adultd, 2 large dogs.. , had no slides, old laminated, e350 lighter chassis, tires etc.. onan 1 ac .. but you have another ton.. ????? got me..

Forward weight on frt axle I can see, 2 slides the layout,, OK
some options in the 29v, elect steps, stabilizer, water filter system, metal ducted heat, composit walls...
I think the base unit is weighed and the the 29V model is built ... bang, heavy..

Regardless.. what do you do, quietly sell it move one,, bitch and moan, factory gonna do nothing.. they have built these for a couple years, are what they are..

Make sure you have good, tires to and pressures to hold the weight,,
possibly add some HD springs to the front and have a good spring shop do the rear..
YEAH YEAH axle weights.. i hear it now.. for 30+ years C class RV's have pushed the suspensions, get over it,, sorry.
Then good HD shocks .. yes dropping maybe 3k with tires and a Quality alignment one updated and loaded.. Align it your stuff in it.. That is how it goes down the road 80% of the time, the biggest algnment failuer,, is an empty RV.
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:46 AM   #14

Thank you for the info. We do like the floor plan, great design however it needs to be on a heavier chassis. At this time we are just going to work on reinforcing the axle. We have very good rated tires so that is a good thing. I did some research and seems like adding sumo springs to the back and front will reduce some of the stress and there’s something else that can be done or added for extra reinforcement. Yes, looking at about 2k when all is done but knowing that we will be traveling over the weight limit with just the basics we need to at least make sure it’s a little safer. Oh, let’s not leave out an enclosed trailer for the longer travels so we can take our bikes and canoes etc.