Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

No 12 volt in house

We purchased our new to us Minnie about 10 months ago. I have spent a lot of time on the forums and gathered great information. Now I have new issue that just started and I have not been able to find a solution. All electrical works with shore power and generator. The house battery is good and will start the generator. Problem is I am not getting any 12 volt power to the house fuse panel. Fuses on the solenoids and all other fuses that I can see are good. Thanks for any insight....
Wayspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
12vdc switch near entry door? Got bumped off?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #3

No... I've checked that. The switch has to be on for the generator to start.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #4

on mine their is a breaker on the generator also could also be a GFCI for the fridge in the outside panel where the fridge is connected. although these are AC, they coudl be preventing power to your converter
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #5

Thanks. I will look for the GFCI this weekend. Anyone else have any other ideas on why there would be no power to the converter?
Old 08-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

The converter turns 120Vac into 12Vdc. The converter is protected by a 120Vac breaker in the power panel. Check if the 120V circuit breaker for the converter has tripped. If not labeled, cycle all 120Vac circuit breakers off and then back on.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #7

Lets get off the 120 volt items, OP says it works on shore or generator power.

Its not the generator, GFCI or converter.

Back to the battery disconnect switch.

Have you tried starting the generator with the switch near the door off ? It may not need to be on. If it starts with it off, the switch or the solenoid may be the problem

Most battery disconnects are 60 to 80 amps. Generator starters draw double that.

Both of my MHs had seperate cables and breakers for house loads and the generator 12 volt starter power.

Your issue is between the battery and main fuse panel. There will be a breaker near the battery and the battery disconnect solenoid . Beyond that its just wire.

Get a meter that reads 12 volts and starting at the battery, follow the power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking

^^^^^^^ What twinboat sez, Wayne ^^^^^^^^

I have this failure occur about once every year. The PO of my coach told me on walk thru that he had lost all 12v stuff in the coach twice in the 3 yrs he owned it and he showed me the exact location of the breaker twinboat mentions (I owe him for that.) On my coach it is on the back/inboard wall in the baggage compartment ...... the one immediately aft of the entry door. If it is tripped, it is obvious and easily resettable. Dunno what trips it but it is not a big nuisance so "it is what it is" as far as I'm concerned.

I tried to look up your coach on the "winnebagoind.com" site but for some reason it isn't listed. So I looked up the wiring diagram for a 1997 29WQ. For that rig, the wiring diagram says the main 12v breaker is "Located in Battery Compartment at center right of vehicle." That breaker feeds other 12v breakers (on the 29 WQ) "Located in control center in rear dinette set." You might look in those areas and if no joy, call the Winnebago Service Center for tech support. They have the resources to enable you win the game of component "hide and seek" and are usually very helpful.

BTW- The wiring diagram for the 29WQ does, in fact show that the B+ for gen start is supplied by the coach batt disconnect sw .... AKA the "Salesman's Switch."

BTW2- I pulled the plug wire on my 4K Onan and measured 57 amps steady-state (starter) current draw a few years back (while trouble shooting another problem.) The inrush current is much more, of course, but I have no way of measuring that.

I'll attempt to attach the wiring diagrams for the 29 WQ.

Good luck on the fix, and safe travels.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 121587.pdf (1.09 MB, 23 views)
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Oh....... and FWIW, I'll attach a pic of the cover for the disconnect solenoid + the "boost solenoid" and the ckt breakers in question. Your rig, being older, is likely way different but ya never know. (It's the electrical box that my "TRIK-L-START feeds into.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trik L Start.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	258213  
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:41 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: 12vdc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayspell View Post
We purchased our new to us Minnie about 10 months ago. I have spent a lot of time on the forums and gathered great information. Now I have new issue that just started and I have not been able to find a solution. All electrical works with shore power and generator. The house battery is good and will start the generator. Problem is I am not getting any 12 volt power to the house fuse panel. Fuses on the solenoids and all other fuses that I can see are good. Thanks for any insight....
(On mine, battery and battery switch located under step); next to switch (with battery cable connections) are two small rectangular (40a & 60a) 12vdc CIRCUIT BREAKERS. These have RESET BUTTONS on the small ends, (sometimes hidden from view by cables). Feel for a tripped button that protrudes and push IN to reset.
Yours may vary, but usually within 18-inches of battery
Old 08-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #11

Thank you for the additional thoughts and information. I figured it was a switch or breaker that I was just not seeing. Between the wiring diagram and looking for some resets in the battery compartment I feel good about resolving the issue. The MH is down at the lake. We will be going down this weekend. I will report back with my findings. Thanks again!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: 23v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayspell View Post
Thank you for the additional thoughts and information. I figured it was a switch or breaker that I was just not seeing. Between the wiring diagram and looking for some resets in the battery compartment I feel good about resolving the issue. The MH is down at the lake. We will be going down this weekend. I will report back with my findings. Thanks again!
BTW, my CBs tripped twice (because) the solendoids for slides stuck engaged; replacing solenoids cured issue; you may still need to track your cause.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #13

Found the breaker! There is a bank of breakers inside a locked compartment above the propane tank All is well. Thanks for the help.

Tags
12 volt