Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2021, 04:00 AM   #1

No built-in black tank flush system - How To?

We just picked up a Gulf Stream Endura and it does not have a built-in Black Tank flush system like our old coach. What is the best way to properly flush the tank?
I have seen the wand cleaners you use thru the toilet - guess you have to run a hose all the way around the RV and i the door to the toilet? Is there a better way?
Are there any aftermarket flush systems you can install?
Any other "hacks" for this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2021, 04:47 AM   #2

Been chuckling over this for a couple decades now. Why does anyone in their right mind want a squeaky clean, sanitized place to put their poop? When is the last time anyone sanitized their septic tank at home??

If the inside of your rv smells, there is a leak in the system, do a smoke test and fix the leak.

Wallet too thick with money, filled with old dirty money? The RV holding tank industry has many products to quickly and efficiently remove it. This statement is wrong! They only take a wee bit of money, just a little at a time so people do not notice they are being robbed.

My opinion and worth what you are paying for it.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:01 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We owned 2 RVs without a flush system. When the black tank was empty, I closed the valve and the DW flushed the toilet 4 times. I let it sit while I dumped some of the gray water. Closed the gray, opened the black. Finished with Gray. Never had any problems over many years.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJeeper18 View Post
We just picked up a Gulf Stream Endura and it does not have a built-in Black Tank flush system like our old coach. What is the best way to properly flush the tank?
I have seen the wand cleaners you use thru the toilet - guess you have to run a hose all the way around the RV and i the door to the toilet? Is there a better way?

Our coach came with a wand. It was more trouble than it was worth.

We now dump the tanks , then drive home and pour 10 gallons of hot soapy water into the black tank through the toilet .

This procedure also cleans the toilet gate valve .

I then drive the coach the 5 miles to the dump station , letting the soapy water slosh around inside the tank . I then dump the tank and return home empty .

After getting home I put a couple gallons of water in the black tank to keep the bottom of the tank wet .

It's easy , keeps the tank clean and the level sensors working .

It's my solution to a dirty job.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #5

While I pull the dump valve, the wife is at the ready with about 3/4 of a five gallon bucket of water. When the flow is just about done, she pours the water in the toilet as rapidly as possible. Knife valve always closes easy and the bottom of the tank looks "clean"
Old 07-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJeeper18 View Post
The PO of my rig installed one of these. It works V E R Y well and has been trouble free for many years. There are install videos for devices like this one on youtube (On Edit: I just noticed there was an "owner install" video at the bottom of the Amazon page - - - he installed it on a trailer). The install was even easier on my Class C as you are looking at the side of the black tank (where the PO installed the rinser) when you open that bay door. The PO even installed a garden hose QD, so it is a cinch to hook up and use and I have a "special-use" (blue) hose for that.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-T...94885142&psc=1

After an initial flush, I let the rinser fill the tank for 2 or three minutes with the dump valve closed then open it......rinse and repeat. Just my 'sperience....no right or wrong way really.

Good times and safe travels to ya.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:31 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I installed one of the Tornado flush nozzles in our '06 Itasca's gray tank due to the PO's buildup of crud on the walls. It cleaned it out very well and eliminated the false sensor readings.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Been chuckling over this for a couple decades now. Why does anyone in their right mind want a squeaky clean, sanitized place to put their poop? When is the last time anyone sanitized their septic tank at home??

If the inside of your rv smells, there is a leak in the system, do a smoke test and fix the leak.

Wallet too thick with money, filled with old dirty money? The RV holding tank industry has many products to quickly and efficiently remove it. This statement is wrong! They only take a wee bit of money, just a little at a time so people do not notice they are being robbed.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

Until current RV all our trailers didn't have a 'Flush System' and the Holding tanks worked just fine
Our current RV came with Factory Flush System...used it a couple of times then quit bothering with it.
Waste of good water and WHY...it's a holding tank and is gonna get dirty next time you use it

Dump when FULL///WHOOSH///add couple full toilet bowls back into tank///repeat
*We also dump a full sink into the galley tank due to the stuff from Kitchen sink (grey tank...when we think about it...bathroom sink full of water)

Simple.........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:25 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The idea isn't to have a "squeaky clean" black tank. It's to make sure there are no "pyramids" to build up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:39 AM   #10
YC1

If you have access to the tank just install one. Be creative and think outside of the box.

On the opposite side of my water bay is a compartment closed by the same size door but was screwed shut from the factory. No pull handle or latch was installed. Behind it sits the water tank and gray and black tanks.

That large door now opens and is held shut by rare earth magnets and a physical latch.

Opening the area gave me access to find a vent pipe installed incorrectly. It was mounted almost to the bottom of the black tank and also no sealed properly. But I digress.

The in tank sprayer has another use. It can clean the sensor areas to help prevent false readings. Getting accurate readings is important for my RV because the toilet will stop flushing if it thinks it is too full.

My in tank sprayer was on the top of the end of the tank and did little to clean the opposite end where the sensors are. So fought that for some time along with the sprayer holes clogging up.

Adding a second sprayer in the sensor area solved the issue completely. However, I never was sure the tank was getting rid of all the settled solids. We full time and use ours heavily. At one time there was four full size people in here.

As things go I removed the in tank sprayer on the opposite end and replaced it with a clear deck plate. I can now inspect the tank anytime and use the large opening to give the tank a real clean a couple of times a year.

We use ton of water with our electric toilet and it is a macerator. Even with this setup the solids can build up a bit on the bottom of the tank and knowing it can get really clean is comforting.

And who here knows how to do a smoke test??? Would be interested is seeing that.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:40 AM   #11

The built in sprayer's don't really do a good job. After dumping I run the built in sprayer until it runs clear and then some. Then we do about 5 full bowl dumps you'd be surprised how much more comes out. Then I run the sprayer again. I don't do it to eliminate odors, I do it because like Atlee said to avoid a "Pyramid".
Old 07-29-2021, 04:02 AM   #12

RVJeeper18-

One way to get a lot of water into a tank without having to put it in from the top is to use a back-flush valve. I have used a Valterra Flush-King (link here) on both our coaches. I have also tried a similar product from Camco, and it did not work as well.

If you flush- either with an in-tank sprayer or a back-flush valve- knowing how much water you put in is important. A garden-hose flowmeter (link here) helps with this.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:32 AM   #13

Guess I am lucky, 2 travel travel trailers, 3 motorhomes 10 years full time in one and never saw a poop pyramid. I have heard of buildup in black tank from leaving valve open when hooked up to sewer. And had one issue with a macerator pump draining the fluids and leaving the solids in tank. Macerators need to be hooked up to chop and recirculate solids in tank to work 100% well.

You can google or you tube plumbing smoke test, same as a house but need to get creative with hooking up, duct tape works well. Plumbers have equipment for this, can be done with shop vac and smoke bombs from plumbing supply store.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:56 AM   #14
Community Moderator

If you have the space add one of these:
https://www.campingworld.com/flush-k...er-drain-flush

After dumping you can back flush. I had one on our previous Laredo 5th wheel and it did good.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank