Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #29
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
The problem with waiting for an ERS to come change your tire is that it might be a while... a very long while. Read through this and other RV Forums for an unlimited supply of horror stories about ERS response times. Keep in mind you will probably be sitting on the shoulder as traffic roars by.

It is great when they respond quickly and solve your problem but if my ERS {Coachnet} says they will be more than 20 - 30 minutes I will change it myself and get the heck out of the dead zone.

Also, by having the proper spare, inflated on the proper wheel not to mention all of the tools necessary to safely change the tire I have options. Any tow truck or good samaritan could seriously shorten the time spent at high risk.

Also double check with your ERS and verify your coverages. Some will not come to private campgrounds/RV Parks and some even balk at changing an inside dually tire {AAA}.

Read the fine print, you just might not like what you see.

If I'm on the shoulder with traffic roaring by I will not be on that shoulder changing a tire on my RV or vehicle.

Those other vehicles roaring by have been known to hit people changing a tire. I would rather wait until another vehicle shows up with large flashing lights.

I would also not allow a Good Samaritan to help because of the danger.

But... you certainly have the right to handle your flat tire in whatever way you think is best.

I also carry a full spare so that whoever shows up to change it can do it quickly without having to repair or find a replacement.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #30

Commercial Member

When we bought our 2008 and the 2016 Class-C we had a written list of "Must Have", "Must not have" and "It would be nice". This way we got what we wanted, including a place to mount the spare.
IMO too often people buy an RV based on the lights in the ceiling and "bling" around the TV rather than looking at the features and functions that are important to them as owners.

My Coachmen Freelander 22QB has 3/4" 12" x 15" (approx) Plywood well mounded in the forward end of the basement wall between a couple of studs. There is a 1/4" plate steel mount with 3 bolts welded to it that are the same size as the wheel studs. I use 3 extra lug nuts to bolt the wheel & tire to the plate and the plate is bolted to the 3/4" plywood reinforcement in the wall. The weight of the wheel & tire is on the floor of the basement. Afer 28,800 miles no sign of movement or loosening. The tire is out of the sun so it isn't being baked.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #31

follow - up

This may be by design but the tire does not fit into any of the exterior compartments. Even if it did it would take up an inordinate amount of space.

I will not bring it in the coach. That is just a bad idea. Short-term and in an emergency, maybe.

I did not think of inquiring to the manufacturer. My guess is that there is not an option for that through them. The salesman told me that "they"(whomever that is) don't want owners changing their own tires.

I get it. But, having the proper sized tire/wheel on-hand when needed is money in the bank.

If I may be allowed to hypothesize, I submit that it is a cost and time saving step in addition the new-found shedding of liability phase that is all the rage these days.

I am appreciating all of the tips and thoughts.

Searching On...

Scotty D
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #32
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I will not bring it in the coach. That is just a bad idea. Short-term and in an emergency, maybe.

Scotty D

What's bad about storing it inside?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #33

1. In the way.
2. Off-gassing.
3. 70 Lb. Projectile.
4. Rubber scuffing on everything.
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #34
tcg

Quote:
1. In the way.
2. Off-gassing.
3. 70 Lb. Projectile.
4. Rubber scuffing on everything.
It's under the bed in unused storage so not in the way.

Off gassing? Never noticed any smell but I guess there could be something. It is covered and I've not smelled anything when looking in the storage are but I guess it's a possibility, not one I'm concerned with.

Projectile? It's secured under the bed. I think my cat is a bigger projectile along with the dishes and microwave.

Rubber scuffing? Nah, it rolled right down the hall and fit nicely.

It's not a solution for everyone but it is an option that worked well for us.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #35

The 26HE doesn't have storage under the bed. It's on a slide and only has an outside storage. A tire won't fit.

The only interior space that would work is the bunk above the cab. I wouldn't even consider that an option unless it was an emergency.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #36

Quote:
I did not think of inquiring to the manufacturer. My guess is that there is not an option for that through them. The salesman told me that "they"(whomever that is) don't want owners changing their own tires.

I get it. But, having the proper sized tire/wheel on-hand when needed is money in the bank.

If I may be allowed to hypothesize, I submit that it is a cost and time saving step in addition the new-found shedding of liability phase that is all the rage these days.

I am appreciating all of the tips and thoughts.

Searching On...

Scotty D
Yes, I just suggested asking the MFG since THEY DO install them at the factory.
Hokie-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #37

In my 45 years of driving, I have had only one tire that needed repair (a slow leak that I spotted at a gas fill-up).

Now, for the first time in my driving history, I have a Class C, without a spare.

I have always bought quality tires, replaced them before they "aged out", stayed at or below the speed limit, and in my last 20 years of RV'ing, weighed my rig and have had a TPMS system. And, should the unlikely happen, I have road service through my insurance.

As I got older, I decided not to worry about "low probability" events that do not have a "high impact". Waiting for road service to appear, does not fall into my "high impact" category.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #38

Commercial Member

Get a TPMS. Most punctures will need minutes to pressure so you may be able to travel a couple miles to a rest area, off rampor emergency parking area.
till you loose 20% of the needed pressure you may not be doing damage to the tire.

My plan if/when my TPMS warning goes off is to slow a bit to be sure I have complete control of the vehicle. Keep an eye on the pressure report and look for location to pull over ASAP. With luck I will have a place where I can safely change my tire. OR be in a location where the service person can safely change the tire.
Yes tire failure is extremely low probability if you take care and monitor your tires. Having space for a spare tire, even if not mounted was on our "must have" selection list. I can keep an older tire, not tie up money with a new tire as a spare and still have some space to store some stuff inside the tire where the wheel goes. Not as heavy either.
Roadside Service can change and inflate a tire and Iam not stuck being forced to buy a way overpriced tire.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Get a TPMS. Most punctures will need minutes to pressure so you may be able to travel a couple miles to a rest area, off rampor emergency parking area.
till you loose 20% of the needed pressure you may not be doing damage to the tire.

My plan if/when my TPMS warning goes off is to slow a bit to be sure I have complete control of the vehicle. Keep an eye on the pressure report and look for location to pull over ASAP. With luck I will have a place where I can safely change my tire. OR be in a location where the service person can safely change the tire.
Yes tire failure is extremely low probability if you take care and monitor your tires. Having space for a spare tire, even if not mounted was on our "must have" selection list. I can keep an older tire, not tie up money with a new tire as a spare and still have some space to store some stuff inside the tire where the wheel goes. Not as heavy either.
Roadside Service can change and inflate a tire and Iam not stuck being forced to buy a way overpriced tire.
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #40

Oh, forgot to mention, for that situation of a nail/screw/etc in the repairable portion of the tread, I carry a tire plug kit. Inexpensive, small and negligible weight, and can be a lot easier than changing to a spare.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #41

My spare is mounted on the rear bumper and have not had any problems with it there, But it has the threaded rod for mounting the spare under the rear and completely out of the way would be nice, I have looked at the hand crank-up winches for spares for about $60 But I like the idea of a atv winch that ThePowells suggested and have seen some at a few garage sales for as cheep as $10 so I am going to maybe do that option. I also carry a electric impact from harbor frieght that works great and is just for the rv.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #42

Commercial Member

Tire Plug is not an acceptable repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982 View Post
Oh, forgot to mention, for that situation of a nail/screw/etc in the repairable portion of the tread, I carry a tire plug kit. Inexpensive, small and negligible weight, and can be a lot easier than changing to a spare.

Suggest you review the data book or reference manuals from your tire company. All the majors and DOT say the same thing "A plug only is not an acceptable repair"

The use of a plug can void any warranty and potenionallymake it non-repairable. Now That doesn't mean that using a plug may not be the best choice (side of highway , middle of the night etc) Just be aware that any plug is TEMPORARY at best.

Tags
class c