Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #1

No inverter, no start assist? Really?

I continue to be amazed at my 2019 Thor Quantum CR24. I had an issue with low starter battery so I looked around for the start assist from the house batteries.....there is none. And this is 2019 model. I'll have that remedied. So then I started looking closer....(you folks might wonder why I'm investigating this stuff just now. We had a 15 year old Golden Retriever who couldn't travel and we decided not to head out until he had passed on so the coach remained in storage for a while)....I started looking for the inverter or Zantrex or something to explain why I didn't have 110V when not plugged in. Hmmmm, no inverter. at lease none that I could find so if not plugged in I have to run the gen to get 110V. Who in the world would design an RV with no inverter or no start assist. WOW
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Inverters are often an extra cost option. Many smaller RVs do not have an inverter. Same for the start assist. Sounds like you did not do your homework on the model you purchased.

Ken
Old 11-28-2021, 03:08 PM   #3

Most gas engine RVs don't come standard with inverters, unless they have residential refrigerators.

Even my Axis has a Aux Start Switch.

The Aux Start circuit is usually also used for battery to battery charging, when a charging source is present.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:48 PM   #4

My old 2007 29’ Winnebago Aspect had a 1000watt inverter that powered the entire coach minus the AC for 20hrs +/- before supplemental generator charging was required. I also had an emergency start option as too. My start option consisted of my 2 house batteries being diverted and providing a charge to my engine battery. Hold the button for up to 2 minutes and you should have enough charge to turn the engine over.

In my new coach I have 2 inverters that power select items. Things such as tv’s, some plugs, the fridge, and probably some other things I haven’t figured out yet. I also have the emergency start button on the new coach. From what I read and heard it operates similarly to the Winnebago. Hold the button long enough to transfer battery power from one house bank to the starting bank and presto.

I do agree that all coaches, gas or diesel, should have the features at a minimum. They should be standard in my opinion as well. You can pay to upgrade the inverter size, but you should get one as a standard item.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Most gas engine RVs don't come standard with inverters, unless they have residential refrigerators.

Even my Axis has a Aux Start Switch.

The Aux Start circuit is usually also used for battery to battery charging, when a charging source is present.
Yeah, I would have thought my diesel Sprinter would have had an inverter just as due course. And actually I never thought to look for the start assist which in my previous RV's didn't charge battery to battery but was a momentary contact brining in the coach batteries for the start. I am sure there are other schematics out there. Interestingly every other Sprinter I looked at had the start assist. Except fo r the Thor. I am a victim of assumption...we all know about that.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Inverters are often an extra cost option. Many smaller RVs do not have an inverter. Same for the start assist. Sounds like you did not do your homework on the model you purchased.

Ken
Yep, you got it.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:22 PM   #7

Ours does not have an inverter and I can honestly say that I've never missed having one. Except for the microwave and the old crt TV, everything else works just fine without one. I can always use a portable inverter to power the TV if ever needed. Microwave, can either start the genset or use the propane fired oven.

I don't see an inverter as being a necessity unless the rig is equipped with a residential refrigerator.

Am surprised the rig doesn't have an auxiliary start switch/circuit.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:08 PM   #8

Inverter might be needed for folks who use a CPAP machine... depending on the output of the inverter. I don't completely understand it, but the CPAP needs a certain SINE? output?
RI Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:19 PM   #9

Oh my 2015 Forester 3011 there’s an aux switch on the left side of the driver seat down by the floor, would’ve never noticed it but read something about it on another thread so I went to look and there it was.
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgan View Post
Oh my 2015 Forester 3011 there’s an aux switch on the left side of the driver seat down by the floor, would’ve never noticed it but read something about it on another thread so I went to look and there it was.
Super, I'll take a look. I know its not on the dash but I haven't looked low and that would make sense since the battery is under the drivers seat. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NOT all on dash by driver. Have you looked for a BOOST or BATTERY Rocker switch next to coach door? That is where Mine is on my 21-yo; Then there was the Class-A Owner who had his rig 10-yrs before he found BOOST Switch on his driver seat base

Tags
inverter, no start