RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2020, 08:17 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker39 View Post
I think that weight distribution, described above, may be more significant than the above wheelbase to length ratio of over 55. My 2007 Town and Country Sport Plus is on the exact same chassis, and with the identical cab-over configuration - but with a wheelbase of 139" and an overall length of 22'-7". This yields a ratio of 51.2, however, my water tank is forward of the rear axle. My refrigerator, however, is located behind the rear axle, and my A/C is located directly over the axle. I think that the cab-over configuration is also significant - as opposed to those class C units with a cab-over bed. I'm a long-time RV'r and, based on my personal experience, the Town and Country handles very well, with little to no sway from passing trucks or crosswinds.
If you look closely at my diagrammed picture, you can see the distance between the top of the front tire and the fender above it is quite a lot. I have since replaced the front coil springs to lower rated ones which lowered the front by 1.25". The slight rear sag was adjusted favorably and the ride up front for my wife and I is more comfortable. A softer ride also helps keeps the rig together better. I was surprised how easy it was to replace the front coil springs. You can read about the project by CLICKING HERE. I included some pictures for clarity.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #44

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Minnie Winnie 22R on a Ford E350 chassis. As it came I found it a nightmare to drive on busy Interstates and tricky in cross winds. It beat me to a pulp trying to make the corrections. I added front and rear Hellwig anti-sway bars plus a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. This alone made a major improvement in all but cross winds. I had the camber increased to about 4.5 and 5.0 that helped a lots more. But a small tweak in the adjustment of the steering stabilizer made another marked improvement. Now semis passing either direction and cross winds are not a problem and I can handle it in such conditions one handed if desired.

I think finding someone that can do the tiny tweak on the steering stabilizer may be the key.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
We have a Minnie Winnie 22R on a Ford E350 chassis. As it came I found it a nightmare to drive on busy Interstates and tricky in cross winds. It beat me to a pulp trying to make the corrections. I added front and rear Hellwig anti-sway bars plus a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. This alone made a major improvement in all but cross winds. I had the camber increased to about 4.5 and 5.0 that helped a lots more. But a small tweak in the adjustment of the steering stabilizer made another marked improvement. Now semis passing either direction and cross winds are not a problem and I can handle it in such conditions one handed if desired.

I think finding someone that can do the tiny tweak on the steering stabilizer may be the key.
I think it's everything in combination making the difference for you.

Our situation was more dramatic.
Our rig is built on a 2007 E350, the last year of the earlier front grille design. Prior to 2008, Ford did NOT install a rear stabilizer bar......"NOTHING" back there, and the front stabilizer bar was the exact same one installed on their E150 van. The stabilization of our rig lacked much, so adding a heavy duty Roadmaster rear bar and replacing the under-rated front stabilizer bar with a heavy duty Roadmaster version, those two enhancements alone were quite beneficial.

I heard the brand new 2021 E350 and E450 chassis with the new mega-power V8 engine, Ford is including heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars on their "outfitted-for-motor-home" chassis. If I am right, that would be awesome.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #46

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would agree that it was the combination of "fixes". As stated Ford and others do not know what someone else may build on the top of their chassis. I think a few RV manufactures order cutaway chassis with some additional equipment and/or add it at their own plant. In many or most cases manufactures compete on a price point and blitz is a major selling point they don't "waste" money on what can't be be seen and many buyers have no idea to even check for.

But either way that minor tweak on the steering stabilizer did make a large noticeable difference. I guess my point here is these rigs can be modified to handle well if you want to. In our case it took about $2,500 of parts and labor to get it right.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledbiker1 View Post
To get the wheelbase-to-length ratio of a motor home, simply divide the wheelbase by the length of the vehicle. According to RVCG, under 51% is extremely dangerous; 51% to 54% is dangerous under many road condition and not adequate for general safety; 55% to 56% is marginal; 57% and over is usually steady on the road under most conditions. The higher the wheelbase-to-length ratio the safer it gets.
That's interesting, my Fleetwood 28y E450 comes out at 59% and it drives fairly well. When I'm between a couple of big rigs I've got to play with the steering wheel, but overall not too bad. It does have front and rear sway bars, and they look like they might have been installed by Fleetwood, because they're the only things underneath that aren't rusting. The rig is 10 years old and the sway bars look brand new.

Also got rid of my old Michelins and put on Toyos a year ago, and I immediately noticed it tracks better. I have been curious about upgrading the steering stabilizer, what kind of difference that would make.
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #48

I just removed my old OEM Ford stabilizer, it is shot! Not only does it look bad, but when I pull it in and out it has flat spots where it moves very freely, then it gets tight. Seems to have air in it.

By the way I had to remove the frame bracket because there's a bolt that you can't get out because it hits the tie rod. Not a huge deal, but just adds a few more minutes.

I looked at a bunch of the high-priced ones, and the less expensive Bilstein, and I decided just to buy a $32 Monroe and see how that works. On Amazon a lot of motorhome users gave it high marks, and because my Fleetwood was driving pretty decently anyway with this shot stabilizer, I figure it's probably going to help. I'll see how I can improve the handling on the cheap 😁

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-SC2955-Magnum-Steering-Damper/dp/B000C59SCE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201103_144817.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	306839  
Old 11-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #49

I imagine the "sensitivity" of a steering stabilizer means a lot. If it starts to be effective after "X" amount of motion, that doesn't help to keep the rig steady. To help with excessive steering compensation, the resistance needs to be at 100% with no movement in the steering system. Any "play" or graduated resistance is no good.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I imagine the "sensitivity" of a steering stabilizer means a lot. If it starts to be effective after "X" amount of motion, that doesn't help to keep the rig steady. To help with excessive steering compensation, the resistance needs to be at 100% with no movement in the steering system. Any "play" or graduated resistance is no good.
Absolutely, it needs to have the same tension at every point. This old one I can push the rod back and forth and I'll have about an inch of free play, but then I can push on it and it'll feel like constant tension, then I can stop and push it back and forth and I get free play again. I can also feel grinding in it when I push it in and out.

Will be interesting to compare the new one when I get it Thursday. I'll bet even that inexpensive Monroe is going to make a huge difference.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstier View Post
I have a 2020 Jayco Greyhawk 27u that I have done every upgrade to make the handling better. I am considering going super c, but I am looking for recommendations on ones that handle good. No sway etc. I have seen posting that some people have the same problem with the supers too.

Please send me the right one .............

Take a look at this link #3 looks like its been a long time problem!

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ems-76755.html
sledbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:08 PM   #52

Interesting, that link on the Jayco Forum tells me that I have just the stock E450 front sway bar, because where that white tag is is where I have a glossy spot on mine, which tells me it got wet and fell off.

I may think about getting that heavy duty sway bar,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20201103-190539_Chrome.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	306858  
Old 11-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I just removed my old OEM Ford stabilizer, it is shot! Not only does it look bad, but when I pull it in and out it has flat spots where it moves very freely, then it gets tight. Seems to have air in it.

By the way I had to remove the frame bracket because there's a bolt that you can't get out because it hits the tie rod. Not a huge deal, but just adds a few more minutes.

I looked at a bunch of the high-priced ones, and the less expensive Bilstein, and I decided just to buy a $32 Monroe and see how that works. On Amazon a lot of motorhome users gave it high marks, and because my Fleetwood was driving pretty decently anyway with this shot stabilizer, I figure it's probably going to help. I'll see how I can improve the handling on the cheap 😁

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-SC2955-Magnum-Steering-Damper/dp/B000C59SCE
You should seriously consider a self centering stabilizer like a Safe-T-Plus or similar.
Paul R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. View Post
You should seriously consider a self centering stabilizer like a Safe-T-Plus or similar.
I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm going to try this one out and see how it works. I don't know if I want to hassle with the self centering, and having to adjust the mounting point to make it go straight. Also on a quarantine budget 😎

Weather permitting I'm going to take a trip next week and see how it rides after I get it installed.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:55 PM   #55

Just found this ten-year-old thread in another forum. One poster who installed the Monroe had the same experience I had getting the old OEM stabilizer out, and suggested a boot that Monroe sells, which I just ordered.

Also mentioned was sometimes the self-centering stabilizers can put a lot of stress on the power steering pump, and even cause it to fail. That was something that was in the back of my mind as well.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24635363/print/true.cfm
Old 11-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #56

Just got the Monroe stabilizer and WOW what a difference! Operates very smoothly in and out with constant tension all along the way. Funny, they show a picture of the boot on the box, but they don't include the boot, but I've got one coming tomorrow. $32 for the stabilizer and $7 for the boot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201105_110500.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	306987  

Tags
motor, motorhome, motorhomes