RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #57

Heading back out to Joshua Tree with the new Monroe stabilizer, and it's making quite a difference!

On decent pavement I can just one hand it (though I usually keep two hands on the wheel anyway). I also re-tapped the holes for the frame bracket for slightly larger 7/16 bolts, because the stock M10s were fairly well stripped, so it's pretty solid now. All torqued down to spec.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201108_155814.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	307673  
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 04:31 PM   #58
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Glad you are happy now.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:28 PM   #59

My Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer is physically much larger than the stock Ford one and continues to do it's job well after 13 years and 40,000 miles....yes a sad small 40,000 miles.

I have two complaints about it.
1) It was terribly expensive
2) NO Lifetime Warranty
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:42 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Just found this ten-year-old thread in another forum. One poster who installed the Monroe had the same experience I had getting the old OEM stabilizer out, and suggested a boot that Monroe sells, which I just ordered.

Also mentioned was sometimes the self-centering stabilizers can put a lot of stress on the power steering pump, and even cause it to fail. That was something that was in the back of my mind as well.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
I asked that question of a regional top mechanic, stressing the power steering pump, and he said no. Seems like it would some anyway.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #61

You can't complain about getting 13 years out of it!

Just got home, put on 500 miles since Wednesday morning and it is a HUGE improvement over what it was before. My unit is just a 28 foot Class C so maybe that makes a difference. I could take my hands off the wheel and it keeps going straight, and I noticed when I went over bumps or potholes on the freeway, I had no shake at all.

Had a good side wind coming down SR 62 to I-10 where they have all the windmills, but it wasn't too bad at all.

Sadly though, I-10 East near Cabazon there was a big rig that jackknifed and went over on its side. Looked like it was almost across all the lanes, and the freeway was backed up for miles in miles as folks were not only going home from work, but heading out of town for the weekend. I hope everyone survived.

Here's a pic of my motorhome yesterday, if you can find it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201112_124530.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	307902  
Old 11-18-2020, 06:30 AM   #62

CharlesinGA. Thank you. We just traded our 5th wheel for a Class C (Gulf Stream Conquest 6320). I did not experience all the wind turbulence in my RAM 2500 pulling the 5th wheel that the Conquest has. Very disappointed in the lack of handling. I have white knuckles and mentally exhausted after an hour. Can't take either hand off the steering wheel. How many thousand dollars are these upgrades going to cost me?

Amstier, I like the handling & drivability of the Dynamax Istata 5 on a RAM (2500 I think) frame, but I didn't like the floor plan. I had a semi pass me and there was no sway. I didn't like the rather high price tag on the Dynamax either.
Rush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:38 AM   #63

CharlesinGA. Thank you. We just traded our 5th wheel for a Class C (Gulf Stream Conquest 6320). I did not experience all the wind turbulence in my RAM 2500 pulling the 5th wheel that the Conquest has. Very disappointed in the lack of handling. I have white knuckles and mentally exhausted after an hour. Can't take either hand off the steering wheel. How many thousand dollars are these upgrades going to cost me?

Amstier, I like the handling & drivability of the Dynamax Istata 5 on a RAM (2500 I think) frame, but I didn't like the floor plan. I had a semi pass me and there was no sway. I didn't like the rather high price tag on the Dynamax either.
Rush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #64

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 32 ft 5th towed with a RAM 3500 plus a Minnie Winnie 22R on E350 chassis. Towing the 5th I rarely ever notice effects of semis or cross winds. But at first the 22R was a killer as stated above. We drove it from New Mexico to Washington DC and I felt beaten up pretty bad from the bad handling. While in DC I bought front and rear Hellwig antisway bars plus Roadmaster steering stabilizers. Total cost for purchase and labor was about $1,500. Now semis are no issue and cross wind problems are near zero. Well worth the cost. IMO- all Class B & C RVs should come with quality suspension equipment. But it's a price point game where blitz is king and substance comes in second.

There are a few quality builders out there.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:00 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush2 View Post
...... Very disappointed in the lack of handling. I have white knuckles and mentally exhausted after an hour. Can't take either hand off the steering wheel. .......
You probably have too little +caster. Here is a link to our experience, circa 2010.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Harvard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #66

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did all your suspension changes make a great difference in the handling?

Which ones brought the most bang for the buck, or did you do them all at the same time?

What I find the most unsettling when driving my 2018 Jayco Redhawk 22J is it feeling top heavy, and the feeling of it wanting to tip over. I really get this sensation when turning into a right hand turn, and especially when changing from the right lane to the left lane. Since my funds are not unlimited, I'm planning on putting Sumo springs on all four corners and a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer first. Will these improvements help with the tipping sensation I get now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstier View Post
I did sumo spring front and rear, changed the front sway bar with helwig, changed the steer stabilizer, put shursteer track bar, change to bilstien shocks, it came with j-ride which suppose to have helwing swap bar, the caster was set to 4.5.

I found that Helwig makes a second additional sway bar for the rear, I '' try that next. But I am ready to try another rig, but I want to make sure that I wouldn't have to do that if I go super c.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #67

In reading about this, I've found a lot of mentions about wheelbase to length ratio affecting handling. My Tioga 28y ratio is 59%, and it does handle pretty well.

https://rv.org/blogs/news/short-wheelbases-and-accidents-go-hand-in-hand
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201119_061835.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	308545  
Old 11-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #68

I decided to try a fifth wheel and stop trying to improve the handling. I already have a pickup and after talking to a number of people with fifth wheeler If you arenít comfortable itís time to switch I thought about the dynamic but I didnít want to take a chance again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush2 View Post

amstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #69

A Class C motorhome has a very high center of gravity and even with dual rear wheels there is going to be noticeable sway and problems with cross winds when driving. A trailer, especially a pop-up travel trailer will have considerably less problems in high winds. But then one ends up with a 45 foot or longer travel rig with fewer options for making stops along a route or in finding places to camp in public campgrounds.

I have noticed over the years that when it is extremely windy the pro truck drivers will pull into a rest stop and take a nap but the RVers tend to keep on going as if they were late for a funeral.

Just as there are routes with steep grades there are also routes where gusty wind is much more likely and this should be taken into consideration when planning travel routes or the best time of the year to travel in an area.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calson View Post
Just as there are routes with steep grades there are also routes where gusty wind is much more likely and this should be taken into consideration when planning travel routes or the best time of the year to travel in an area.
If one is traveling to an unfamiliar area (pretty common), it's pretty easy to find out about steep grades. How does one find out whether or not there are areas especially prone to wind on their route?

Tags
motor, motorhome, motorhomes