Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2020, 06:16 AM   #1

Non ethanol fuel

Anyone use it in their v10? Available locally. Any difference in v10 function?
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2020, 06:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Anyone use it in their v10? Available locally. Any difference in v10 function?
I inadvertently bought a tank on a trip last year and noticed no difference in performance or mileage. Logically, there should have been, but it was so minor I couldn't tell the difference.

It's so much more expensive, though, that even if I did get some improvement in mileage it'd have to be a lot to matter.

Edit:
The tank I bought wouldn't have been a full tank, obviously, unless I'd let it run dry. I think I bought about 50 gallons.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:25 AM   #3
Community Moderator

I put in my cars often. Get about 8% better fuel mileage. Usually 89 or higher octane as well.

I try to support non-ethanol fuel at local stations so they continue to see a demand for it and continue to sell it. If you have any engines that don’t see regular use, you really want to store them with non-ethanol fuel, since it degrades much slower.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:07 AM   #4

Same here. Use it in my car. Seems to make it run better. A tank lasts longer without the ethanol.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #5

I use it in my yard equip, portable generator and snow blower. Major difference in how they run...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #6

Gasoline around here is supposedly limited to 10% ethanol. Every gasoline combustion engine we own is fine with this. From my own personal experience, I've never had a problem using gasoline with ethanol. Long term storage has never been an issue. And no, I don't believe in using fuel additives. I also know darn well that I'd be in the hole money wise because it would never provide enough benefit to offset its initial higher per gallon cost.

Newer gasoline engines from the factory are made to work with ethanol fuel so I doubt seriously there'd ever be any advantage in using ethanol free.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
I use it in my yard equip, portable generator and snow blower. Major difference in how they run...
What kind of difference? From chainsaw to lawn tractor, I have a lot of yard equipment and have no issues with how any of them run with ethanol.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
ethanol at 10% is not too bad it is more of the fuel quality stinks, fuel is formulate currently for use in a fuel injected motor, computer managed..
Why becasue the burn quality stinks compared to fuel produced years back,,,,
this is why small engines and older carbed engines run like poop or are hard to start, sure some are fine , yes...

In our powersports shop we have constant ethanol related issues from the ethanol gathering water and corrosion .. an RV drinks so much fuel it never goes bad LOL
But we have tested fuel in acting up ATV and cycles that local pumps have had 20-27% Ethanol... ,, I have personally got the fuel and then filled my Murano, tested the fuel at 23% ethanol, Murano still ran ok, but MPG when fron 21-23 to <18... then thru an o2 code....

Non ethanol can give better miles as it is all in the math.. E85 in a flex fuel will take MPG from 21 with e10 to 16-17 with e85... but e85 is cheap..
takes 2-2.5 times the ethanol by volume to make the same btu power as real gas...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Gasoline around here is supposedly limited to 10% ethanol. Every gasoline combustion engine we own is fine with this. From my own personal experience, I've never had a problem using gasoline with ethanol. Long term storage has never been an issue. And no, I don't believe in using fuel additives. I also know darn well that I'd be in the hole money wise because it would never provide enough benefit to offset its initial higher per gallon cost.

Newer gasoline engines from the factory are made to work with ethanol fuel so I doubt seriously there'd ever be any advantage in using ethanol free.
Agree. Except I'm a Seafoam junky on layup. It works for me. I figure if it aint broke don't fix it...
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
ethanol at 10% is not too bad it is more of the fuel quality stinks, fuel is formulate currently for use in a fuel injected motor, computer managed..
Why becasue the burn quality stinks compared to fuel produced years back,,,,
this is why small engines and older carbed engines run like poop or are hard to start, sure some are fine , yes...

In our powersports shop we have constant ethanol related issues from the ethanol gathering water and corrosion .. an RV drinks so much fuel it never goes bad LOL
But we have tested fuel in acting up ATV and cycles that local pumps have had 20-27% Ethanol... ,, I have personally got the fuel and then filled my Murano, tested the fuel at 23% ethanol, Murano still ran ok, but MPG when fron 21-23 to <18... then thru an o2 code....

Non ethanol can give better miles as it is all in the math.. E85 in a flex fuel will take MPG from 21 with e10 to 16-17 with e85... but e85 is cheap..
takes 2-2.5 times the ethanol by volume to make the same btu power as real gas...

How did you test your fuel for ethanol content?

Also, as a side note, I learned a few years ago that Nebraska does not test fuel sold for ethanol content.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #11

"Flex fuel" vehicles have a fuel line sensor that judges how much alcohol content there is in the fuel so the computer can tune the engine accordingly. Which is what makes it a flex fuel vehicle. With a fairly high end ODBII scanner one can read what the computer reads from that sensor (along with many others).
Some vehicles may also display the percentage themselves somewhere. I haven't looked.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
How did you test your fuel for ethanol content?

Also, as a side note, I learned a few years ago that Nebraska does not test fuel sold for ethanol content.
Fuel test.kit. or use a graduated cyl.
Put in 300cc. Of fuel
Add 50cc water. Shake well
Watch seperatin. After a couple hours. Fuel will be less.
If field is at 270 and water is now 80
You have 10%. Ethanol..
Water bind with ethanol

THIS IS BASIC TERMS
Old 05-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
There is not really a entanol sensor.. The system sense the extreme lean condition of e 85 fuel mix and compture adjusts.

If you have 10 gallon regular in flex vehicle. And add 20 gallon e85. You have closer to a e 55. Lol.. Ecu compensates. Next fill of e85. You are at e77 maybe.

O2 sensors feed back and ecu gets happy
Old 05-03-2020, 07:40 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
The concern with ethanol fuel is that it readily attracts and absorbs water. As little as 1/2 of one percent water can cause the ethanol to separate and settle to the bottom of the tank...(phase separation) The engine may then draw only the ethanol/water mix and run very lean and damage the engine, or not run at all.
Small engines, especially 2 stoke, or RV's that are stored for long periods and at lower temps are prone to this problem,
Water from condensation is often the problem, so store equipment with a full tank.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel