Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no such class from any manufacturer. This is a marketing term used by dealers. A class B is a customized van that may be a bit wider, longer, and higher but still maintains the look of a van. A class C has a van or truck cab and chassis with no body. The house is added and the chassis may be modified by the house manufacturer. These come in 3 flavors one would have the full cab over area with a full sized bed and enough head room so you could sit up. This would be considered a traditional C. Another would have a modified more aerodynamic cab over that would house an entertainment center and a half bed or just a full bed but not really have a lot of headroom. This newer type is often referred to as a B+ but a more accurate name would be a C- (more aerodynamic, less headroom). Most dealers are pretty smart in knowing that you would not want to drive something called a C- so they came up with B+ (a marketing term). And yet another type would be a medium duty truck cab and chassis with a larger house in the traditional C configuration. These are called super C's. As far as I know there are no manufacturers that sell a B+, just A, B, C, and super C. Winnebago calls my Itasca Cambria a class C, My local dealer (who is a multi year circle of excellence winner) sells it a a class B+. I call it what it is, a class C.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
There is no such class from any manufacturer. This is a marketing term used by dealers.
I beg to differ but the websites for Lexington (Forest River), Thor, Holiday Rambler, Nexus and a few others all list "B+" motorhomes in their line-up.

My understanding was that the term B+ started with a few manufacturers of B's using a hybrid chassis developed by using a DRW rear end, but with only SRW mounted on it and widened factory sheet metal, they called it a B+to differentiate the wider models from the 'standard B' models.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post

My understanding was that the term B+ started with a few manufacturers of B's using a hybrid chassis developed by using a DRW rear end, but with only SRW mounted on it and widened factory sheet metal, they called it a B+to differentiate the wider models from the 'standard B' models.
Perhaps it's the same as a Class C versus a Super C. Not much change so it seems like saying "B+" is a way of trying to say "fancier".
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I beg to differ but the websites for Lexington (Forest River), Thor, Holiday Rambler, Nexus and a few others all list "B+" motorhomes in their line-up.

You are correct (although I think this is a recent change for the manufacturers) but if you look at what they are now calling a "B+" do they more closely resemble a true class B (van that can be wider, longer and higher like your pic) or a modified class C (cab chassis, more aerodynamic, less headroom).
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW5000DRIVER View Post
Perhaps it's the same as a Class C versus a Super C. Not much change so it seems like saying "B+" is a way of trying to say "fancier".
I wouldn't say a 'super C' is any fancier, but they are built on a substantially larger chassis than a traditional C is, all that Ive seen were built on a 3+ ton medium duty truck chassis.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class definitions:

Class A - Manufacturer starts with a chassis (frame, wheels, axles, engine, steering wheel, etc.) and adds a box on top with everything else.

Class C - Manufacturer starts with a van or pickup chassis. Originally they would have to cut the back of the van or pickup down to the frame, but now the chassis are delivered with the rear section missing. These retain the van or pickup front end, dashboard, drivers/passenger seats and often some of the driver/passenger ceiling.

Class B - Manufacturer starts with a van, sometimes incorrectly called a van conversion. They may add a popup to the roof, and/or slides, but a majority of the van skin is still in the original form.

All of the above has fresh water, sinks, kitchen, bathroom and grey/black water storage.

Van Conversion - Similar to a Class B, but has no kitchen, bathroom or grey/black water storage.

Bus Conversion - Don't know why this would be listed separately because it is really a Class B.

So? What is a Class B+? The ones I have seen are really Class C's. It didn't have a bed over the cab, but is that really a required Class C attribute?
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Our first motorhome was a Class C 18' Fireball. I think it was a 1975? Anyway, we didn't know it was small. Was pretty good sized compared to the 10' Holiday slide-in camper preceding it!

There were 3 of us, then, plus our German Shepherd. The only thing I disliked was having to tear down the dinette to make a bed, so that was a main reason for moving on from it.

JoAnn
1999 Tradewinds 7371
Spokane Valley WA
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #36

Quote:

^ that's a really cool looking Dodge.

the term "B+" is more of a marketing thing than it is an actual class. Widebody class Bs have been around for years now. Some manufacturers classified the difference between Cs and B+s as one having a top bunk, and one not, but this of course has changed, as many Cs have no bunk (top bunks are starting to become a rare feature actually)...so the term is open to interpretation. But not to insurance companies that is.

Many, if not most insurance companies feel that if you have dual rear wheels, and have a weight rating of over....can't remember what it is off hand, but lets say 11-12k lbs, and are on a cut away van chassis, your a Class C. We were recently camping at our favorite spot outside of town, and at the park, in the same section as we were, there was about 8 or 9 MHs all traveling together. I struck up a conversation with them around when they were out having a fire, and 4 of them said they actually had B+s, not Cs...."a totally different class" one guy claimed. So just for kicks, I told them to go check their insurance info. 2 of them said "class C", the other two just said "motorhome", but they were with a different company and from a different province.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #37

Here's a rediculasly long explenation as to the exact definition and comparison of a C vs B vs B+:

Link: RV.Net | Class Class C vs Class B+ Motorhomes, Officially?

All this made me laugh
JTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #38

I see these all the time come through our town on the way to Tofino. Most of the time the people using them are tourists from other countries.
Campermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #39

Click image for larger version

Name:	TahoeI.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	24478He had to step out to think? Live in 23.5 feet through a North Dakota winter in a trailer that didn't go anywhere. And this is with the blue board removed from the windows.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I really don't know for the money spent I would get a pickup and add an insert. they both have nearly the same room but you can use the pickup for other things.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Talking It's like seeing bigfoot and getting a photo

I saw this at the KOA in San Diego, CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-12_11-25-29_301.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	24816  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Living just down the road from a campground I see many different rigs going by. A couple of weeks ago I saw a VW beetle that was made like a class c go bye. I did a search on the web and found some but I can't seem to download a picture of them. In any case It's what I call a small rv. If you do a search you'll see what I mean.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote