Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #1

NSA - Ready Brute Elite 2

We are new Class C Rv'ers and looking to tow our Jeep 4 down. We have been going back and forth between Blue Ox and Air Force One or Roadmaster with Invisibrake. Now I see there is another option which includes braking system - the NSA Ready Brute Elite 2. Does anyone have any information/experience on this system?
Mojito Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 02:43 PM   #2

We’ve used one to pull 2 different Jeep Wrangler behind 2 different coaches.

Easy to hook up, easy to transfer between toads and coaches, and most importantly uses the toads inertia to apply its own brake force.

Just learn the proper way to hook to your toad, pull out and drive a few yards, stop and check the arms are locked and the pull cable is loose and safelyenjoy the roads!

You’ll hear horror stories from people who likely didn’t set theirs up right, either at installation or when hooking up after a disconnect. And it can happen - just follow procedure and doa check stop. You’ll be good.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #3

I've used it for 4 years without any issues. I followed this guys videos to the T.

https://youtu.be/GDid5PpEuF4

There are six videos I believe and did everything as he instructed. Follow along step by step and you will be happy as I am. I really like how the light on my dash shows me when the actual brake on the Jeep is being depressed on not just the cable on the Ready Brake being activated. Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:30 PM   #4

I don’t have the whole package (I already had a tow bar ) so just added the Ready Brake. After three plus years have had no issues, works great. No power requirements for the Jeep (2015 JK Sahara). I previously had a portable brake system that I had to put in/ take out and was a total PITA. Highly suggest you take a close look at the Ready Brute system.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:40 PM   #5

Mojito Mama-

The Demco AirForce One is for air-brake-equipped coaches. If your Class C has hydraulic brakes, you'll want to consider the Demco Stay-in-Play Duo instead of the AirForce One. They are similar units.

I had a Stay-in-Play Duo in my toad, and it worked well behind both our 27-foot Class C and 31-foot Class A. If the Ready Brake/Ready Brute/Ready Brute Elite doesn't meet your needs, the Duo is worth a look (in my opinion).
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:52 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had the original ReadyBrute tow bar and ReadyBrake since 2007. I've towed my Jeep Cherokee 50K+ miles without trouble.

The ReadyBrake is the only braking system on the market that is a closed loop system (I think). The inertia of the toad pressing against the hitch determines the amount of braking applied. Once adjusted you never too too much, never too little braking even if you change the weight of the toad by adding or subtracting cargo in the toad. No readjustment needed!

With most (maybe all) of the other systems the braking is sensitive to the weight of the toad. Extra stuff in the trunk can make it brake less than it should. If it is adjusted with the extra stuff and you take the stuff out it may brake too much. Too little braking will increase your stopping distance, too much braking and the puny brakes on the toad will be trying to stop your coach!
Old 09-26-2022, 08:04 PM   #7

BTW/FWIW - just be certain to get the Ready Brute II - don’t get the more economical Ready Brake which you can use with your own tow bar.
The Ready Brute makes the tow system longer and you end up with another coupling joint in the tow “chain” - which allows for more wiggle and requires another pinto hold the assembly together.

FWIW II - I searched and found/bought ours from a Craigslist or Facebook listing. Saved a few bucks.
Did the same for the baseplates for both Jeeps.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I switched from a BB system to the ReadyBrute and am VERY happy.

No more fiddling with the BB unit or looking for a place to store it.

Also, it's a proportional system, meaning it only applies the brakes as much as needed. Even if you forget to pump the brake pedal to get the stored vacuum out, it won't skid the tires like I did one time when a coyote ran out in front of me.

Now it's simply unhook the tow bar, safety chains, light cord and actuator cable and I can drive away. Sort of handy if you get in a pickle at a gas station or parking lot.

BTW, the brakes don't apply until there's around 250 pounds of force pushing on the tow bar, so quite often if I slow down taking it easy, the toad (2010 Ranger PU) brakes don't even come on. I went over the scales the other day and my Ranger is just under 4000 pounds loaded with bicycles and a dry box.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:34 PM   #9

Another ReadyBrute Elite owner here.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:00 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A lot of us have installed the ReadyBrute ourselves. It took a couple of hours on our Wrangler in the garage using hand tools. System has been flawless. We used the Curt wiring harness for Wrangler and a RockJock mounting kit instead of a base plate. Others have used a replacement bumper that does the same thing. It's all just bolt on and drilling a couple of holes, no cutting or welding.

At the campground, it only takes a minute or two to hook or unhook. One of us usually does it by themselves while the other is doing something else.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:12 AM   #11

MrMark52 is correct about getting the system versus just the Ready Brake, especially if you are starting from scratch. In my case I already had the tow bar so just added the brake. As far as the wiggle I solved this with two clamps designed for that purpose. Works well.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:59 AM   #12

Another very happy Ready Brute Elite user here. We pull a wrangler behind a Class A gasser. I swapped from a Blue Ox system to the RBE about 4 years ago and couldn’t be happier.

The NSA RBE or RBE2 is the best towbar and braking system on the market for a gasoline powered coach.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:18 PM   #13

Thank you all so much for all your experienced replies. Sounds like the Ready Brute Elite II is the way for us to go!
Mojito Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:49 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Another happy Ready Brute user here. Prior, I had a Roadmaster All Terrain with a Brake Buddy Select Vantage. Not having the "box" to deal with & stow I love. The RB tow bars are significantly heavier than the Roadmaster bars, so I do struggle to get it set in the hitch & having back issues doesn't help. So, once it's on the coach, it stays there for the duration of the RV-ing season. I don't take it off until I store it for winter. I wish I had a cover for the bars like I did the Roadmaster. I tried ordering one but it was backordered (supply chain issues) indefinitely. So I just use a small black trash bag & bungie that to the bars to protect it when it's just hanging out not pulling my CRV.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote