Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #1

Oil Change on the Road

We're currently traveling out west from Florida and I had a question about getting an oil change. First, I had the oil changed just prior to leaving for our trip and Ford's recommendation was that I change the oil again in 5000 miles. It's 5W20 oil and not synthetic. Our total trip is going to be about 6,200 miles. I'm going to call Ford tomorrow and ask them how they came up with 5,000 miles and if I can stretch that recommendation by 1,200 extra miles. However, I'd be interested in what you think about that.

My real question for the forum, however, is how you get an oil change while on a trip? Do you schedule ahead with a dealer or a certified RV shop or are there mobile RV technicians who can come out to your site. I kind of doubt the latter but I'm wondering what you do about oil changes on the road when your travel exceeds your mileage for your next oil change.

Thanks, as usual.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #2

Truck or MH?
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Dude, about any quicky lube can do a Ford E450, call around for one that has the headroom for your rig. I would go to a dealer if, and only if, they were the last place on earth, not before. I like 5000 miles for my cars because I can see it on the odometer so easily. I use 5000 +/- 500 for my daily drivers, annual for the rest. My DP it's 10,000 +/- 1000 or annual. Keepin' it easy 'cause I ain't too brite.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #4

Talking about oil change for the motor home.
mjschocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

If you can't find a Ford dealership with enough room for your rig, try to find a truck stop with drive thru truck bays. They're usually more than big enough and often carry oil and filters for gas engines as well as diesels. I got mine changed at an Irving Truck Stop in Houlton, ME on our class A gasser last year. They had the right oil, a Ford part number recommended filter, and did the front end lube as well (all 9 points, I asked him afterwards if he found them all, and he said "yep, all nine of 'em", so he knew). All for around $40. Took a little while because there was only one tech guy, he did it all, and had to run up and down the stairs from the shop floor to the pit and back to do everything.
Also, I've asked service guys before, and have been told if you use synthetic oil, you can usually stretch the change interval a bit, maybe 1500 miles extra. Just watch the oil level and color.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mist quickie lube can handle. Call around to a few.

But I would worry about 6200 miles before changing... Just do it after your trip.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #7

What is the oil change interval recommendation in your owners manual?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #8

Great question. Owner’s manual says 7,500 miles with synthetic oil. The dealership put in non-synthetic oil and the reminder sticker on the windshield has it for 5,000 miles.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I would go with what your owner's manual says. The 5K recommended by the dealer is for their money making purposes.

I get my Jeep GC oil changed at the dealer because they have a good deal and they are quick. They put a little sticker up that says to change oil in 3K miles

The 3K oil change went out with the dinosaur
Old 08-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
You might also Google for a Mobile Mechanic who does oil changes. Just had mine done while in Colorado Springs. Came to my site and price was similar to any shop.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #11

We used Wally World for our synthetic oil change. Ford would not co-operate!!!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I would go with what your owner's manual says. The 5K recommended by the dealer is for their money making purposes.

I get my Jeep GC oil changed at the dealer because they have a good deal and they are quick. They put a little sticker up that says to change oil in 3K miles

The 3K oil change went out with the dinosaur
We bought a new Subaru Forrester and we included the services up to 60K miles. The recommended oil change interval was 7500 miles, and every time it was changed, they put 3,000 miles for the return. Rather than the 8 changes that we paid for (at a discount), we ended up with about 20 and it included antifreeze, transmission and differential fluids at the final service. They asked if I wanted to upgrade to the synthetic differential fluid and I did, at no cost.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #13

You shouldn't have any problems going 1200 miles over on the oil change. The 5k engine manufacture oil change suggestion is based on average driving which includes condensation from cold engine starts every 25 miles that your long trip oil is not experiencing. For peace of mind you can send in a oil sample for analysis if you are really concerned, but it will come back fine. As far as getting the oil changed, just drive into any quick oil change shop. If they can't get your MH into the garage, most have jacks to change your oil in the parking lot if needed (they want your business and don't want you to just drive away).
I use Rotella 5W40 syn oil in my Chevy truck and even though I change oil every 5k miles, my 3 oil analysis samples have recommended the oil change could go to at 10k plus. Most large trucking firms change oil based on samples sent in for analysis which will determine when the oil gets changed, not the miles. Soon that will be the norm for all oil changes!!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #14

We've been doing long trips (10k-15k) each year for the last 10 years. Vehicle I've had up to this year called for changes every 5000 miles.

Oil, funnel, filter, drain pan and shop towels can be had at most any auto parts store. I would then change the oil and filter in the parking lot. (find a shady spot)

Give the old oil to the part store to dispose of. Donate the drain pan and funnel back to them for the next guy that might need to borrow it.

Done in 30-45 minutes, and less expensive than going to a shop, plus I know it was done right.

I would not go longer than recommended (I would, and have, gone less miles than recommended), oil is the lifeblood of your engine and you can only be helping it by changing it out. Long hot days, especially with a heavy load, can break down the dino oil fairly quickly.

If at some time in the future I get to the point where I don't want to/or can't change the oil and filter myself, I would go to a quick lube type place or a truck service center.
KM Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote