RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #1

Unhappy On Demand Water Heater Problems

Problems with an On Demand Hot Water Heater.

I have a Girard Model GSWH – 2 Tankless Water Heater in my 2017 Tiffin Wayfarer Motor home. The problem is intermittent and frustrating. It works properly about 20% of the time. I do a lot of dry camping and four days without a shower is unacceptable.
I purchased this motorhome used and the issue has been present from the very beginning. I have had it into the RV place where I purchased the motorhome. Their hourly rate is $140 and after many hours they could not get it to malfunction. I have wiggled wires, reset, and completed the flow rate test. ( 1 gallon per minute) It passed with flying colors. I have called the Girard helpline once. He suggested the flowrate test. Since I can not find anyplace to take it, what else can I check to solve this problem?
Ivygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #2

Dont have an answer but mine is brand new and does not work worth a darn...have a new Forrest River XLR 39 AMP 5th Wheel...this tankless hot water heater has been a POA to date...mine works 10% of the time...very, very tempoermental...wish I had opted for the old style hot water heater now...
T
Gonna try and all the help line at Girard tomorrow if they have one. Will respond back if I can find some helpful info....
Big Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:40 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I ran into a couple in Vegas who were so frustrated that they paid Camping Work to rip out the on-demand water heater and install an old-style tank water heater!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #4

You didn't state specific what issue is just that "....intermittent and frustrating. It works properly about 20% of the time."

Dealer checked it out, tested it BUT was that using a city water/hose OR your pump?

Here is the TECH SERVICE MANUAL
Great Info and may give you ideas to check/test
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...e%20Manual.pdf
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #5

On Demand Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You didn't state specific what issue is just that "....intermittent and frustrating. It works properly about 20% of the time."

Dealer checked it out, tested it BUT was that using a city water/hose OR your pump?

Here is the TECH SERVICE MANUAL
Great Info and may give you ideas to check/test
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...e%20Manual.pdf

Thank you for the Tech service Manual
When I wrote it works intermittently, I meant the “little flame” and the “fan” do not come up on the display when the water pump is on. There is no hot air coming out the exhaust pipe on the outside of the unit. All of this means I don’t get any hot water.
The dealer filled it with water and used the pump as well.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #6

On Demand Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Andy View Post
Dont have an answer but mine is brand new and does not work worth a darn...have a new Forrest River XLR 39 AMP 5th Wheel...this tankless hot water heater has been a POA to date...mine works 10% of the time...very, very tempoermental...wish I had opted for the old style hot water heater now...
T
Gonna try and all the help line at Girard tomorrow if they have one. Will respond back if I can find some helpful info....
Did you get any helpful information from Girard service when you called them?
Old 09-28-2020, 11:29 PM   #7

I have not yet attempted to call for factory help. I did buy a variable rate water pressure regulator and set the pressure to approximately 55 pounds. The unit seems to work pretty well with that pressure as it’s obvious the water pressure is what activates the operational features of this tankless hot water heater. Having said all that I’m going to use it for a little while but I’m not at all sure that I’m gonna stick with it because it’s a totally different procedure than the old fashion furnace type hot water heater.

I will be happy to repost if I end up calling the factory as I mentioned that I would. The only reason that I didn’t call them was because the ajustable water pressure device helps solve some of the problem.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #8

On Demand Hotwater heater

Big Andy,
Thank you for your update.
I have an appt. with a dealer and I will definitely mention the pressure regular.
I appreciate anything you learn from experience..

Ivygirl
Old 10-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #9

FYI...while the tankless water heater is working well with city water at 55 lbs input pressure, it will not stay lit up heat wise if I use the water pump from the fresh water tank..my conclusion is that there must be some water input pressure adjustment. I need to read the manual to see where that adjustment might be. If I cant find it, then I will attempt to call the factory for help.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #10

Adjustable water pressure valve....Approx $26 from Amazon
Old 10-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #11
Commercial Member

adequate water pressure is the answer. i installed a new pump with a high flow rate, and set the pressure as 55 lbs of pressure, or near as i could with a gauge, and it works ok.
i have the newer one with a programmable thermostat, and use only the hot water side of the shower faucet. i mean with the one lever kind, all the way to hot.
it maintains 104 degree water continuously. without being hooked to city water.
as i said, adequate pressure is the answer.
i do not work for girard, nor do i receive any compensation from them.
i work full time for hwh corp.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #12

Thank you! Keep me posted. So frustrating.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #13

I think the question is answered...55 lbs water pressure and the unit works well...

Guessing I need to install a new water pump so that house pressure is also 55 lbs as you state...

My unit working well as long as water pressure is 55 lbs....

Given I have a new Forrest River 5th wheel...the Mfg should installed a water pump that delivers 55 lbs since this is what seems to make the Girard tankless work well....
Old 10-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #14

@azpete,

What brand of house water pump did you buy to get the 55 lbs of fresh water tank water pressure?

Thanks

Big Andy

Tags
ems, heat, heater, problem, problems, water, water heater