Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the Road and All Propane lines clogged!!

The propane line in my 1993 20 foot Damon, Hornet RV has stopped working. First the "Heater" and "gas stove" stopped and 2 days later "today" the "refrigerator" is now not getting gas. The gas getting thru is just enough to make a "flicker or puff" and then go out for all appliances. Has this happened to anyone else EVER?
WeakSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you have the fuel turned off at the tanks and just turned it on? If so you may have activated the "high flow" valve which restricts or shuts off the flow if a line breaks. Turn the valves off and SLOWLY turn them back on.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Either your propane tank is empty or the regulator is bad or the LP detector valve is
bad.

Art
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
First (and this isn't a smart-aleck remark), make sure that your tank(s) have propane in them.

Second, compressor oil can accumulate in propane tanks (especially older ones) from all the fill-ups over the years. This oil can make its way into the pressure regulator and plug it up. That's another possibility if ALL the propane-fueled appliances are starving.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to everyone....You have given me somethings to work on.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #6

In additional to the above, I have had air in the lines. I turned on the stove and kept a flame next to the burner. It took a few minutes to clear out the air and then it it lit up. I let it burn for a few minutes and then everything else worked.

This only happened once but it just one more check before you start replacing parts.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep wondering how air gets in the lines on an other than brand new rig..

Make sure you have propane
Make sure valve is turned on
Make sure hose is not pinched (Where there is a hose)
Make sure you do not have a Propane Detector controlled solenoid valve (more on that in a bit) or that the detector is properly opening said vavle
Re-set Excess flow valve (more on that too)

how to tell if you have a propane detector cut off.

Look at the main tank, from the valve you should see 1, 2 or 3 devices followed by a hose to the manifold. and lines to your appliances.

IF one, that is a regulator
If two or three, and ONE OF THEM has wires going to it, that is the valve under discussion (The detector controlled valve).
If 3, or if two and no wires, likely an Extend-a-stay.

Assuming all good so far, You may have oil in the regulator or on newer rigs an excess flow vavle, to reset it.

Turn off propane at the tank.

Go have a cup of coffee or .. whatever (Come back on 5-30 minutes)

SLOWLY open the valve, if you hear gas flow stop opening the valve.

When you no longer hear the gas flow again open it SLOWLY, if you hear flow stop.

Do this as many times as it takes till the valve is full open.

NOW. do the "Hold a flame next to a burner on the stove" bit for at least 3 minutes or till it lights whichever happens first.

If no joy. .Turn gas back off and replace regulator.

Recommendation: If you have to replace regulator take rig to a Propane expert, hand him the old regulator and ask him if he feels additional service is needed, Bag old regulator by the way (Plastic bag) after removal.. Just in cuss (If it failed due to oil the oil will make a mess if not "Zip-locked" and the expert may recommend additional service.. If it failed for other reasons, then he will likely make no such recommendation)
Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Again to All:
Everyone helped me think through this problem and I wish to give all an UPDATE!!
I decided it had to be the 20 year old regulator!!

I was close to Appolomatox, VA. I called the Emergency Hot Line that is part of my rig's Liability Insurance AND they told me the closes RV repair shop was R.B Taylor & Sons, Lynchburg, VA. I called and was told to come right over! They checked the Regulator which was bad and replaced it with a new one for $40.00 (20 for reg. and 20 labor) and my trip was saved. Proceeded to Skyline Drive which was "packed" with hikers, etc. Of course, all accomodations were (rv and hotels) but at SkyView I asked for a room and got one!!!! This little old lady had just left a day early -- my wife used the room and I slept in the camper! Thanks again all.

Tags
propane