RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

Onan Emerald 1 Genset Problem

I have an Onan Emerald 1 genset that runs for about 20 minutes and then stops. I have replaced the circuit board, fuel pump and fuel filter. When I was at Quartzsite last year an Onan tech said it could be that the generator was overheating and shutting down. Does anyone know what the operating temperature is for this genset?
Dffraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2020, 10:24 PM   #2

If it was mine, I would check the line going to the fuel tank. one that old could have cracks causing it to suck air. I also had the same generator that pieces of the pump came apart and blocked the seat of the needle and seat, Some chunks of black. I found them by running the pump with the carb bowl and float off, the gas would just dribble out. I had to blow air through the seat from the bottom with the fuel line off to get it all out. Just a thought.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #3

My 2020 Jayco MV29 is doing the same thing from the factory. Cummins went thru mine and found the change over switch is bad and causing the generator to shut down.
Jayco won't do anything because I'm the 2nd owner. I bought it with 597 miles. The 1st owner got sick and was not able to use it.
Lucygirl2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Angry Re: Gen dies after 20-min

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dffraser View Post
I have an Onan Emerald 1 genset that runs for about 20 minutes and then stops. I have replaced the circuit board, fuel pump and fuel filter. When I was at Quartzsite last year an Onan tech said it could be that the generator was overheating and shutting down. Does anyone know what the operating temperature is for this genset?
AIR, FUEL, SPARK? iS IT LOSING SPARK OR FUEL OR COMPRESSION?
A FEW POSSIBILITIES, with a few questions: QUESTIONS: 1) Other symptoms? Surge before dying, surge on start? (Usually signifies fuel delivery issue to carb, either filter, pump, or fuel line?) 2) LOPE LIKE RICH, or seem/ feel HOT?; 3) RESTART after dying or have to wait 10-20-min to cool? (TYPICAL OF FAILING PUMP, BUT YOU already replaced); 4) Check plugs after dying? Black, sooty, or Normal brownish gray, dry or wet? 5) OVERHEATING: Emerald is flat-head, air-cooled, no temp switch for shut down to my knowledge, but MUD-DAUBER NEST UNDER SHEET METAL AFFECTING AIR FLOW ACROSS HEAD CAN/ WILL AFFECT valve seats and rings/ compression
DO not RUN MORE THAN 30-SEC WITHOUT SHEETMETAL
POSSIBOLITIES: If Emerald I (Is it a BGE series A-?) old enough to have Points Condenser, maybe [U]condenser[/U] failing, COIL Intermittent. Failing BRUSHES causing loss of AC power will shut down GEN; 6) OIL/ OIL PRESSURE SWITCH/ OIL FILTER CLOGGED/ LOW OIL; When it starts, does it start easy, or crank a lot? If crank a lot from cold start, possibly slow to build pressure and clear OP switch to allow Ignition? CHANGE OIL, FILTER AND SWITCH, and/ or inspect/ clean OP Switch OIL PORT? (mounted next to Oil Filter) Luck, let us know answers? 7) Wrong oil in wrong weather can cause slow crank/ hard start, but usually not dying, unless internal sludge causing drain back/ pressure problems.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:24 AM   #5

Does the emerald not have the capability to show trouble codes like the 4000? Tried to find the manual at Cummins to answer my own question, but emerald 1 isn't enough of an identifier.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:19 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndrorder View Post
Does the emerald not have the capability to show trouble codes like the 4000? Tried to find the manual at Cummins to answer my own question, but emerald 1 isn't enough of an identifier.
NO Lights/ No codes on the Emerald -I, II or Emerald Plus I have the (1999/ 2000) Emerald Plus Model BGE (Series P) (gas) Flat Head, 2-cyl engine, I see some earlier used points, but mine says electronic IGN... and so (to ADD to previous post, guess that also means add ELECTRONIC IGNITION (if equipped, or POINTS, COIL?) as a possibility, but comes back to BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING AFTER DYING AIR+ FUEL+ SPARK... which is missing after dying? WHAT are other symptoms???

If fuel issue, RUBBER FUEL LINE ALSO BECOMES SUSPECT' to die w/ fuel issue, demand just has to exceed supply and fuel level fall in float bowl.

Flooding/ too rich a possibility, if symptoms? Also LEAN/ HOT?

BTW, "4000" is NOT a Model, it is a SIZE, i.e 4kw,and the ones w/ codes are Usually an OHV Model KY Microquiet and can be gas or LPG :-) My Emerald Plus is also a 4000 watt= 4kw

Tags
onan, problem