Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #1

Onan KY4000

Hello,
I bought a new to me RV a couple of weeks ago with an onan generator. I was having trouble with it flooding, checked the carb and found the float full of fuel. Put a new float,valve and gaskets in it. When I attempted to start it it would not fire at all, checked the fuel delivery and was getting plenty, tried starting fluid with no luck, checked spark and found none. I tested the ignition coil and it tested bad. Put a new ignition coil on it and it started and ran for about two minutes and died and will not start. The only time it will fire now is the second I let of the starter switch , it will fire but will not keep running. The starter switch tested ok. I remember having the same trouble with a tractor once and it ended up being the starter soleniod. Hoping somebody has had this issue or knows what may be going on.
Thanks for your help and stay cool out there!
Jim
JimB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #2

Does that one have a low oil shut off?
Here's a link to the manual.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0503.pdf
Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
Does that one have a low oil shut off?
Here's a link to the manual.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0503.pdf
Would you please post for me the link for downloading the manual for my Onan Quiet diesel 3200 generator? Really appreciate it!!!!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #4

According to the manual, it does not have a low oil sensor. It did start and run again for about two minutes this morning before quitting. I'm having a hard time getting anyone around here that works on them.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

It will start two or three times in a row and run for about a min or two each time,(which seems like a carb issue) then it will not start again and will only fire once when the starter button is released( which seems like an electric issue.
Welcome any thoughts or ideas, it really has me stumped right now.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #6

I agree it sounds like a carb issue. More than once I have worked on a small engine carb, put it all back together just to have to take it back apart to redo something. Luckily they are easy to work on(except in this situation, if it's like mine the location makes it kind of a PITA). The gasket might not be perfectly sealed allowing a little air in. A little foreign material might have got in and partially blocking a fuel passage.
Does the carb have a fuel shutoff solenoid on the bottom of the bowl? They rarely go bad but when they do your symptoms are similar to what they cause.
Also make sure the choke linkage is hooked back up correctly.
You could try disconnecting the air filter and while cranking it locally shoot a little carb cleaner in the carb. If it fires right up for a couple seconds then you can be relatively sure it's a fuel issue.(I use carb cleaner for this, I don't like to use starting fluid, too damaging, seen a car engine seize up completely from over use).
Good luck.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Would you please post for me the link for downloading the manual for my Onan Quiet diesel 3200 generator? Really appreciate it!!!!
Cummins Onan

Anything on that page help?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Look and/or ask here; Onan Generators - SmokStak
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #9

My KY did that. Replaced the fuel filter. Got spark, but still wouldn't start. Wound up having to open the altitude valve almost all the way open to get it to start. Fine tuned once it was running. Hope this helps.
Montana722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Look and/or ask here; Onan Generators - SmokStak
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
Cummins Onan

Anything on that page help?
Thanks, both of you! Yes it did help! Appreciated it!
Jim
Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB75 View Post
Hello,
I bought a new to me RV a couple of weeks ago with an onan generator. I was having trouble with it flooding, checked the carb and found the float full of fuel. Put a new float,valve and gaskets in it. When I attempted to start it it would not fire at all, checked the fuel delivery and was getting plenty, tried starting fluid with no luck, checked spark and found none. I tested the ignition coil and it tested bad. Put a new ignition coil on it and it started and ran for about two minutes and died and will not start. The only time it will fire now is the second I let of the starter switch , it will fire but will not keep running. The starter switch tested ok. I remember having the same trouble with a tractor once and it ended up being the starter soleniod. Hoping somebody has had this issue or knows what may be going on.
Thanks for your help and stay cool out there!
Jim
Hi Jim,
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not but most of the Onan/Cummins (gas or diesel) generators will not run if your RV fuel tank is at 1/4 tank or below (this is to ensure that you can make it to a fuel station). So what appears to be a perfectly functioning generator will not run. I think it will still flood though. Hope this helps you out.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi Jim,
Not sure if you got it but I think this is the one you want.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/...s/983-0103.pdf
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #13

Thanks everybody!!
It is getting good fuel. I should mention that I thought the intial problem was a bad float(it was half full of fuel). New float,valve gaskets. It is getting good fuel, I replaced the shut off due to wires being twisted and exposed. Replaced ignition coil that tested bad. After the intial short run it will only fire as I release the start button, wont run on carb cleaner at all.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Hi Jim,
Not sure if you got it but I think this is the one you want.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/...s/983-0103.pdf
Todd
Thank you so much Todd. I downloaded the file and it is with all of my Itasca information.
I ordered the surge protector that you recommended. I placed the order with Amazon this morning. Can't wait to get it.

Tags
onan