Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 09:13 PM   #1

Onan Microlite 2800 runs for about 15 mins - then quits.

1996 Catalina 22' Class C
I got the generator running after changing oil, spark plug. Also blasted carb cleaner into the throat and into the fuel inlet to carb.
Several significant points:
I can get it started if I start the cab engine first - otherwise just winds.
Runs for about 20 mins - then just stops.
Recently replaced coach battery with an AGM.
Didn't run at all before that but all the electrical connections to gen were unhooked.
The connection cable to the AGM battery runs back to the black box behind the rig where the AGM is stored.
The connection cable is a number of individually jacketed strands of small gage wires - don't ask me why, I bought this used.
Also there was a critter nest inside the generator housing but I cleared that out.
Gen keeps running after I shut off the cab engine.
Gen also quits when I disconnect shore power.
Auto transfer switch doesn't switch over to gen even when the gen is running.
Also wire brushed (with drill) all ground connections.
This one grounds to the chassis.

Any suggs ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 09:38 PM   #2

Not sure about your other issues but I'm betting there is no transfer switch and that you will find a TT30 outlet in the shore cord storage compartment. When you plug into this outlet with the shore cord, you then have generator power in the coach. This is extremely common and works well.

Charles
Old 08-03-2021, 11:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Not sure about your other issues but I'm betting there is no transfer switch and that you will find a TT30 outlet in the shore cord storage compartment. When you plug into this outlet with the shore cord, you then have generator power in the coach. This is extremely common and works well.

Charles
I thought that at first but no - there is a transfer switch.
I'd include a pic but don't know how.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had problems with my gen running for 5 to 10 min. then stopping. Changed the filter, check the fuel pump, filled carb. with Sea Foam and ended up changing carb. nothing work. Notice that when it did run for the brief time the gen had been setting for a few hours or days. After it had run and stop it would not re-start. At that time I decided to recheck the fuel pump. it was not working. installed a new fuel pump, no problems for the past 2 years.

Good luck
onawing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onawing View Post
Had problems with my gen running for 5 to 10 min. then stopping. Changed the filter, check the fuel pump, filled carb. with Sea Foam and ended up changing carb. nothing work. Notice that when it did run for the brief time the gen had been setting for a few hours or days. After it had run and stop it would not re-start. At that time I decided to recheck the fuel pump. it was not working. installed a new fuel pump, no problems for the past 2 years.

Good luck
So the gen has it's own fuel pump? Would that be in the gen housing before the fuel pump (I know it's not after). This microlite 2800 is hard to access some components unless there is some access cover that I have not yet discovered.
Thanks for any insight.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:18 PM   #6

In my MH have a Onan 4000. Google video on how to change, looked easy enough but you need to remember the exact movements (motion, path) used when removing other parts. 15 min to take apart, 2 hours to put back together.
Only thing I could think I did wrong the first time was checking the fuel pump when the engine was cold. The second time (after all the for mention changes) I attached a temporary fuel line and funnel direct to the carb, filled with gas. Gen ran as long as there was gas in the funnel. I guess the fuel by means of gravity would fill the fuel pump with a small amount of gas and run for a short time.
Hope it’s the answer
Old 08-05-2021, 10:40 PM   #7

Redo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano726 View Post
So the gen has it's own fuel pump? Would that be in the gen housing before the fuel pump (I know it's not after). This microlite 2800 is hard to access some components unless there is some access cover that I have not yet discovered.
Thanks for any insight.
"before the fuel pump"
I meant before the fuel filter.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:18 AM   #8

Fuel pump is between the fuel filter and carb. Mine requires removing air filter, solenoid and electrical module (pc board) to get to the fuel pump. My problem was getting the pc board back in place. If I hadn’t taken it out, I would have swore it wasn’t meant to go there.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:13 PM   #9

Like onawing, my Onan 4000 electric fuel pump was the culprit. The generator would run for 15-20 minutes, then die for no reason. After restarting, it would run for an additional 5 minutes thereafter.

I don't know about the Onan 2800, but like onawing says, on the Onan 4000, it's inside, just inside where the fuel line enters the unit. The fuel filter is first, screwed onto the fuel pump. I advise to replace both the fuel pump and the fuel filter together.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:15 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Microlite gives codes, so get book and read, but if a "36", (and other symptoms point to that), I suspect FUEL PUMP BAD/ FAILING, yours a typical symptom, often also causes SURGING ON START, may smoooth out for a while, then SURGE AGAIN, then Die and NOT restart UNTIL cooled 15-30-minutes. Can most likely buy pump Amazon under $30, can be tight work, TORX BIT screws (Mine T27, but not Microlite), 1/4" ratchet, often mount pump, and metal line fittings require LINE WRENCH/ FLARE NUT WRENCH set https://www.harborfreight.com/double...-pc-68865.html
Old 08-07-2021, 10:53 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
YOU will have to decide (unless you find book that does recommend) IF YOU NEED OR WANT TO REMOVE THE GEN ITSELF, in order to remove sheetmetal or gain other access? Some models TILT Down on hinge, others slide out. Mine (wudda/ cudda been) so much easier if ONAN and Coach MFR has drilled two little holes for pump mount screw access. I may consider sliding mine out (at least partially?) to access, if I ever have to change again..? or maybe not? It cudda maybe been a 10-20-min job (vs 90-minute) in my younger, more limber days?
Old 08-08-2021, 11:35 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: Fuel Pump/ access, I believe Micro pump on Left, but download Parts manual for your model # specs, believe I saw youtube had to remove (solenoid and other items?) to gain access? Yes, another very tight hole? Buy any tool you need, do not try to "get by"... RIGHT tools are cheap and SAVE much in frustration..
Old 08-09-2021, 06:53 AM   #13

2x on that and a good short term memory.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #14

I am also having an issue keeping my Onan 7000 running, anyone know which one I need and where to buy?
Also could someone tell me if there is a fuel filter attached to the pump or ?

thanks all
hoggem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan