Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 09:20 PM   #1

Opinions on bed with a slider

We have narrowed our search down to either a Quantum KW29 or Four Winds 28Z based largely on floor plan.

I’m concerned about the KW29 requiring the slide to be out to access the bed. I have not yet been in it with the slide in, so I’m also unsure about bathroom access when it’s in. I’ll find out about that in a couple of days.

The 28Z would be a used unit coming off of rental. That’s a concern, but the maintenance has been good and it’s past the initial breaking in period when many problems usually pop up. The 28Z has a walk around queen bed that’s not on a slide.

I’m interested in opinions on these choices and particularly about the bed being accessible or not when in travel mode.
Dave__C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 09:28 PM   #2

KW29 Floorplan
Looks like Bed AND bathroom would be accessible with bedroom slide retracted

Side entry door would also allow access to kitchen area and fridge....doubt you could go from cockpit with kitchen slide retracted

Four Winds 28Z floorplan

Prefer the Quamtun Layout....slides just allow for more ROOM
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:51 PM   #3

I think the bed has to be folded in order to retract the slide. I’ll confirm that Thursday morning.

I’m hoping someOne here has the same model and would know for sure.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave__C View Post
I think the bed has to be folded in order to retract the slide. I’ll confirm that Thursday morning.

I’m hoping someOne here has the same model and would know for sure.

Folding a King Bed in order to close slide.....THAT would be a deal breaker for me
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:05 PM   #5

Our "go or no go" is what is not accessible when the slide is in. The KW29 Wardrobe would not be accessible with the slide in and yes the bed folds to slide in. Our 24F bed folds and is the only item not usable with the slide in.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:09 PM   #6

Thanks for confirming that the bed must be folded. For those not familiar with this, the mattress is designed to fold easily. But if you want to add a topper or replace the mattress, this could become a bigger problem.

I’m also concerned that the bathroom door might be a bit restricted from opening all the way.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:26 AM   #7

Sometimes I will use a parking lot or rest area to overnight. If not useable unless the slide is extended, that's a deal breaker for me.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #8

Another option would be the Quantum RW28. It appears to be essentially the same as the Four Winds 28Z.

Does anyone know if it’s still being made? I can’t find it on the Thor website, but there are 2020 models out there.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #9

When I was MH shopping, a folding bed signified it was time to hit the back button on the browser....
Old 06-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
When I was MH shopping, a folding bed signified it was time to hit the back button on the browser....

I think you are right. We have eliminate the KW29 now for that reason.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #11

Folding Bed

We have a folding main bed on our Odyssey24b. The bathroom and the kitchen is accessible with the slide in, which will allways be a determining factor for us. The folding bed, not our favourite feature however the above cab bed is huge and very easy to use if required. So far, the folding bed has not been an issue.

2022 Flagstaff EPro 19fd
Rastatt055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:06 PM   #12

We bought a 2020 Quantum RW28.

It’s almost the same floor plan as the 28z but adds a bedroom slider. However, the bedroom slider does not significantly affect the bed. It adds a large wardrobe space though.

The downside of the slider is that it reduces the size of the awning and it’s somewhat dangerous for those of us who tend to watch where we step and miss the huge object at head level!

I’m now looking for things to attach when it’s extended to prevent concussion. Closing it when not sleeping is another approach.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I have 2020 Quatum ws31 and like the layout
arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave__C View Post
We have narrowed our search down to either a Quantum KW29 or Four Winds 28Z based largely on floor plan.

I’m concerned about the KW29 requiring the slide to be out to access the bed. I have not yet been in it with the slide in, so I’m also unsure about bathroom access when it’s in. I’ll find out about that in a couple of days.

The 28Z would be a used unit coming off of rental. That’s a concern, but the maintenance has been good and it’s past the initial breaking in period when many problems usually pop up. The 28Z has a walk around queen bed that’s not on a slide.

I’m interested in opinions on these choices and particularly about the bed being accessible or not when in travel mode.
1. Is it a deal breaker about NOT being able to use the bed when the slide is in? Driving or parked.
2. Double, double check that you can get to everything you need in the kitchen AND bathroom with the slide in.
3. Make sure the driver’s seat can go all the way back for legroom driving with the slide in. If you don’t have the proper legroom to drive....
You’ll be sorry.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide