Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Well, my qualifications are: I've been to 2 goat ropings and asmany county fairs.

Hey,
Didn't I see you at one of those goat ropings???
Lololol
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin2Camp View Post
Hey,
Didn't I see you at one of those goat ropings???
Lololol
Well, maybe............. I was that old, fat guy who was dribbling lunch down my chin and probably had my fly open, for no other reason, that I can't remember important stuff any longer. Maybe I should be staying at a Holiday Inn, won't that make me smarter?
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:52 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Well, my qualifications are: I've been to 2 goat ropings and asmany county fairs.
Sounds like a whole lot more fun than working on a RV toilet. lol. (especially when the customer did not have enough consideration to clean the toilet before bringing the RV in.)
Old 03-11-2017, 02:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
You could also send that list you had done to your "network" guys and see what they say.....I would much rather spend my money with the "network" guys.
I did. They all agree it's too much, by a lot, but none of them have lifts for a vehicle this size or an alignment rack for this so I ventured out on my own - partly also because I have less free time lately and didn't have a lot of time to hunt around.

But moving on.. Got it back, $2300 later.

Parts: 569.07
  • Antifreeze 35.96
  • Transmission filter 157.40 (That's too expensive, they're $15-50 online)
  • 24 qts of syn trans fluid 230.88
  • 10 qts of gear lube for diff 55.00
  • sway bar clamp 20.44
  • sway bar bushing 37.18

Labor: $1,294.07

• Alignment $199.95
  • Rear Diff Fluid replace $134.95
  • Transmission fluid/filter replace $139.99 + 194.00
  • Coolant replace $189.99
  • Shocks replace (I provided the shocks, they are just installing) $477.96 (!!?)
  • Sway bar bracket fixed (1 bracket was broken) $105.49 + 51.69
  • Inspection (check spark plugs, hit zerk fittings etc). 0.00

Sublet charge: $199.95 (This is the charge for taking it elsewhere to have the alignment done, then charged me for the alignment which means my total for the alignment was ~$400).

HazMat: $56.89
Tax: 203.52

This is Genesis RV and Auto in Tacoma, WA.

Customer service was good but these prices are insane. The double charge for the alignment is insulting, the price for the tranny filter is ridiculous and $340 just in labor for the tranny is insane. The other thing is that the shocks on a vehicle like this are the easiest damn things in the world to replace and they still charged $477.. I wonder if they had a surgeon or a lawyer back there doing the work at those rates. It shouldn't have taken more than 1.5 shop hours to do the shocks if it was actually a professional doing it.

Lesson learned. Get quote up front always and never go back there if I value my money.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #19

I saw nothing on your list that the cost should have been unpredictable. Did you ask for an estimate before you had the work done? If not, this should be a lesson learned. Always get a written estimate. Most mechanics in Houston will provide a written estimate and if they need to exceed it, they will call for approval.
pattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattaway View Post
I saw nothing on your list that the cost should have been unpredictable. Did you ask for an estimate before you had the work done? If not, this should be a lesson learned. Always get a written estimate. Most mechanics in Houston will provide a written estimate and if they need to exceed it, they will call for approval.
I deal with a lot of shops so I'm not used to being taken for a ride and all the shops I work with (not RV related) are expensive but will call if there's something they can't (A) do in-house and/or (B) is going to take longer than "book".

$400 for an alignment actually made the service writer at the Ford Truck Repair center spit out his coffee. He also shook his head when he heard that installing shocks on that I provided was $477. All in all he said he would saved me about $700 or so from what I paid.

But wait, there's more!

Genesis did 2 things wrong as well.

1) They over filled my transmission so when I was towing out to an event it eventually blew 2 qts of fluid out of the dipstick all over my engine/exhaust making me think I blew tranny as I filled the highway with smoke. Thankfully, an overfill is all it was but still - major scare and inconvenience.

2) they installed the shocks poorly. During that same trip the right front shock came unbolted from the LCA so I spent ~500 miles with my RF shock not doing any work except for beating up my LCA but the Ford tech was able to repair it without having to replace it thankfully.

But to your point. Yes very much - lesson learned.

Tags
service