Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #1

Overhead sleeper rotted

So I purchased a 1988 Winnebago Class C RV, looked for leaks on the unit when I bought it but had no idea the over head sleeper was this bad, I was wondering if anyone s done this before, looks like I could do this repair. Anyone have any goood pictures or good video, or even good advice?

I've seen a few videos online, seems simple enough

Thanks
danlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #2

A belated welcome ; first post I see.
Depending on your skills and patience , it is not really complicated, usually time is the biggest factor.
I have seen a couple of posts from members who have undertaken the repairs on their own , I'll track the posts down and direct you to them .

Edit: Click search this forum, in the blue bar across the top , above post #1 of Class C Discussion, enter " Mini Bunk rebuild "
It's by " Class C newbie " with pictures from Jan 2013.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #3

Check out "Bunk water damage rebuild" under the search. A 2011 post, great pictures of a great job restoring the overhead bunk. Not sure how simple, depends on the extent of the rot and any framing damage. Good luck!!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2007 freelander and had to repair the bunk area in july all my water damage was contained inside the wall had a number of rotten wooden braces. I removed the ceiling panel and replaced the rotten wood and installation. Not a difficult job. Make sure you redo the seam on the roof over the bunk area that's where my water got in.
freelander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Many of us have faced this.

The very first thing is to locate and STOP the leak that caused it.

It is a slow process, but very doable with normal wood working skills.
When I did mine I learned a lot about RV construction.
I also found that behind the side walls, I have an aluminum framework.
So I used 2" aluminum "L" the width of the bunk and also the length of the bunk, pop-rived to that framework to support it. I also used marine epoxy
to bond to bottom of the overhang.

Every one is slightly different from what I understand.
The is no industry standard.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
I just rebuilt ours over the summer. I am by no means a carpenter and just have basic wood working skills. It really wasn't all that bad to do.
It was hot, and it took me a week or so (maybe 5 days @ 2-3 hours a day?), working on it in the evenings when I got home from work.
It's fairly simple construction after you get it apart and look at how it's built.

A couple sheets of plywood, and basic tools (and skills) is really all you need.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #7

A neighbor has an Itasca Class C, about 5 years old, I would guess. He had the entire overhead rebuilt 18 months ago. One thing I noticed, both before and after, is that the rain gutter leading to the front of the overhead is terminated before it gets all the way past the front edge. It dumps the water along the top edge of the side window, right in the middle whet the two sections of the sliding glass meet. If I were doing a rebuild, I'd make sure the gutter went out past the front of the overhead by at least a couple of inches.

He'd bought the rig at Camping World and I think the rebuild was done by them under warranty.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Well ours is one-piece fiberglass that is screwed into the plywood floor of the bunk.
The problem with ours was, somebody had removed the aluminum molding that goes around the front and 'resealed' it with silicone caulking instead of butyl tape behind it.

Anyway, the water ran right behind the molding and under the lower sheet metal that covers the bottom, getting trapped in there with no where to go. At the end of the day, all of that water wicked up through two layers of plywood and turned them to mush.
Fortunately, I was able to remove the pieces and let them dry to get a good rough pattern to cut the new wood.
I wish I had documented it all with pics now, but at the time I was pretty upset and it was extremely hot. I was also under pressure to get it done so we could use the thing for a trip we had already planned and paid for.
It all worked out well in the end.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #9

I need to open up the bunk on our new to us Prowler fiver, looks like the seams at the base of the wall were not properly sealed. Part of the floor is rotted allowing the outer skin to sag, the previous owner 'fixed' it with gorilla tape. Should be able to fix it with hand tools and patience but we shall see.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #10

Well, My Father in law and I started the project this weekend, unfortunately I had to rent a indoor storage unit for a month to do this, didn't want to risk doing this outside, based on the weather forecast, it was a good decision. The old sleeper board was fully rotted, I will see if I can post a few pictures, all in all it went well, I was able to find the right material locally, with the storage rental & materials, I am into it for about $600.00, (storage unit included) I need to finish up the inside, i figure that will run me another $100.00
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlee View Post
So I purchased a 1988 Winnebago Class C RV, looked for leaks on the unit when I bought it but had no idea the over head sleeper was this bad, I was wondering if anyone s done this before, looks like I could do this repair. Anyone have any goood pictures or good video, or even good advice?

I've seen a few videos online, seems simple enough

Thanks
We bought a 1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C and the overhead sleeper had already been rebuilt. If you rebuild it yourself, don't replace the windows. It seems leaks around the windows are what cause the sleepers to rot out.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #12

Pictures

Here are a few pictures, I think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	49755   Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeper board-1.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	49756  

Name:	sleeper -3.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	49757   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3601 (2).jpg
Views:	398
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	49758  

Old 11-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #13

More Pictures

more pic's,
I decided not to cut out the board, seems much stronger to leave it, plus I can install a full size mattress if I want
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sleeper15.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	49759   Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeper14.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	49760  

Name:	sleeper18.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	49761   Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeper17.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	49762  

Old 11-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #14

I did pull two of the windows that where leaking, used new bytul tape and and re caulked them, verified no leaks before I started the repair