Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

Red face Parking on an incline

I am an RV newbie and I know about not running the fridge while on an incline but are there issues when storing my RV on an incline? I have not been able to find secured space locally except one parking space but it slopes considerably (maybe 12%). Can anyone give me some do's and don'ts?
dhollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
You just have to curb the wheels when storing/parking on an incline. Set the emergency brake and if possible throw a chock or two.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Plus its worth it to get an appropriate RV storage space. KOA's run about 73 a month. Safer that way.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #4

Not sure if your are worried about the fridge being off level or the coach rolling on you due to incline in parking spot. Far as fridge goes, don't turn it on while parked and in storage. That takes care of that problem. As far as the coach being on an incline while stored, not really a problem, but if it makes you feel more secure chock the wheels against the incline, or use leveling blocks.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I built a set of ramps for the rear wheels for dealing with an incline..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #6

are there any guidelines as too much incline / slant is too much for a modern norcold fridge to operate?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I can't speak about other rigs but my emergency brake is really just a clutch brake and has little to do with the actual brakes on my rig. Makes me a little worried if I have to park it on a serious incline (Say 8% or more). For that reason, I carry a set of wheel chocks. For $20.00, it isn't even really a question. Even a set of wood blocks would do just fine as well.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With such a steep incline, you may have some water leak issues that would not normally present themselves.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a great question because of all the systems inside our coaches.

I'm assuming you are talking about "storage" parking, because any other time you really want the coach level.

So consider your plumbing and fluid storage tanks. These items will do best (if not completely drained) being as level as possible for long term storage. When turned off, the fridge, propane system, and electrical don't really have a tilt problem.

So I agree with all previous posts - that you should always attempt to level the coach as much as possible...but like many of us, storage away from our residences may be a requirement...sometimes you gotta take what you can get.

Consider draining the tanks to prevent leaks and off center pressure in the tanks, plumbingm, and drains.

BTW - ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS - chock the wheels if there is any incline. Once, I had a Pop-top take a little joyride because there was a drop in the campsite that I didn't see (night-time set-up).

Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #10

Yes Chock! I saw a guy with a small 5th wheel unhook from the truck down in "Outdoor Resorts" in the Smokey Mts. No chocks and she rolled down hill and into a creek. Believe it or not his wife tried to hold the rig back by hand. It did not do much damage, some dings and wrinkled aluminum.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I chock 100% of the time. We have a large wind break that given the right conditions could easily be pushed by a strong wind gust. I am sure this comes from experience with aircraft. I have seen airplanes blown 90 degrees when not chocked and a storm had moved in. Pilot forgot to set the brakes, didn't wait for the ramp guy to signal that the chocks were in and was exiting the aircraft when it moved. Luckily no one or equipment was hurt.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Using chocks is a good habbit to get in and a block of wood is all you need.
When you cut down a tree, you cut out a wedge on the side you want the tree to fall - I use a wedge from an oak tree. If (and when) I forget to remove the chock prior to driving off - the wedge is small enough to drive over yet the bump reminds me to send my wife back to retreive it :>)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #13

parking on an incline

Thanks all for the advice. I have bought chocks and levelers and plan to get things as level as possible. It was the internal workings I am concerned about and plan to store it with my tanks empty but I also worry a little about the stress on the cabin on an incline for long periods. I think I,m set with plenty of leveling blocks.
Thanks again. Love this forum.
dhollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #14

Hi Y'all..WE're newbies also, at least to the "C". Hope this is the right time to ask..What's the best way to level the C ? Apart from having levers added to the coach..Are blocks the only way to go? We also have an incline issue as we're storing in the driveway. Not much of an incline but the fridge is going to do double duty as a bee(ahem)beverage cooler full time as did the last (traded in) trailer box. Pete and Jeanne
Tioga is offline   Reply With Quote