Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Patio Awnings, Cantilever Type vs old Angle Braced

Anyone have experience with the newest type of patio awnings that have no angle braces, just straight out cantilevered new type??
The rig I'm considering may have the new type. I'd like to know if these can have their downward angle changed for blocking the sun or letting the rain run off easy. Can one end be lowered to let the rain run off or does it just sit there straight out letting the sun hit you in the eyes and or collect rain until it breaks and collapses or rips the screws holding it up right out of the side of the RV? I'd like to find out if these new ones are adjustable at all.
Thanks
laheze is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 AM   #2

Well, that was quite the perceived"awning doomsday" prediction LOL

To answer your questions, I have the Girard Nova awning on my coach, in fact, there are 2 Girards end to end on my 2016 Newmar Dutch Star.

During a Stay and a RV Park south of San Diego, it rained almost an inch and a half in a very short while. Both awnings were out and absolutely no damage.

Once out, they don't lower or raise but the last 3 or 4 feet of the awning tips downward at a greater angle. In other words, the whole awning tips downward but the leading edge tips more. This isn't my coach but the paint scheme is exactly the same as are the Girard awnings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RWC_3783.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	155397  
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #3

I'm sure there are many different models and manufacturers out there. Not sure what brand they were but the couple that i've seen in person were adjustable. Don't believe they were able to adjust anywhere near to what my old 8500 will do but the ends could be lowered if need be. Here is a video of what looks to be the brand i've seen in action. The 1:45 minute mark shows the adjustment.

https://youtu.be/y_9QUgGynTs

Again, i'm not even sure if this type is ever mounted on taller rigs or motorhomes,, hope i'm not misleading anyone. I can definitely see that there would be a problem actually reaching the adjustment knob when mounted on a tall vehicle. For me, i'd be researching the net and calling dealers to see what is available.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the Carefree Apex awnings, (prerunners of Girard) they are adjustable BUT it takes two people , two ladders and wrenches to do it, plus they are so high up they really don't give much shade. I'd rather have the manual ones with arms that I walk into!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=LJowdy;3509633]Well, that was quite the perceived"awning doomsday" prediction LOL

To answer your questions, I have the Girard Nova awning on my coach, in fact, there are 2 Girards end to end on my 2016 Newmar Dutch Star.

During a Stay and a RV Park south of San Diego, it rained almost an inch and a half in a very short while. Both awnings were out and absolutely no damage.

Im glad your awnings held up, that is good news and a good report. My doomsday prediction on the awning failures was a little premature but I have seen all of these scenarios on regular angle arm braced awnings when full of rain! I assumed a less braced awning may fail sooner but maybe they have them engineered better than they appear. I've seen children lose teeth on the angle braced type so removing all the braces as head and teeth hazards is appealing.
Thank you for your report and attached photo.
laheze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #6

I think the older manual are best. I bought a Itasca cambria used with a "new style". Removed it and installed old style one
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #7

Read the post under Class A about the guys driving down the road with the new electric awnings and opening on their own in higher winds... thus ripping them off... WOW...

One of the guys posted a simple clamp to hold them against the coach to prevent the high wind issue...

Tags
ace, awning