Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

Patriot 2 Braking System

We are brand new to RVing and already frustrated. We bought a Ford CMax to tow behind our 24' Four Winds Class C. We had base plate put on by the RV dealer and also got the Patriot 2 Brake system. So far the patriot 2 shuts down after 4 or 5 miles. I called Blue Ox and they said the car computer is probably shutting down the unit so it doesn't drain the battery. Has anyone else had this problem? Possible solutions? I'm no electrician but I can't believe that system would have any appreciable battery drain.
sewey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Your car is shutting down the power to save the battery. It would do this whether or not your brake was installed. Wire a new power point (cigaret lighter) with a fuse directly from the battery to a point that you plug your braking unit in.

You might also want to add a charge line from motorhome to the car battery. Better if you do this with something like ToadCharge (LSL Products) or one from RVi Brake.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #3

1st question. Are you leaving the ign in the ACC position so the plug you're using for the patriot has power? Your description tells me the patriot is not seeing power and after a while the internal battery goes dead and it shuts down.
Next, did the installer put in a charge line? This is a connection from the coach battery thru the umbilical cord to the toad battery to keep the toad battery from going dead. But this should not happen for at least 2-4 hours of towing.
Also, your patriot will default to 5 on setup. I've always dialed it back to 3 so it doesn't overbrake.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #4

As far as I can tell I'm doing everything by the book. Car is in Neutral and in ACC position ( I can operate the power windows and radio so I assume it's in ACC. The car is a Hybrid and the Patriot has a brake setting for Hybrid vehicles. So I set the controller for Hybrid, pair the controller with the brake, and like I said it operates for a few miles then shuts down. So then I stopped and when I looked in the car noticed the power button on the brake was flashing amber. As soon as I opened the car door it went back to green and the brake started functioning again.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #5

Sorry, I use the patriot also but not on a hybrid. Can't comment on the charge line either. Have you talked to the installer? Another call to BO and hopefully get a knowledgeable person.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewey76 View Post
As soon as I opened the car door it went back to green and the brake started functioning again.
Sounds like the 12v socket is connected to the inside light controller. The lights go out after a set period of time after the doors close. Open the door and the socket goes live again. Is there an ignition key symbol beside the 12v socket? If it's live all the time it might have a battery symbol. A lot of cars have a system where all the battery power shuts down after a set time. It's like if you left your headlights on they would shut down so as not to drain the battery. A battery charge line would be a must for an setup where the ACC on position is required. I have a charge line even though my ignition is in the off position for towing.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Syntst View Post
Sounds like the 12v socket is connected to the inside light controller. The lights go out after a set period of time after the doors close. Open the door and the socket goes live again. Is there an ignition key symbol beside the 12v socket? If it's live all the time it might have a battery symbol. A lot of cars have a system where all the battery power shuts down after a set time. It's like if you left your headlights on they would shut down so as not to drain the battery. A battery charge line would be a must for an setup where the ACC on position is required. I have a charge line even though my ignition is in the off position for towing.
Don't forget the OP is running a Hybrid. My guess is it's not the same as our Old School toads.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The old ACC position and on until you remove the key does not apply to the Ford C max and lots of cars with push button start. My Hyundai Tucson does the same thing - push the button once for ACC (accessories) and the power will come on it also warns you that this can run the battery down and promptly sets a timer to shut the power off. I don't tow my Hyundai but the OP's C-Max does the same thing. It doesn't matter if it is a hybrid or a normal car, the electronics have gotten a whole lot more sophisticated then what most of you are driving.

So, as I said originally, install a new power point that is connected directly to the battery and all of this goes away. A charge line wouldn't be a bad idea either.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The 12V receptacle in the baggage area is live all the time. I just extended the length of the power cord so it reaches. I also installed a battery maintainer as you can drain the battery on a long day. Put the car in neutral and then turn it off, no need for the acc. position. Also, make sure your towbar is level. We had the dreaded death wobble twice before buying a dropdown hitch. 8,000 miles later, hasn't happened again.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #10

We found an independent RV mechanic who added a Power point directly from the battery and installed a charge line. He got on the phone with Patriot and was able to figure out this to be the best solution. It's working so I'm happy, although not happy about the extra cost. Thank you all for your advice.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewey76 View Post
We found an independent RV mechanic who added a Power point directly from the battery and installed a charge line. He got on the phone with Patriot and was able to figure out this to be the best solution. It's working so I'm happy, although not happy about the extra cost. Thank you all for your advice.
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Welcome to the RV world. $$$$$