Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2020, 07:47 AM   #1

Performance tuning for Kodiak C5500 gas chassis

Looking for response from anyone that has this chassis with the 8.1 gas engine and tuned it. I have seen that a company named Brazels offers a new ECU that has modified tuning in it. Want to know if it's actually worth the cost as far as a performance increase when towing a heavy load and if you can still run regular fuel or have to run premium fuel?.
Thanks in advance.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 08:05 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2003 34' Motorhome with the 8.1L and Allison 5 speed transmission. I installed the Brazel ECU tune and also opted for the Brazel Allison TCU tune at the same time.

I combination seems to improve performance some but the biggest difference is the how much longer the engine can maintain a gear before downshifting. I think a combo of more torque and altered shift points in the transmission made a real difference. It makes for a quieter more relaxed ride.

Still run unleaded regular. When in Colorado I run 85 Octane and 87 Octane at lower altitudes.

Maybe a tiny increase in MPG
Old 10-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. Not really looking for better mileage, it is what it is. I found the best increase in fuel mileage is.... Don't turn the key on! I am towing a race car behind with the same engine and transmission. Downshifting is not too bad as long as I don't use cruise control, otherwise it wants to downshift after it drops about 3-5 mph. I only run 87 octane, that's the lowest we have here in NY. I had a tuner a while ago on a gas truck I had and if you used any tune above stock they said you had to run 91 or better octane to prevent detonation. Didn't really see much if any power increase and with the added fuel cost it was not worth it.
Do you actually feel more power when towing? I have had diesel trucks and added a program and that is a crazy increase in power, I know you can't get that from a gas engine.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
Thanks for the input. Not really looking for better mileage, it is what it is. I found the best increase in fuel mileage is.... Don't turn the key on! I am towing a race car behind with the same engine and transmission. Downshifting is not too bad as long as I don't use cruise control, otherwise it wants to downshift after it drops about 3-5 mph. I only run 87 octane, that's the lowest we have here in NY. I had a tuner a while ago on a gas truck I had and if you used any tune above stock they said you had to run 91 or better octane to prevent detonation. Didn't really see much if any power increase and with the added fuel cost it was not worth it.
Do you actually feel more power when towing? I have had diesel trucks and added a program and that is a crazy increase in power, I know you can't get that from a gas engine.
You do see a modest improvement in performance. I don't think the peak horsepower is changed much but I think midrange torque management is better giving you more torque and power in the 2500-3800 RPM range. Seems to be most pronounced a about 3200-3800 RPM. Not lots of increase but enough to notice.

I live in Colorado so my power is down 25% anyway because of the elevation. Any improvement is appreciated.

I would do it again.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I recently put a Ultra RV ECM (Brazels) in my 8.1 Workhorse UFO (rear engine, 6 speed, 6.17 axle), and at the same time I replaced the plugs and wires.

It runs a lot better, its a different rig. So far, I've cruised up Monument and Raton passes and I-40 from Albuquerque to Santa Rosa NM with the cruise set at the speed limit, and also driven from Santa Rosa, through Austin to Houston with the cruse set at the speed limit (70-75) with a massive headwind.

I'm right at 26,000# and towing my 2000# car.

Gas mileage is right around 5.0-5.5 MPG. It's a good runner, but thirsty. Before I changed the plugs, wires, and ECM, I would get about 6.0-6.5, but it was a lot slower. Probably at least the advertised horsepower improvement in addition to the usual improvement from wires and plugs. It will run 70 in 4th gear up pretty steep grades all day no problem

On my return trip, I'm going to slow down a bit and see if it helps the fuel mileage.

I highly recommend if you want more power
Old 10-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #6

Appreciate the input. I too am right at 26,000 total weight. I was told a long time ago the best increase in fuel mileage is to slow down, I guess it's true. I get between 7-8 towing, got as high as just under 10 running empty. I tow right at 62, sometimes get to 65, I'm in no hurry to get Anywhere, I run fast when I get to the race track with my car. When I was empty i was driving 65.
I hate when I reach a hill with the cruise on and it drops to 3rd gear and rpm tries to get to 4500+. I knock it off before it climbs much over 3800. Hoping adding this tune will do as the previous poster said and add some mid range torque to carry you thru the hill without excessive downshifting. I found if you can hit the bottom of a hill at 2800-3000 rpm it will run up the hill much easier than if you are running along in 5th and hit it at 2200.

Tags
chassis, gas