Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2022, 07:59 PM   #1

Periodic start ups while in short term storage

I have a 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22r that is in short term storage at home. I keep it plugged in to a 110v line 24/7. Right now in Southern California the weather has been a bit rainy and cold at night (My wife does not like to camp in cold weather) Plan is to resume local travel in March. I start the engine in my rig twice a month and let it idle for a bit.
Question: Should I unplug the 110v line before I start the engine on my rig?
Still learning the "ropes" as this is my first RV. The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked!
SantinoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2022, 08:45 PM   #2

I'm on my 5th motorhome and have never unplugged to warm up the engine. You're not going to cause any problems doing so.
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:51 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've had no issues!
Old 01-09-2022, 11:48 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Should be NO ISSUES starting engine or GEN while plugged in.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:01 AM   #5

Don’t start it until you’re on your way out.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:19 AM   #6

Idling an engine for a bit but not driving it enough to get hot is doing more harm than good. It builds up moisture inside the engine that leads to corrosion. Don't periodically start it - just let it sit.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:39 AM   #7

Agree... don't start and idle. If you don't take it for a 30-45 min run don't bother. Lots of boats. & MHs sit for 5-6 mos. More important to run a gennie if you have one but load it 50% + for 1-2 hrs (warms. & dries out the windings, etc) and run it w/o load for 5 mins or so before shut down.
Fill with non-ethanol before storing and add a fuel stabilizer. Check batty water level & charge (V) periodically.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:50 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the others.
There is no reason to unplug before starting, it won't harm anything.
There is even less reason to be starting the engine at all for this short term storage. Do some research on whether or not this is good for the engine and I think you'll find that most will come down on the side of "don't do it". Fill the fuel tank, add some stabilizer, check your batteries every month - that's what you need to be doing.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:48 AM   #9

As others have said, don't run the engine unless you are going to take it for a drive that is long enough for it to reach operating temperature and the exhaust system to dry out. But, it is recommended to run the generator at 50% capacity once a month and running the generator will charge up the batteries (on most rigs).
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:33 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you cannot take the RV out for a minimum 30-minute drive, you will not get things up to operating temperature and do more damage than good. Best thing you can do for the RV is to get a fresh oil change, fill the tank and add a fuel stabilizer to the tank and park it. Run the generator for a minimum of 30 minutes (every 4 to 6 weeks) with at least 1/2 load on it to warm the generator windings.

The generator windings need to be warmed to drive any moisture out of them. Moisture will kill a generator. One way to load the generator is to take out one or two electric space heaters and operate them to load the generator.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:15 AM   #11

I store my rig for 6 months every winter (it’s cold up here in Minnesota!). I fill the tank with gas and stabilizer and remove the chassis and house batteries. Every couple months, I put them on a trickle charger in my basement.

As far as the generator, I installed a fuel cutoff valve on the gas line. I run the gasoline line dry before storing for the winter and then turn the fuel back on in the spring and run the generator with a load (heat or A/C depending on the weather).

Anyone else recommend or not recommend this method of storing the generator? I don’t have access to the rig in the winter (it’s stored in a pole barn an hour and a half away), so this seems like the best option for me. Thoughts?
MrMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:42 AM   #12

It depends... This is the relevant section of my 2020 Transit 3500HD manual (LTV W24) if stored for more than 15 days.
  • Change the engine oil and filter prior to storage because used engine oil contains contaminates which may cause engine damage.
  • Start the engine every 15 days for a minimum of 15 minutes. Run at fast idle with the climate controls set to defrost until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
  • With your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears while the engine is running.
  • We recommend that you change the engine oil before you use your vehicle again.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you cannot take the RV out for a minimum 30-minute drive, you will not get things up to operating temperature and do more damage than good. Best thing you can do for the RV is to get a fresh oil change, fill the tank and add a fuel stabilizer to the tank and park it. Run the generator for a minimum of 30 minutes (every 4 to 6 weeks) with at least 1/2 load on it to warm the generator windings.

The generator windings need to be warmed to drive any moisture out of them. Moisture will kill a generator. One way to load the generator is to take out one or two electric space heaters and operate them to load the generator.

Ken
I concur with Ken. For my diesel pusher coach, in addition to the stabilizer additive, I also add anti-gel and biocide additives for winter storage. And then strive to take my coach on a 30 minute ride once per month with the generator running with roof A/C's in cooling or heat pump mode.

The diesel fuel additives I use for winter storage are:
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoDad View Post
I have a 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22r that is in short term storage at home. I keep it plugged in to a 110v line 24/7. Right now in Southern California the weather has been a bit rainy and cold at night (My wife does not like to camp in cold weather) Plan is to resume local travel in March. I start the engine in my rig twice a month and let it idle for a bit.
Question: Should I unplug the 110v line before I start the engine on my rig?
Still learning the "ropes" as this is my first RV. The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked!

Gas engines , at idle , will reach operating temperature and burn off condensation .

Diesels need a load to reach operating temperature .

I live in the Pacific N.W. and spend several months during the winter with temps in the 40's with rain and humidity at 90% . Similar to what you're experiencing in S. Cal .

I start my V10 and generator once a month . I run both for 1/2 hr.

Once the engine reaches temperature , I run the transmission through the gears and turn the heater on high to get the coolant throughout the system.

The generator I run at approx. 60% load .

This keeps the engines lubricated and puts an oil film on interior surfaces and bearings.

I also do the same routine on our boat with twin 454's .

This routine has served me well for decades .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage