Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Picked Up my Fleetwood Jamboree

I pulled the trigger last weekend on the 05 Fleetwood Jamboree 29V I was looking at and got the few issues to make sure she is road ready done. All I need to do now is finish packing for our planned weekend get-a-way and I start our shake down cruise.

Already has a full tank of gas, full tank of propane, generator is ready to go, front bearings freshly packed, new batteries all around, a new 400W full sine wave inverter, just tested the house furnace and it works great, etc. Just need to do a final tire pressure check and adding a 1/4 tank of fresh water (so the wife can use the restroom) before hitting the road tomorrow.

We are pretty excited considering our last RV was a pop up trailer. It was still a lot of fun but cramped and I quickly found the set up for towing on a Rav4 to be rather tiresome. Now all I have to do is get in, drive, and then plug in at the site we have reserved.

I have a few quick questions that come from my pop up experience:
  1. Leveling a motor home? Now I never take anything told to me at a dealership at face value but I was told it's not that critical. My experience with the pop up says otherwise. Water flows down hill and if your setup isn't level well, unpleasantness abounds. That and RV fridges are pretty picky about their flow systems as well. Why else do they sell auto leveling systems for motor homes?
  2. Propane fills. Where is the most common place to get your tank filled? Dealerships charge way too much and I usually filled my 5 gallon tanks for the pop up at a local propane station but to my recollection I have never seen an RV pull up for a fill up.
  3. How on earth do you check the tire pressures for your tires when they put the nozzles in the worst locations? I have head of extenders and am willing to invest so if you have some recommendations I am all ears.
And now for some pictures:

Well, thanks for looking. Have a great weekend.
vanion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
An 05, wow looks like it just came out of the factory! Good luck and many happy
Miles.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #3

Nice clean looking rig,hope you have many trouble free happy years of camping.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #4

Congratulations!

Our first RV was a 27' Jamboree. My family had a lot of good times in that unit. It is a great way to make memories.

To answer some of your questions...

1). Mostly you need to get the unit level for your comfort and the fridge operation. Get yourself a bullseye level like the one in the attached pic. Typically as long as the bubble is touching the center circle, you're close enough. You'll find that getting the bubble inside the circle will be more comfortable for the occupants.

2) You should be able to get your propane tanks filled the same place you used to get your 5gal tanks filled. But check with them. If they can't do it, they should be able to direct you to someone who can.

3). Yes, you will want to buy a valve extender kit for the rear wheels. Otherwise you'll have to lay down on the ground to get to both valve stems.
You'll need two type of extensions(normally sold as a kit). The inner wheel extension is a braided stainless steel line that extends over to, and through one of the holes in the outer rim(wheel). The outer wheel may or may not need an extender. If it does, it uses an extension that curves back around 180 degrees to point towards the inside of the wheel. (this makes the wheel usable on either the front or the rear, but requires a double headed truck air gauge).

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1753821118.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	55629  
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the advice.

I figured the unit would need to be leveled. I already pack my leveling blocks and level tool but that bulls eye level looks much simpler.

I researched the extenders and see there tend to be issues. Fortunately I have the necessary adaptors for my air compressor line to fill up motorcycle tires and will see how that works.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #6

Congratulations on your Fleetwood. Looks Great. I think most Flying J fuel stops have a propane fill island. You might look for them when your planning your trips. Have fun.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice!

Have you checked the DOT date code on the tires? If not highly suggest you do so.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #8

Congrats Looks in great shape! Happy Travels
maxtgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Great looking rig, congrats!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #10

We too just got a fleet wood jamboree 2008 last year ! We love it and it looks a lot like yours we just have the entertainment center over cab. We usually get our propane at flying j also it's pretty handy! Enjoy your rig!
Btswrkn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Nice!

Have you checked the DOT date code on the tires? If not highly suggest you do so.
DOT date code is 2012 on all tires touching the ground. The spare looks a little long in the tooth and I plan on getting that replaced here soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btswrkn6 View Post
We too just got a fleet wood jamboree 2008 last year ! We love it and it looks a lot like yours we just have the entertainment center over cab. We usually get our propane at flying j also it's pretty handy! Enjoy your rig!
Maybe you can help me? Do you know where the white water tank shut off valve is on your rig? I couldn't find ours and spent a half an hour crawling all over the place looking for it. It's the one thing they didn't show me at the dealership when I did the walk through.
Please tell me it's the 3 way valve under the sink...
Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
First, thanks for all the friendly advice. I will definitely look up Flying J's for road trips. Seems the one stop place to get what I would need.

And now for the maiden voyage report. The trip out was a failure but the 2nd day was mostly a success. The rig though performed flawlessly. I learned that the rig does not like rough pavement and dirt roads even less. I also learned that cross winds are a bear but that is to be expected on a box on wheels and here in New Mexico one gets used to stiff breezes.

The first bad omen was when I started filling the white water tank right before take off and all the water started pouring out of the bottom of the rig. For a fraction of a second I thought the tank was busted but common sense kicked in and I realized the drain was left open. It is still winter after all. 30 minutes of cursing and crawling around later I gave up and figured it wouldn't matter any way since our reserved camp site had water and electric hook up anyway. Let me point out the owner's manual was completely useless since they make them generic for all their models.

So off we went on our first motor home trip. I took it easy and drove at a relaxed pace since it was the first time I was putting any real time behind the wheel. My route was the chosen because it was more scenic and had lower speed limits. That turned out to be a bad idea because the pavement was poorly maintained and it made for about 60% of our 4 hour trip out there rough and loud. It also made my wife pretty motion sick to the point that by the time we got to Alamogordo and I realized my GPS route to the Oliver Lee State Park was wrong (we ended up on a dirt road and it's paved all the way to the state park having been there a couple of times before) that I disgustedly threw in the towel and headed to our usual stop at the Motel 6. It was pitch black or I would have tried circling around to find the right exit but when you have a crying baby and motion sick wife you have to know when enough is enough.

The next morning we woke up early and moved back to the motor home. I whipped up a fresh breakfast of strawberry pancakes and sausage and we all felt better with home cooked hot meal in our bellies. Then it was off to White Sands National Memorial where we like to visit during the winter months to do some hiking/sledding and other wise just let the dogs runs crazy once we are a bit off the beaten path. We pull up and there are military uniforms every where and the park is closed. Apparently a drone was shot down on Saturday and it crashed into the park some where.
I felt bad for the couple with their 5th wheel that had driven 3000Km all the way down from Canada. Back to Alamogordo we went to their city park where we let the dogs stretch their legs and our daughter played on the play ground. We hung out there for an hour before I remembered the Space History Museum there and mentioned it to my wife. She gave the thumbs up so off we went. We spent another hour walking around and looking at all the various displays and history of our space exploration programs and I even took a hand at landing the space shuttle on one their simulator. You'll be happy to know that everyone survived the landing with only one hop on touch down. More than I can say from the previous pilot.

So instead of our usual play time in the great white sand box we got in a nice tour, our daughter got to play with the switches in the International Space Station capsule, and we spent some family time in the rather nice open park Alamogordo has right off the main strip. I grew up there as a kid so I was pretty familiar with local turf. It was a nice sunny morning and it made for a good start on the day. Around 11 am we decided to head on back home so I filled up at just above a quarter tank averaging 8.65 mpg for the first leg of our trip. I will need more fill ups to get a real average but it's a good start.

The return trip was a little less direct but was the faster route going mostly highway speeds. A little more hilly too where I kept the engine from down shifting as much as possible by taking over from cruise control on the steeper inclines and other wise just cruised about 70 mph top speed. The roads were much smoother and we made pretty good time. By the time I pulled up to the house we still had half a tank of gas and a full tank of propane even though the fridge had been on all weekend and the furnace used in the morning to warm up the place.

After unloading I did the post trip clean up and there it was, the bypass valve I believe is for the white water tank under the sink. At least I hope it is. It was set to bypass so before we head out in March I plan on testing out the water heater and pump to make sure the next trip means we can dry camp if we have to.

For the weekend I have a wash planned along with a new head unit (mp3 player) and entertainment set up so our over whelmed laptop can take a break.

If you've read this far thanks again for all the friendly advice and the warm welcome. Next time I will take pictures to include in my road report.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #13

The bypass valve is to bypass the hot water tank when winterizing. The fresh water tank drain valve is probably in a bay close to the fresh water tank. Mine is.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Well then the hunt for the drain valve continues. I may have to contact the dealership and bug them if I can't find it this weekend. Thanks for clarifying what the bypass valve under the sink is though.

Tags
fleetwood