Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Plumbing case under floor??

Hello Rv's
Im back again with my albatrose of an RV my 1992 Gulfstream Ultra limited. I can turn it over with the help of starting fluid but I think my issue lies with a bad fuel pump. I don't want to have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump so I was going to cut a hole through the floor and make a trap door to gain access from the top. My question is regarding the plumbing do the Gulfstreams run their toilet pipe through a case of some sort??? I'm drilling holes in areas that should pop through the middle of the floor like in the hallway area but I'm running into some resistance.

Im at my wits end with this RV and have tried everything folks on here have suggested I do. I hope someone can give my some info.

thanks,
Mike
CNYRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Why not just install a good external electric fuel pump and be done with it?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
plumbing

OK, I wasn't even aware that that was an option I don't believe anyone that replied has mentioned that. Are they running the same price as a regular one???
Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You can find decent ones for around $60 and up. Depending on where and how you mount them you will possibly hear it running/vibrating so location and installing some type of shock absorbing material is somewhat crucial. The last one I had to use was on a dodge one ton truck that seemed to always have vapor lock when towing. Dodge replaced the in tank pump for me twice before I just gave up and installed the external pump in line with the old one. I installed mine in the frame as close to the tank as possible.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #5

In mine and many others the pump was OK it was the rubber hose between the pump and the fuel line that went away over the years. On mine you could see through the hose! A new outside pump won't be able to draw. This hose is up high in the tank. Here's mine.

That "thing" next to the pump is all that's left of the hose, now if you pump is bad and this hose is OK, you're in!

I my case the tank opening was to the rear of any plumbing and the pipes were in a protective metal "trough". The galvanized metal in the pic is this trough.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
external fuel pump

Well it looks like I'm going to have to drop the tank, because I can barely see the top of the tank to see the condition of the hose and it that's bad the external wont work. I cant get to the top of the tank through the floor SOOOOO I'm thinking tank drop. Now the tank on my RV has a drain plug it but I'm not even going to try and open it since it is so rusty. Is it possible to snake a hose down the fill pipe and siphon out the gas so the tank is somewhat manageable when I drop it???

If I am able to put in an external fuel pump where do I purchase one???? I've looked online but what is out there doesn't seem to pertain to my application, then again I have no idea what I'm looking for so it may be the right application and I just don't know it. Thanks to those that reply

Mike

Tags
plumbing