Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #1

Possible battery/alternator problems

Hello! This is my first post as I have just bought my first RV, it's an 1988 Ford Econoline Travelmaster 26'. Bought it for $2500 from a used car dealer, about 60,000 miles. Was purported to be in excellent condition. Was issued 2020 inspection sticker recently. Did a walk through and test drive, everything seemed fine. But noticed a tail light out during test drive.

Dealer said he'd fix tail light before I came back to pick it up after getting plates from DMV, etc. Came back a week later to pick it up. Noticed the tail lights covers had been switched (we had pointed out that the one with the license plate illumination light was under the ladder, which didn't make sense) and saw electrical tape, a razor and a wire cap sitting on the spare tire, as if electrical work had been done to something in the back (like the tail light). Went to start the RV; heard clicking, but didn't start, as if the battery was dead. Turned on some of the 12v appliances, they were very weak or wouldn't turn on. Figured someone left a light on and the battery died? Told the mechanic on duty, he came with a jump starter, but upon the 3rd try, the engine started. So we shrugged, and drove off.

Filled it up with gas because it had been on E. Noticed the back tail light was still out. Drove it 15 mins to Camping World to get propane fill. Turned it off, went into store, came out in 5 minutes, it wouldn't start again. Monitor panel lights not on, generator won't start, interior lights won't come on. Tried and tried and tried. Borrowed a jump starter and got it to start. Drove off down the NY State Thruway. After 15 minutes of driving, I notice it's starting to lose power. Got my foot down to the floor on the gas pedal but it feels like less and less gas it getting to the engine and I'm losing speed. Eventually start hearing clicking sound. Radio is turning on and off, and charger powered by cigarette lighter is doing the same. Eventually comes to a crawl, and stops. Engine stays running, but does not react when pressing gas pedal. Hazard lights remain on, but looked dim and slow. Needing a tow off the Thruway, which was a nightmare.

Called dealership. Mechanic claims he picked it up from the tow pound, it started fine and drove almost the whole way back, but then eventually started "acting up". He says the fuel pump went bad and he'll replace it. I told him about all the other electrical issues, but he hasn't responded to that.

Could it be just the fuel pump? Bad batteries? Bad alternator? Parasitic drain/open wire from whatever tomfoolery was going on with the electrical tape? I feel like I got an okay deal on the price, but it was also advertised to be in excellent condition. Was not planning on buying something that breaks down before I even get it home, no matter what the price was. Anyone who has any ideas, any advice would be appreciated!
RVN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #2

Welcome to the fourm.

Your fuel pump is electric and in the tank? That would explain the low or no engine power. Your alternator I bet was not charging. Does it have an ammeter on the dash and did it indicate a charge or no charge when running? IMO you have a couple of things going on. Based on what you've said If I was in your situation I would replace the alternator and the regulator (if its not internal to the alternator), charge the batteries and have them tested, and have a competent friend or pay someone to look at your wiring job in the rear. Kinda sounds like a hatchet job.

You could be right about the drain, only testing for that will tell. Electrical demons can be time consuming to track down and expensive if you pay a mechanic. If its not something you want to deal with now, maybe install a ground interupt switch or just disconnect the negative cable from the battery(s) when its sitting.

Sorry your here with a problem. Hope this helps and I'm sure better minds will chime in.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #3

First off, have the battery properly charged and then load tested. Any problem with the battery will affect the whole electrical system.

If the battery passes, then do a charging system test with a volt meter. 13.8 to 14.4 volts with the engine running is what you want to see.

Just to point out what should be obvious: expecting no trouble from a 32 year old vehicle is not realistic. This is why you paid $2500 not $60,000.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Take a breathe.... One step at a time.. you have some issues, maybe one that causes secondary problems,, or you have a couple...

I got a used 94 shuttle conversion..years back, took it for a spin, new battery, it ran Ok but the alternator was not working that well.. It was low out put, some altenators will rob power when bad... BUt it ran well until voltage got very low, It would not restart.. New altenator and we were good to drive back from Florida where I bought it, I am from PA..
then
It would go about 160-170 miles and loose power/cut out... Iwould fill it up and she ran fine.. So i figured the Tank size was not a 30 gallon.. at 6-7 mpg..

well it got worse and I bought a fuel pump, dropped tank and found the sock/filter full of orange RTV silicone.. some ome did a fuelpump and used RTV on fuel tank fuel pump seal and the hoses/fill and vent. OMG what a mess...

In your case, is the 88 fuel inj or carbed, regardless, do a complete tune up. plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter...

My latest purchase is a 96 Minie.32K on it,.. I did the fuel tank dump, filters, tuneup etc etc,, new batteries, belts since it sat since 2012 or so...

after 2500 miles or so, I developed overheating, then loss of power, I redid cooling system,, did not help that much.. Fount the Catylitic converer was breaking down, clogging itself and even the muffler was full of crap..

I removed cat as it is not required over 11K GVW... 3inch free flow exhaust.
I am now a happy camper.. until this weekend when a front brake/disc pad came off.. luched the rotor,, did a fast pad change at camp... problem was pads were thick but are old, originals... the lining peeled off..

SO yes older, cheaper units will need some attention to become happy camper..

take your time on this one, one step at a time, frustrating but necessary..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, battery, ems, problem, problems