Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2020, 01:56 AM   #1

Possibly too open ended. Mileage or age

Hi all, your opinion please. Should my wife and I consider a newer high mileage (100k +) ex rental circa 2016 or should we consider a much lower mileage (30-50k) older RV I.e 2010?
Thank you in advance
DazzaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2020, 02:30 AM   #2

check out this discussion I read a while back. Surprisingly a lot of people seem happy with ex-rentals. I was surprised

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f.../1/page/69.cfm
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
check out this discussion I read a while back. Surprisingly a lot of people seem happy with ex-rentals. I was surprised

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f.../1/page/69.cfm
Thank you for your input. I am aware of the thread. But.....I’m trying to wrap my head around the mileage. However the 450’s are known to do big miles
DazzaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a lot of really well made class c's out there built prior to the rv industry crash in 2008, build quality is on a whole different level. I would look at 2007-2008 that have decent miles to low miles, then compare to newer unit, you will be surprised, and save a lot of $$$. Wilth the money saved, you can update it and make it the way you want it, replace jack knife sofa with recliners, new upgraded mattress ect. Just my 2 cents worth.
Happy shopping !
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #5

I would place more value on a quality-built house versus age. That assuming the house is not weather-beaten. A quality-built older rig in protected storage, whether in a garage, pole barn, or car-port, would be exceptional.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I am back a few many years in my quest, wit same/similar motor/chassis. I did a 134K unit that was well maintained. Sure I redid interior to fit my needs and desires. Weekend warrior, 2-3 days 12-16 times a year and a couple weeks here and there. Up keep of chassis was typical..tire, fluids, After 170K, I redid lots on chassis, Brakes-complete, Exhaust, Cooling Complete in waterpump. Shocks, Altenator, Fuel pump, computer.....
She is at 190ish and will go another 50k without issue..

Fast forward to 2019, need a bit more room than the 22 footer C Class.. Found a couple years newer 29RQ, 31K, well kept..... Got it late May2019.. had a no start genny but new michlens, new batteries...
Well....lucky I got a smokin deal.. Sure motor was sweet, Clean underside. spotless inside.

BUT..

On way home speedo went wacko, trans default to 2nd gear for 130 miles...
Wire broken behind dash at splice for VSS service port... I has the same wire fail on other RV near fuel tank so I knew circuit..
Did tune up, changed all fluid..
House Battery was 7 months but toast..
Front brake pad fell off during a down hill .. ruined rotor..
After 2300-2500 of use..it would run hot.. worse when i would tow.
Did cooling System.. did not help much, $1200+my labor.. shot.
Cat converter was clogging from sitting around I assume..
Did new free flow exhaust..
Ran over a spike in passing lane, blew tire.. Well the older michlen have been replaced, found one, pricey but they all match again..
Just got 4 good shocks ad a HD stabilzer,, Rides well but figured why not...it only has 37K now..
Oh I got another Onan at a salvage yard...

So this winter I do like others mentioned.. Some inside reno to make it how I like it,, Spent last 6 weekends,, With new laminate flooring, Some new lighting, Electrical updates with new Inverter, auto tranfer with room to add some solar this summer..

So back to what the OP asked.. IMO get the best deal with the unit that has what you want.. Service recorded are a must and you can tell if it is used/abused.... Wear and tear on inside and out... Did it tow or not, Was Trans updated or serviced..
I service Trans yearly , I tow 4-6K loads regularly..

A 3-4 year old unit, with 20-60K will need batterys, base services and should be clean, that same unit 8-12 years old,, Expect to do more if nothin was ever done..

If miles are 60-100.. expect for a but more work but if serviced well, Brakes-rotors, suspension may need attention or may have been done.. Same goes for hi milers, some people are anal and replace as needed or just becasue, while others run it,,,,

If you are able to do some wrenching or have a friend, if you can fixer up the RV stuff, then you are golden to take a chance...

Some of those 2 or 4 year rentals can be OK units but I would want service records and go over it with a good RV/Mechanic, look for what was touched and wrenched.. I have inspected a few RV's for people before they looked or traveled to see unit.. I dont mind seeing some wrenching on chassis or RV parts but they tell a story.. some good and some leaves questions..

Keep asking, make a plan and look good, take your time , open every compartment, flashligth.. etc
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's what we did, looked and looked for a specific floor plan, about to give up when a dealer calls me and says I found it. Well long story short, 2 years ago purchased a inside stored 31m 2007 Fleetwood west texas unit, not a spec of rust anywhere on the chassis, and get this, 6100 miles! Smelled new looked new, I fully inspected it and it was never lived in full time, so fast fwd to today, replaced fuel pump on the onan, ran multiple seafoam treatments for the onan, replaced converter charger, removed Jack knife sofa that is like a park bench, replaced with recliners, it's been trouble free, now has 11,000 on it , looking back, I stole it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I would place more value on a quality-built house versus age. That assuming the house is not weather-beaten. A quality-built older rig in protected storage, whether in a garage, pole barn, or car-port, would be exceptional.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #8

We went with a higher mileage ex-rental (Canadream). Had it two years and happy with it so far.

I think generally older units would be considered better built, but if you're comparing 2010 to 2016, there's not going to be a lot in it.

2016 should have the newer transmission that people say is much better (mine doesn't but I came from a 1990, so it's still great to me).

Me, I'd go with the 2016, the truck can certainly handle the higher mileage.

Steve
Old 03-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #9

Based on my recollection in 2009-2010 during the great recession, I would avoid entry-level rigs manufactured during that time period. I say this because of the posts from new owners back then with complaints of serious manufacturing defects like one I recall, a new Forest River owner at that time. His post went something like this.

I see sunlight beaming from the outside, directly into my upper kitchen cabinet from a crack where the wall meets the ceiling. They fixed it with a dang caulking gun.....what the (expletive)

Needless to say the owner was not happy with his purchase, and nor would I.

I heard Forest River was soon thereafter absorbed into a larger company who made quality improvements in their Forest River division. I have not read of such complaints after the recession rebound.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzaB View Post
Hi all, your opinion please. Should my wife and I consider a newer high mileage (100k +) ex rental circa 2016 or should we consider a much lower mileage (30-50k) older RV I.e 2010?
Thank you in advance

For what its worth, about 2 years ago we bought a Winnebago Minnie Winnie 27Q that was in a dealer's rental fleet. It was a 2016 model on a 2015 Ford E450 chassis and had about 38,000 miles on it. Both the coach and chassis were very clean and well maintained.

The unit was built by Winnebago to the rental specifications of the dealer here in Anchorage, Alaska, that rents motorhomes to tourists and locals during the summer season. After three seasons of rental, the units are pulled out, spruced up, and sold for about 60% of their original cost.

Its certainly possible we got lucky in getting such a great motorhome that was a rental, but this particular dealer has an outstanding reputation both locally and in the tourist industry.

We've already made two trips from Alaska to the Lower-48 and back with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Just routine inspection and maintenance. We have made quite a few modifications and added several accessories, all for the sake of comfort and convenience.

This is my long-winded way of saying its very possible to get a great RV that was previously a rental. Obviously buyers should certainly do their homework and do very thorough inspections before committing to buy one. If one is not completely familiar with RVs and their systems, it would be wise to get an inspection by someone who is knowledgeable of such things.

If you've been on this site and similar ones very much you'll see that RVs are very complex and subject to many problems, even sometimes with new ones, so don't expect to get a totally perfect rig. It's also wise to be a do-it-yourselfer as much as possible, or wealthy enough to be able to pay for modifications or repairs.

In any case, be willing to learn all about RVs and RVing. You won't regret the time invested in doing so. And don't hesitate to ask questions. There is a vast amount of industry knowledge right here on this site as well as others.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #11

Consider this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzaB View Post
Thank you in advance
Are you sure it was a rental? If so, skip it.

OR, if it was someone's private RV then 100,000 miles is probably all highway miles.... different story.

Also, service records and condition is critical.

Normally, I always go for the newest model.... really depends on what I said above. And price.

Good luck.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
Are you sure it was a rental? If so, skip it.

OR, if it was someone's private RV then 100,000 miles is probably all highway miles.... different story.
Skip it? Based on what?

I have an ex-Rental and am very happy with it, apart from higher mileage there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Many other people have ex-rentals and are happy with them.

Rental companies whole business and reputation depends on supplying an RV that's reliable, they're regularly checked and maintained, they have to be.

What leads you to believe that a high mileage privately owned RV would be better maintained?

Steve
Old 03-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
Skip it? Based on what?

I have an ex-Rental and am very happy with it, apart from higher mileage there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Many other people have ex-rentals and are happy with them.

Rental companies whole business and reputation depends on supplying an RV that's reliable, they're regularly checked and maintained, they have to be.

What leads you to believe that a high mileage privately owned RV would be better maintained?

Steve

Before we bought what we have I seriously looked at a ex rental class c from Cruise America. What I really liked was there was little gadgetry and while everything in it was not top of the line nor latest and greatest it was time proven equipment. Too bad we can’t seem to buy them new like that.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Before we bought what we have I seriously looked at a ex rental class c from Cruise America. What I really liked was there was little gadgetry and while everything in it was not top of the line nor latest and greatest it was time proven equipment. Too bad we can’t seem to buy them new like that.
I think it can vary.
I've seen lots of comments about ex rentals being paired down versions.

Ours came with an Awning that the renters were never allowed to use.
Onan Genset that they had to get service before we picked up because it wouldn't start (lack of use, runs great now).
Small (40w) solar panel, not much but helps, I'd like to upgrade this one day.
Airbags for the rear axle.
Arctic package with tank heat pads.

Mechanically it was sound, it was actually higher mileage than the 1990 we had prior, I think a little over 100K Miles if I remember correctly, but it's an E450 with a V10, they're just getting worn in at that mileage.

They did the brakes before we picked it up.

We actually had 4 we could pick from, we chose ours because of the interior colours and options.

Downside, a few scuffs on the interior that you would get on any RV that's had kids in it.
Scuff at the rear where someone had hit something with the rear swinging out (they replaced a baggage door, but the scratches are still visible.
Graphics were faded, we paid someone to remove and replace them, got a custom graphic for the nose to cover the area where the Canadream graphic was.
Tires were horrible no-name brand, they wouldn't replace them because they had lots of tread left. I ended up changing them anyway.

Steve