Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #1

Power converter

I have a power converter with battery charger series 6300 A model 6345, is there any other power converter that I can use besides that same one or should I go back with the same series and model?
Joshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 06:10 PM   #2

From the model number I would guess you have an older Parallax power panel. The best replacement for that old converter is a Progressive Dynamics 4600 series which is the converter already mounted in the "can" and is a slide in, slide out, affair. It also comes with a new fuse panel that has controls for the charge wizard features of the new converter.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd4600-converter/

Note that under specifications it says....

Model #PD4655V replaces these
converter sections: Parallax/Magnatek #6345,
Parallax #7345,
Parallax #8345, WFCO™ #8945

Which appears to be a typographical error and should read PD4645V instead. The last two digits are the amperage and unless you have 6 gauge wire from the power panel to the battery (most are 8 gauge) you should stick with the 45 amp version, which you have now.

Here are the instructions (they are for many different models and you need only read the paragraphs that pertain to the model power panel you have).............

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...rs-manual.pdf]

This is a multi-stage converter that on a heavily discharged battery will start out at about 14.4 volts (bulk charge rate) and later drop to 13.6 volts (top off rate) and when fully charged will drop to about 13.2 volts to maintain the battery without boiling it. Your batteries will last much longer with this unit.

Other manufacturers (WFCO for instance) also make multi stage chargers that can replace the Parallax unit, but the WFCO in particular is noted for not changing stages properly, I had one that didn't work properly and ditched it in favor of the PD unit which works flawlessly.

If you want to talk to someone about this before making the leap, I would suggest Randy at Best Converter.

https://www.bestconverter.com/4600-s...its_c_133.html

DO NOT buy the optional pendant as the features of it are already contained in the new fuse panel that comes with the new converter. It is rare that you will need to force the converter into a charge mode other than what it automatically selects and if you do need to, it is easily done with the button on the new fuse panel, by simply opening the front door and pushing it. The pendant is just necessary if the power panel is difficult or nearly impossible to access. The new fuse panel also has blow fuse indicators on every branch circuit fuse.

I have installed two of these and have been quite pleased with them. I highly recommend them.

Charles

This pic is of the panel in my motorhome, which I sold in 2019, with the new converter and fuse panel.

The two bottom pics are of the installation in my Bigfoot Trailer last year. The fuse panel is the same but the color has changed somewhat from the one I installed earlier in the motorhome. Pics are from a write up I did on the Bigfoot Owners Club Forum.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferrule inst dc fuse panel FINAL version with spade connectors.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	456.4 KB
ID:	337494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferrule inst dc fuse panel blown fuse indicator.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	337495  

Old 07-27-2021, 06:12 PM   #3

I had a fifth wheel with that Magnetek converter/charger several years ago.
Bottom line - I hated it. It boiled the first two batteries dry pretty quickly. (I keep my fifth wheel plugged in to shore power when we're home).
I was told that the charger was only a single stage and that it just kept pumping 13.6 volts into the batteries all the time.

I bought a Progressive Dynamics PD9245 and have been using them ever since.
They're not that expensive and the newer model have four charging modes and come with a plug in pendant in case you want to monitor the charging situation.
I've never boiled a battery dry since then, over the span of owning 4 different fifth wheels.

If you're somewhat handy, it's no problem to isolate the current charger/converter out of the circuit, then hook up the PD9245 in it's place. Run the 110 wires from the box to the PD9245, then run the 12 volt wires from the 12 volt panel to the output terminals on thee PD.

And, as always, make sure you're disconnected from shore power and your batteries are unhooked before starting.

Guess I'm slow on typing tonight!

Edited to add: Or you can go with what CharlesinGA said, either way, you're getting a much better charger and a better filtered DC current
kgburns1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, power