RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #1

Power Converter Replacement Suggestion

Hello,

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v. Recently, the 12v lighting has been turning off while plugged into shore power. In addition, the fan for the power converter seems to run often and is quite noisy. I don't recall this happening previously, which leads me to believe the intermittent light failure and the fan noise are signs of a bad power converter.

It looks like this is the OEM replacement for this power converter(link below).Some reviews mentioned this was quite loud. Wondering if anyone has some suggestions on a better power converter. Maybe a different manufacturer?

https://www.amazon.com/Arterra-WF-98...1051208&sr=8-1

Ctrujillo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just replaced mine in a 07 tioga, it's the same as Fleetwood used, I dont hear it at all , fan kicks on when heavy light load or is charging batteries when they are low, is it noisy? No. Easy plug and play.

avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Just replaced mine in a 07 tioga, it's the same as Fleetwood used, I dont hear it at all , fan kicks on when heavy light load or is charging batteries when they are low, is it noisy? No. Easy plug and play.
Same WFCO WF-9845 Model? Not very noisy?
Ctrujillo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #4

The lights turning off while on shore power probably have nothing to do with the converter. The coach batteries provide power for the lights, the converter just keeps the batteries charged up. So look for a loose wire or something.

Progressive Dynamics and WFCO both make similar converters that could replace your noisy one. But first check to see if it is in a hot location with no ventilation which could lead to running the fan all of the time. This assumes that the fan is on a thermostat that only lets the fan run when it gets too hot.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
The lights turning off while on shore power probably have nothing to do with the converter. The coach batteries provide power for the lights, the converter just keeps the batteries charged up. So look for a loose wire or something.

Progressive Dynamics and WFCO both make similar converters that could replace your noisy one. But first check to see if it is in a hot location with no ventilation which could lead to running the fan all of the time. This assumes that the fan is on a thermostat that only lets the fan run when it gets too hot.

David
Actually, the converter does power the lights and other 12 volt items, with or without the batteries.
That's why its called a converter/charger and not just a charger.

If the battery disconnect is in the disconnect ( off ) position, a failing converter could cause lights to go off and on.

If the battery disconnect is on, the lights working without shore power, and going on and off with shore power, its probably not the converter. More likely a connection or a auto resetable circuit breaker .
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wfco 45 is a direct replacement, that's why I said "plug and play" 2 output wires, one ground wire and a 110v plug, easy took me all of 30 min to change it. Mounting is the same all the holes line up, nothing to modify.
Mine died while camping hooked to shore power, 1st night all was well, second night, all lights were getting dim, noticed fridge had the check light on, checked house battery voltage, was at 11.8, went to wall mart, purchased a Stanley smart charger, and hooked it to the house batteries so the weekend would not be a bust. I still carry the charger as it is light along with a very small jumper pac in case ALL the batteries go dead. ( chassis and house)
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #7

Powermax also makes direct replacement models. I have one sitting here looking at me that I haven’t tackled yet, since I got a higher amperage version. If you get the smaller one, it should be just as East as the wfco to replace, and adds smart charging.

https://powermaxconverters.com/product/pm3-mba/
Old 06-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #8

Thanks for being up this topic.
We have a 2000 Tioga with the original converter/charger that is still performing well.
However , I would like to upgrade to a larger amperage (55 amp) converter and charger that has a smart 4 stage charger.
Can anyone recommend a brand or manufacturer?
Thanks for your help.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #9

charger

30 amp converter/charger is good for group 27 lead/acid battery (60 amp hours).
50 amp for 200 amp hour
80 amp for 400 amp hour

Battery manufacturer data will reveal how much the battery can absorb during bulk charge.
I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
Thanks for being up this topic.
We have a 2000 Tioga with the original converter/charger that is still performing well.
However , I would like to upgrade to a larger amperage (55 amp) converter and charger that has a smart 4 stage charger.
Can anyone recommend a brand or manufacturer?
Thanks for your help.

There are two 4 stage convertors that are very good, look up progressive and battleborn(I think thatís correct ) but both are top of the line converters they do have direct replacements for WFCO. Make sure you get the wizard, then you can make it go into the bulk charge anytime you want or need it.

gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, converter, power, replace, replacement