Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #1

Power mirrors and emergency start

Hi,
So, my mirrors were not working on my first trip of my new (to me) jamboree gt.

I was checking fuses and they were good, but replaced the mirror fuse, just to check. Mirrors were still dead. Then I was going to start the engine to make sure it did not have to be running to adjust them.

Motor would not start and i thought it was a good time to try the emergency start button. (Didn’t help, so not a dead battery), however with the switch in the on position the mirrors work. I won’t leave it on the on position, but can at least move mirrors when i need to.

Thought this may help some of the folks that are having trouble with mirrors. Might work, might not.
Also, curious if anyone would know why this may be happening.

Glad i joined this site, so much knowledge.

Thanks
Hrhvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #2

I never Tryed the mirrors without the key on. Even when I replaced one. To try it I had the key on.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I never Tryed the mirrors without the key on. Even when I replaced one. To try it I had the key on.
Yes, i also had the key on and was driving as i tried to adjust the mirrors, but they would not move.
Almost by accident i found that when i had the emergency start button pushed down, then the mirror switch would work, (still with key on)
Maybe my mirrors are run thru the house batteries somehow?
Old 04-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #4

Did you not say the chassis battery was dead and would not start? If that's the case and you pushed the jump button, then yes they would work since you were adding power to the chassis battery.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #5

Sorry, i guess i did say that. But two unrelated issues. My mirror switch never did work since I got the rv a few weeks ago.

Today, when i went to start the engine, it would not crank over, and while holding the emergency start button the mirrors would work. They would then stop working as soon as i stopped pushing the emergency button. Even with the engine still running.

I hope that explains it better.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #6

That makes sense then. Some how the power wire for the mirrors got switched or tied into the emergency circuit.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #7

My cruise control does not work either, i wonder if it is also on that same circuit.

If that is the case, then i would like to somehow rewire it.

Nice to have cruise control, the mirrors are not as big a deal, just have to hit the emergency switch, move the mirrors, then turn the emerg back off again.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #8

Cruise control is wired through the brake switch. If lights work, good if not then the switch may be bad.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #9

So, if my brake lights work, then i have a bad cruise control switch?
If the brake lights dont come on then i have a bad “switch” down by the brake pedal?
I’ll have to check that tomorrow.
Thanks for the tip. Is one more prevalent than the other?
Old 04-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #10

Brake light switch is on the/at the master cylinder under the hood. Could even wiring under the hood if a critter got in there. If all the fuses are good, then that's where I would start looking with a volt meter.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:57 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What you have is a bad or defective solenoid, as soon as engine starts off the "boost" switch it should latch the relay to charge both the chassis battery and house batteries, OR chassis battery is fried and will not accept a charge, to start I would remove chassis battery and have it checked at a auto parts store. Also check alternator output, should be 13.7 to 14.4 depending on temperature
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IGN control on mirrors might stop kids/ grandkids tampering, and/or phantom loads from Mirror heat draining battery? IGN control makes sense to me.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:10 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhvt View Post
My cruise control does not work either, i wonder if it is also on that same circuit.

If that is the case, then i would like to somehow rewire it.

Nice to have cruise control, the mirrors are not as big a deal, just have to hit the emergency switch, move the mirrors, then turn the emerg back off again.
There are several FIRE SAFETY RECALLS on Ford CRUISE CONTROL, so I would recommend you get your VIN and see if a Ford Dealer and/or Truck Shop can verify by phone if you have outstanding recalls; might alos look for websites that you can search?

Tags
power