Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #1

Smile Power Surge Protectors

Is it wise to use a Power Surge Protector when camping. I have heard different responses. If so, would love some recommendations of some good ones. I have a 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J Class C. It is only 30 amps. Thanks for any advice or recommendations.
RCucamonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #2

A 50 amp 240 volt shore power system can do a lot of damage to an RV. All it takes is a little corrosion in the neutral channel. Corrosion or a bad connection for the neutral is too common. Heavily used power pedestals or plugs can do it. It is more a matter of when, not if,

A 30 amp 120 volt shore power system does not suffer from the same failure mode. Usually it just stops working.

That said, there is a case for 30 amp as well. Voltage too high or too low can damage both systems. High voltage is less common. Low voltage running A/C can cause A/C to get too hot and fail. Low voltage is much more common.

I don't have one for my 30 amp 120 volt Kodiak Cub. I keep it plugged in at home but rarely use A/C and rarely plug in at campgrounds.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The standard unit is basically surge only. Its highly recommended to also add a full EMS unit. One that fully qualifies the power before gating power through to the coach - high/low voltage and frequency, pedistal wiring correct, etc. Plus provides a delay to preclude damage from rapid on/off power cycling. It also adds additional surge protection.

Progressive Industries is a very popular brand with a lifetime warranty and excellent technical support. Available in hard-wire or portable versions - both with the same functionality.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a Surge Guard 34850 in addition to the built in surge protector that came with the coach. It's protected us from one miswired pedestal at one campground - so probably paid for itself.
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:57 PM   #5

Quite frankly, I would consider a plug in model. I have had that exact same unit in a motor home, it works quite well. You can get the same features, function in a portable unit. I seriously doubt that someone will try to steal it, so that really should not be a consideration. The hardwired one is some work, unless you are electrical savvy I would refrain from attempting the job. Attached are pics of my motorhome installation in the shore cord compartment.

Here is the text of a post I made on another forum in response to almost the same question about surge suppression/electric management..........

I installed a hardwired Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C in the Winnebago View motor home I had previously. Sold it. Unit worked good, I liked having the display inside that showed the volts, amps, cycles, and previous or current error code. Its gone now, so I gotta do it all over again.

Planning on a portable unit this time, get a new RV, and keep the device, they are too expensive to keep giving away when I sell something.

Considering the Progressive EMS-PT30X. It has the same display built into it, so if you want to see it, you gotta go to the pedestal and look at it. Must hang vertically when in use (not sure why) so the lack of Bluetooth to an app or inside display and the must hang vertically are the Cons of this. Also, the surge suppressor in this unit cannot be replaced by the owner, and must be returned to Progressive. USA made and does display cycles are pluses to me. Other good pluses are a weather cover over the receptacle where the shore cord plugs in. $286 on Amazon, cannot be purchased from Mfg.

Second is the Southwire/Surge Guard 34930 OR 34931. This has all of the bells and
whistles too. It monitors cycles and shuts down if out of range, but does not display the cycles. The 34931 has the optional Bluetooth capability to a display inside the RV (I like that), but apparently no app to use on phone or tablet. No mention of a replaceable surge suppressor, in fact it says the unit should be replaced if you get a surge failure warning. $251 from Amazon, cannot be purchased direct from mfg.

Third is the Hughes PWD-30EPO which does all of the same things as the others, but will Bluetooth to your phone or tablet, no separate display available. I cannot find anything that says it monitors cycles, so not sure on that one. It does have a user replaceable surge suppressor in case yours blows. $255 retail from Hughes. $230 on Amazon.

Progressive features and comparison chart
Portable & Hardwired Comparisons | progressiveind

Southwire/Surge Guard feature and comparison charg, scroll to bottom of page
Surge Guard RV Power Protection | Southwire RV

Hughes features and comparison chart, scroll down the page to near the bottom.
Products – Power Watchdog | Hughes Autoformers

For me, what I would like to have is the Southwire 40430 which is a transfer switch and EMS combined. I have a built in generator, so this would be perfect, but it is something like $600 and no one would talk about discounting it. I think it is an odd beast that may disappear from the market Southwire has not taken any pains to promote it.

I am liking the Hughes unit more than the others

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PI HW30C installation.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	324468   Click image for larger version

Name:	PI HW30C remote installation.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	324469  

Old 04-09-2021, 09:09 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
An EMS surge protector was the first thing I bought for my MH when I started RVing years ago. I have always used Progressive units and never had an issue with them. Also they have a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:13 PM   #7

I would not be without my Progressive. I have a plug in, it comes with a bracket for a padlock. I have used it for years.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:22 PM   #8

surge protector

I have the Southwire 34931 which is a surge protector and an EMS with a blue tooth display inside the MH. Now that Southwire bought Surge Guard it has a lifetime warranty. The inside display is very helpful to monitor the amp usage and not trip the pedestal breaker. Think mornings when using microwave, toaster, coffee pot, frying pan hair dryer, water heater etc., it is very easy to exceed 30 amps
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:16 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Another vote for an EMS system. We have a progressive unit on our rit and it has saved us 4 times in the last year.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power