Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #1

Power to 7 way plug on Chevy 4500?

2015 Forester on a Chevy 4500 chassis. My 7 way plug works for lights without any problem. But, I want to hook up a signal repeater for a TPMS on the rear of the coach and I'm looking for a switched 12v power source. (I'm the first to admit I'm too lazy to run a new wire from front to back particularly when there's 2 unused wires sitting there.)

It looks like the black and yellow wires, the auxiliary circuit and brake power circuit wires, are not powered up at the connection under the back bumper. I looked under the driver's seat at the fuse block and it looks like there's a fuse in place for the auxiliary circuit (fuse#26), but there's no power to it. I've been researching and it looks like there needs to be a connection made under the dash or under the hood but for the life of me I can't find the other end of the black or yellow wires up front.

Anyone else done this that can give me a hint as to where I can find the front end of those wires? If you used them, where did you attach them for power?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 07:15 AM   #2

Why not take it to a Chevy dealership and ask them what needs to be done?
Old 09-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #3

Do you have a rear closet that has a light? Just tap into that, or any other 12v source in the rear. The repeater doesn’t need to be outside, just close to the back.
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Why not take it to a Chevy dealership and ask them what needs to be done?

$120 an hour for my Chevy dealer to even look at something.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
My guess your situation is similar to my findings!

I wanted 12 volts at that 7 pin connector to charge the toad while towing. I saw those extra wires on my Concord. I talked to Coachman and they told me the wires do not make it up front to the Chevy part of the system.

I ended up buying cable and running it from the battery (area) all the way to the 7 pin connector. The positive lead goes to a switchable circuit breaker I bought off of ebay and then to a red + junction area under the hood on the passenger side.

That's a long haul for the 12 volts but it works good enough. When I park the RV when not using it, I switch the breaker off.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:26 AM   #6

After a couple hours tracing wires I finally solved the puzzle....the 7 way plug at the back bumper is not OEM. I opened several wiring looms and traced the wires from the rear connector forward. I found the OEM trailer wiring and it was only set up for a 4 wire system and terminated about where the original chassis ended. It was basically a Forest River hamfisted attempt at connecting a trailer plug as they added two more wires that were connected to nothing and ran those two wires to the rear connector, hence the confusion on my part. I was able to use one of those wires and connected from the end of it to the cab to obtain the power I needed. It took a couple days of poking, prodding and looking but i got it figured out.
Thanks for the input all.

Tags
chevy, power