Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 01:29 AM   #1

Preferences on where to fill up gasoline coach

Hello all,
We are planning a 21 day 4500 mile round trip from Georgia to Mt. Rushmore then on to Yellowstone. When traveling in our car for long distances we usually would stop at the Loves truck stops to fill up and stretch out our legs. They seem to be spaced out at about 2 to 2.5 hour intervals on the interstates. They are always clean and always have fresh coffee. However they don't have credit cards for non truck fleet owners. We would like to use a gas card for our fuel and leave our other cards open for our needs during the trip. We have set aside $2000.00 to pay off the cards upon our return. We already have Shell and Chevron cards. And we just applied for the Good Sam club card so we will be able to get the Pilot/Flying J discount card for rv's.

My question is where do you fill up on long trips and why? We feel we need to have many options because we are not sure if we will find stations with these brands where we will need to refill. This will be our first trip over 500 miles with the motorhome as we are new to rving. We just purchased our first rv in April and are really excited to do our first long haul trip.

Thanks in advance!
Fjcjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 02:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjcjmc View Post
Hello all,

We are planning a 21 day 4500 mile round trip from Georgia to Mt. Rushmore then on to Yellowstone. When traveling in our car for long distances we usually would stop at the Loves truck stops to fill up and stretch out our legs. They seem to be spaced out at about 2 to 2.5 hour intervals on the interstates. They are always clean and always have fresh coffee. However they don't have credit cards for non truck fleet owners. We would like to use a gas card for our fuel and leave our other cards open for our needs during the trip. We have set aside $2000.00 to pay off the cards upon our return. We already have Shell and Chevron cards. And we just applied for the Good Sam club card so we will be able to get the Pilot/Flying J discount card for rv's.

My question is where do you fill up on long trips and why? We feel we need to have many options because we are not sure if we will find stations with these brands where we will need to refill. This will be our first trip over 500 miles with the motorhome as we are new to rving. We just purchased our first rv in April and are really excited to do our first long haul trip.

Thanks in advance!

We have started using the good sams discount at Flying J. Just is convenient in and out
JazzyPigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:44 AM   #3

fill

When do i fill. when the ole gal says fill me now... Good Sam card and
flying J pilots are real good. Loves tend to be very hard to get around there pumps. Have fun
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjcjmc View Post
Hello all,

Thanks in advance!
We use a free smart phone app called Gas Buddy to find the cheapest fuel prices in the town we are at and in towns further down the road. Many times Costco ends up being the cheapest if one is available. We also use Flying J/ Pilot and this year started getting a 5 cent discount per gallon instead of 3 cent after we renewed our Good Sam card. We usually start thinking about refueling when we have about 1/4 tank of fuel left so we aren't at the mercy of a high price gas station in the middle of no where on empty. Not always, but a general rule of thumb is the larger the town or city, the cheaper the gas will be.
gladu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #5

I tow a car behind me so once the gauge is getting near 1/4 tank, I look for a gas station.

Brand doesn't matter to me and a few pennies a gallon isn't going to break the budget. I could waste that, hunting for the cheap place that I can fit in.

My go to place is Flying J, because we overnight there. Gas, water, propane and dump site, if needed.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #6

Go to Pilot and get a RV Plus card, 7 Cents per gal gas discount. Good at Pilot and Flying J.
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
It is very helpful to have the "RV Lanes" which are at select Pilot/Flying J stations. These lanes have additional setback from the building, which allows for more graceful turns when pulling through to exit. Their website has a "RV guide" which I use to determine which stations to stop at. An additional benefit is these stations have dump facilities, LP filling points, and best of all,.....a long handled windshield washing squeegee.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #8

I have BP, Shell and Marathon cards all set with discounts. BP is best but only 20 gallon limit. Brand name gas is worth the cost and injector cleaner regularly will add to your mileage.

BP $.50 with my CU card 20 gallon limit
Shell $.05 or .10 depending on their mood or something
Marathon $.27 with prepaid card bought with a Marathon card.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We normally search for Flying J. Most have RV lanes that are a little easier to get into and out of. We have a 35ft Southwind with a toad.

Otherwise we scope out large stations, but before pulling in, look very carefully to make sure we can get in and out. Usually its an outside lane thats easily accessible with the RV.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
It is very helpful to have the "RV Lanes" which are at select Pilot/Flying J stations. These lanes have additional setback from the building, which allows for more graceful turns when pulling through to exit. Their website has a "RV guide" which I use to determine which stations to stop at. An additional benefit is these stations have dump facilities, LP filling points, and best of all,.....a long handled windshield washing squeegee.
I think the RV lanes are helpful for you but the original poster has a 20 ft. RV, he can easily fuel up anywhere.
gladu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:07 AM   #11

We just use our Visa card and gas up at any station that has room to pull in and out with our rig and tow. We look at exit signs that show several gas stations so we. An choose the easiest to pull thru
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhal1949 View Post
We just use our Visa card and gas up at any station that has room to pull in and out with our rig and tow. We look at exit signs that show several gas stations so we. An choose the easiest to pull thru
I got rid of the gas cards a long time ago. Using the Visa i have now, we get 3% cash back at gas stations. Walmart is always good with our somewhat short, right at 50 foot combined, set up. I have not found a service station that doesn't take Visa or Mastercard.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:21 PM   #13

Lately if you use chg card they charge from .05 to 10 cents gallon with card !
fuzzie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #14

You should have no problem in many gas stations with the size of your MH. When I use the diesel, I ask my DW to go inside with a credit card, they ok it, I fill the tank, she pays with the card, and we go.

Tags
gas