RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #1

Procedure for cleaning House Batteries

I've read many post on cleaning batteries much I knew already having a travel trailer and a 5th wheel in the past where I can easily remove the batteries.

Now that I have a Jayco Seneca I've read past post that said to wash the batteries while still in the tray. My question is, should the power coming and going from the batteries be shut off. Disconnection from AC power as well as turning off the 12v disconnect switch. Spraying water on the batteries with the cables all connected won't this short something out? All past post never go into this detail. My batteries are very cleaned because I sprayed them with CRC battery protector within 2 months of purchasing the Seneca. Just the batteries them selves are dusty and a little dirty and washing them with warm water would be great.

Thanks in advance for your response
campingjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Which year and model do you have? We just sold our '08 35GS.
Recommend removing the negative cable before any excessive "washing".
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #3

Just hose them down if open on the bottom. No shocks or shorts on 12 volts.

Otherwise use a stiff, non metalic, brush and some water.

Pulling the power cord would make sense, as a safety step, just in case there is a 120 volt undetected fault.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #4

A water baking soda mix will neutralize any acid forming on or around the batteries. This way you are not washing acid down into the battery box.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
A water baking soda mix will neutralize any acid forming on or around the batteries. This way you are not washing acid down into the battery box.
Thats what I do.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
Which year and model do you have? We just sold our '08 35GS.
Recommend removing the negative cable before any excessive "washing".

Hi Winniview.
We have a 2017 37TS and I had the transmission reprogrammed to performance mode. Not sure if this was discussed on this site but most definitely on the Jayco site. for 2017 they did away with the overdrive switch and the Tranny was programed for economy mode. Many owners had this done either by an Allison dealer or an Allison auth dealer.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:57 PM   #7

WOW fast response.
Thanks all, great forum!!!!
Yea I may just pull all the ground off the batteries. I did read somewhere else that 12v is nothing to worry about. But electricity is electricity and water is water.
Thanks again all much appreciated!!!

Tags
batteries, house batteries