Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #1

Propane Tank Replace or Refurbish ?

94 Gulstream, 12 gallon tank, relief valve leaks, its stamped 1992, other than the relief valve, just surface rust, should paint and replace relief valve, or replace the tank at the tune of 700 bucks ?!? I know regular tanks supposedly can't be refilled after 15 years old if I remember correctly ?
mtnxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 07:38 AM   #2

Find a lpg supplier that sells tanks and replaces valves, unless anyone on this site does
this type of work don't take their advice, this is NOT for the backyard mechanic.
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnxtreme View Post
94 Gulstream, 12 gallon tank, relief valve leaks, its stamped 1992, other than the relief valve, just surface rust, should paint and replace relief valve, or replace the tank at the tune of 700 bucks ?!? I know regular tanks supposedly can't be refilled after 15 years old if I remember correctly ?
If it's a permanently mounted tank, it's likely to be ASME certified and not DOT certified. ASME certified tanks aren't subject to the same recertification requirements as DOT tanks. Standard BBQ tanks and removable tanks on travel trailers are DOT certified:

https://www.rvtravel.com/how-often-d...propane-tanks/

Nonetheless, having it inspected at a qualified propane dealer makes sense.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #4

The tank is completely empty and I can get a relief valve and just bolt it one. I've ran a number of propane ones and set up heaters so I know how to deal with it. And the tank is empty !
mtnxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
When we took over our 2002 motorhome I was surprised at the condition of the propane tank. On inspection though the hardware was up to code and in great shape but the tank looked like it had been swimming in salt water. Sandpaper, rustoleum primer and rustoleum white and it looks brand new. The steel was not damaged at all, just the original coat of paint.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnxtreme View Post
The tank is completely empty and I can get a relief valve and just bolt it one. I've ran a number of propane ones and set up heaters so I know how to deal with it. And the tank is empty !

It isn't rocket science .......

Remove the old one...install the new one

Wire brush the exterior and then repaint
*Paint must be white, light silver---no dark paints allowed

ASME LP Tanks do not have to be replaced unless damaged in accident, fire or extreme rust

*DOT portable LP Cylinders have to be 'recertified' 10 yrs after MFG Date stamp on ring then every 5 yrs (Visual Inspection)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine is a 1996ish, local propane company , did the valves for me.. filled a small coffee can with some white paint they use..

he said wire brush, wipe down and the brush this stuff on it... industrial enamel..good stuff..

I just never got to the paint yet, winter here so,,,,,
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, propane, refurbish, replace, tank