Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 53
Propane tank supply valve stuck

I last used the propane for heat several months ago. I went to use the propane early this week and found the valve (knob) near impossible to turn. I was able to muscle it closed and now it will not turn at all. The tank still has over half a tank of propane, but I canít open the valve to drain the tank. The Winnebago manual specifically states not to use a wrench to tighten or loosen the valve. The manual said the valve is broken if it cannot be hand-turned

Has anyone encountered this problem? I plan to drop it off at a dealership.
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 22,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless RV View Post
I last used the propane for heat several months ago. I went to use the propane early this week and found the valve (knob) near impossible to turn. I was able to muscle it closed and now it will not turn at all. The tank still has over half a tank of propane, but I canít open the valve to drain the tank. The Winnebago manual specifically states not to use a wrench to tighten or loosen the valve. The manual said the valve is broken if it cannot be hand-turned

Has anyone encountered this problem? I plan to drop it off at a dealership.

Take it to a Propane Bulk Vendor vs some RV dealership
The Propane Bulk Vendor can do the service valve replacement and deal with the propane in the tank.
That is their business...RV dealership not so much.
__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
poppyof5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
Posts: 275
I am with old buscuit the dealer is just going to try and sell you a new tank.
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:28 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Take it to a Propane Bulk Vendor vs some RV dealership
The Propane Bulk Vendor can do the service valve replacement and deal with the propane in the tank.
That is their business...RV dealership not so much.
I am still in search of a propane bulk vendor in my area. I think I called every company in my area that is associated with propane. The propane companies keep directing me to RV dealerships and the RV dealerships keep referencing me to propane companies. No one seems to know what to do.

I will keep looking before I take it to an RV dealership.
__________________
Tom
2012 Winnebago Vista 35F
Stoddard, WI
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 4,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless RV View Post
I am still in search of a propane bulk vendor in my area. I think I called every company in my area that is associated with propane. The propane companies keep directing me to RV dealerships and the RV dealerships keep referencing me to propane companies. No one seems to know what to do.

I will keep looking before I take it to an RV dealership.

My guess is that no one wants to deal with it, not that they don't know what to do. A bulk supplier likely doesn't want to work on a permanently installed RV tank, and the dealer doesn't want to deal with volatile propane. If you had removable tanks, like on a trailer, a bulk supplier would probably have no problem evacuating the propane and replacing the valve.


Again, just my speculation so keep on trying to find someone who will work on this. If you haven't already, ask a propane supplier why they won't attempt a fix, or ask, if you had a portable tank, if they would replace the valve. If nothing else, you will get some insight as to why no one is willing to fix your tank.
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
CountryB's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 5,819
Did you try a pair of channel-lock pliers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	219794  
Attached Images
 
__________________
Mike --- 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder CAT C13 525HP --Links below to my OneDrive docs---
*SMC, Beaver, Monaco History, Problems https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbToxXYREK9YdBP08Jn
*Monaco Wiring Diagrams https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbTm0WTuuNqpn9a8hCh
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Did you try a pair of channel-lock pliers?
My friend helped med out with a pipe wrench to open the valve. Plan is to drain the tank and replace the valve.
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 53
I am in the process of draining the propane tank (cranking the furnace) for a few days with the windows open). The plan is to replace the old valve. I am struggling to find the replacement parts for the tank.

I searched and found this:
https://www.amazon.com/PROPANE-SERVI.../dp/B074J79N54

Is this correct? I have a 20lb tank like the one shown in a previous post.

I would appreciate any direction on what parts I need to replace the main vapor flow valve.

Thanks
__________________
Tom
2012 Winnebago Vista 35F
Stoddard, WI
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Gimli MB
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless RV View Post
I am still in search of a propane bulk vendor in my area. I think I called every company in my area that is associated with propane. The propane companies keep directing me to RV dealerships and the RV dealerships keep referencing me to propane companies. No one seems to know what to do.

I will keep looking before I take it to an RV dealership.
anyone who certifies a propane/ high pressure vessels tanks should be able to work on it as well.
__________________
2005 Dutch Star , Model 4009 ,
Cummins ISL, Spartan Chassis
gimlimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless RV View Post
I am in the process of draining the propane tank (cranking the furnace) for a few days with the windows open). The plan is to replace the old valve. I am struggling to find the replacement parts for the tank.

I searched and found this:
https://www.amazon.com/PROPANE-SERVI.../dp/B074J79N54

Is this correct? I have a 20lb tank like the one shown in a previous post.

I would appreciate any direction on what parts I need to replace the main vapor flow valve.

Thanks
That valve is for a upright 20 lb BBQ " cylinder ".

If you have a chassis mounted " tank ", that will not work.

Portable cylinders are filled thru the same valve as you draw gas out of, so the need a OPD ( Overfill Protection Device ).

Chassis mounted tanks have seperate fill and service valves. The OPD is in the fill valve. You only need a service valve.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
propane, tank, valve



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Propane Fill Valve Stuck Open - Dumped a full tank EdwardoCorn RV Systems & Appliances 28 01-31-2019 07:10 PM
Propane valve stuck johnkvs Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 1 08-26-2018 08:40 PM
2017 Allegro RED Supply Air tank bleed valve novakj Tiffin Owner's Forum 4 08-22-2018 11:30 AM
Propane Tank Valve Stuck ctpres RV Systems & Appliances 9 04-10-2018 07:46 PM
Propane Shut Off Valve Stuck in Open Position constablesc RV Systems & Appliances 7 05-05-2017 03:35 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.