Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2020, 12:10 AM   #1

Question Pulling a utility trailer - effect on GVWR

I have a 1990 Jamboree Rallye 27ft Class C. It is a Ford E-350 (460/7.5L V8). It looks like I have some conflicting numbers between the Ford documentation and the Carrying Capacity on the closet door, but the GVWR is somewhere around 11,200. After Gas, LP, and water, I have about 1000 # available for 2 adults and our stuff. I'm thinking at least for the first go-round I would like to pull my 4.5' X 5' X 6' (10" long with the tongue) utility trailer that has a GVWR of 2,000.
If I pack it properly will only the tongue weight have to be subtracted from my RV's GVW? And is that generally, 10% (or 200#)? Am I crazy to think of that, or should I forget about hauling it?
I'm not planning on staying in campgrounds, so the length doesn't worry me, what worries me is the size differential, the weight and how much I'll lose or gain in wt available by taking or not taking the trailer with me.
Thank you, LavenderRV
LavenderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 06:15 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
You have three numbers to deal with here.

One is the GCVWR. That is the combined total weight of your rig and the trailer being towed.

Two is the GVWR. That number is the weight of your rig plus the tongue weight of the trailer and the weight of the receiver hitch which if sway and weight distribution is used can be as much as 100 lbs. The 10% is merely a guide and solely depends on the load in the trailer being perfectly balanced. This number is also where your CCC Cargo Carrying Capacity comes from.

Three is RAWR. This is the Rear Axle Weight Rating for your Rig Additionally is the tire weight rating but if you use the OEM recommended tire size and letter rating they will match. This is the weight of the rear half of your rig plus the tongue weight and hitch weight. If you exceed this number you are more likely to have blowouts and axle damage.

The best way to get these numbers is not to estimate but actually go to a scale with the loaded trailer in tow. It is not a 1 lb under is good and 1 lb over is bad. Running at any limit all the time puts extra stress on components but if you were say 10 lbs over your rig will not implode. At a couple of hundred pounds over safety starts to become an issue.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #3

Thanks! Since I have very little wiggle room and I am likely to be at max GVWR in passengers and gear, it seems pulling a trailer wouldn't work?
LavenderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRV View Post
Thanks! Since I have very little wiggle room and I am likely to be at max GVWR in passengers and gear, it seems pulling a trailer wouldn't work?
Can you move some gear into the trailer?

If so, the previous answer is the key.

Ray
Old 07-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
^^^^ By moving something to the trailer you can reducer GVWR. The GCVWR will remain the same but the trailer axle and tires will be taking more of the load.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
OH boy,, trailer capacity.... Class c towing....

Sorry but there is tons of stuff out there on what people do and carry...you have the sticklers for exactly the book, safety first and the guys who just do it.

I am middle way....LOL

My 1996 Minnie 29RQ very similar to yours..

GCWR 18,500
GVWR 12,400

My numbers
11590 avg . with no trailer and basics..as below.
RV with 2 plus size people, 2 dogs, full of water, fuel, propane..

Then add food, clothes and your stuff.. maybe 600-800 more pounds properly placed and that also is where your trailer tongue weight comes into play..

So in my case I tow a 7x14 or 16 enclosed.. they weight in from 2800 to 6000 on a rare day.. so my tongue weight varies from 300-650 lbs..

I can stay inside of my 18500.. NOTE that the hitch by winnebago is 3000-3500 MAX towing capacity..

I updated the Hitch to a heavy duty and I added some "metal" to the RV Extensions to the frame..
WHY, because I feel better, I have seen many issues on Class C that are over 24 foot and you bounce even a design trailer size on it.. ETC ETC..
My mods are simple and added tube steel to transfer the hitch load when using an equilizer hitch , up past the extension welds.. blah blah.. for those couple times a year I need to "load" it..
Other wise my 7x14 loaded proper. is in the design..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer