Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #1

Quality of Thor Chateau 31A

Hello fellow RV'rs my family sold our beloved 1985 winnebago chieftain looking to upgrade to something newer. I live in alaska Kodiak Island and plan to move to florida next summer and want a good used rig. There are endless choices online but rigs are very limited in alaska. One popped up on craigslist that meets our needs exactly. 2011 Thor Chateau 31A bunk house class c. I love the bunk bed model rigs for our kids. It is a little pricey at 62K with low miles but the time is right to get a good deal. I cant seem to find alot of info on these coaches. Anyone have info or experiences. I am hesitant to buy something unless I know it is a good rig. I really want a winnebago Access 31J but they are a bit more spendy but I know what I am getting with a winnebago product allways good stuff and a reputation. Can someone please send some advice my way. I am not in a rush to buy but need something by next spring. Thanks for your help.
whipskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #2

We just bought a winnie over the thor. The quality is very notable in the two. The price was similar so for the quality i went with a 10% higher price and a 50% better product.
The difference went all the way to the storage latches.
wvlaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #3

We spent 6 months looking for our first RV. After 6 months of searching, comparing and researching we decided to purchase a Winnebago. The quality, look and feel was superior to all in its comparable set. We are very pleased.
Knagy2688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #4

we just purchased a one owner 2011 Winnebago Access Premier 26ft. Class C
we live in Canada but winter in the southwest. We really like almost everything....except
2 issues : Cannot change from kil. to miles.... I guess Winnebago goes with the cheaper instrument cluster....no "how many miles til empty etc..just trip A & B. really ticked about that.... called W. they said call Ford... Ford says W. orders those basic to just meet Cdn. Std. requirements.

Sewer hose will not fit in bumper. W. says put it in the small comp. on passenger side. (not really a good solution) and for the Premier model: no inverter and no. automatic 120 V to generator ...have to plug into the generator.
Stargeezerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a 2012 Thor 26E class C and love it but the amount and technical quality of Thor's manuals is hideously lacking. My owners manual is published to cover any class C they made, making (example) the winterizing procedure so general it has ZERO IMAGES and merely alludes to valves in a non-diagrammed plumbing system which the owner has to figure out if you choose DIY.
AM I TOO PICKY? The price of my rig says I ought to be able to acquire at least automotive level tech pubs but so far.....only Winnebago I am told provides such details.
Skino47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
For a good class C, I'd pick a Winnebago or a Jayco over a Thor. Check NADA Guides for a price. In the lower 48 states, use the low retail and do not add any options to the base low retail.

$62K sounds high for that unit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #7

Check with Great Alaska Holidays in Anchorage. They are the largest motorhome rental in Alaska, and only use Winnebago. They usaually have some for sale, low miles, only 2 years old, and excellent maintenance.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #8

We have a 2014 Thor 31A and the quality of fit and finish is lacking in all areas. The chassis is great. If you are handy with RV systems you would be able to fix almost anything in it. It is very basic and there are no sophisticated systems other than the slide mechanisms.
tgdameron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, thor