Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

Question about EVAP Generators.

I'm looking at purchasing an EVAP Onan 4K. My generator guy says I'll have vapors build up and should switch out carburetors to a non evap. carb. When I'm parked and running the generator in my class C I don't want a bunch of fuel vapors floating up into the coach. Thoughts? I've read elsewhere since it runs off the main gas tank you just plug or don't use the evap line? I need to get educated on this stuff please. Thank you.
louieland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #2

I would try it first.. then spend money to change.. fuel vapors lay down on the ground.. to in too low a level to ignite.. even if you are holding a torch.. under coach.. gen fan moves so much air you never smell it.. mine is 21yrs old non evap and you don't smell it.. are you installing yourself ? Oh welcome to IRV2.. and keep us posted..
Old 07-27-2021, 10:52 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I am having a generator shop do the install. It's a small shop, but the owner has been repairing generators for decades so I feel like he knows his stuff. He's helped me out over the years with various generators and when I told him all the new generators are EVAP he didn't think you could install them on a class C. He thought they were only for trailers with a dedicated fuel tank. But the vendor and other forums are telling me EVAPS are fine for class C's and you just don't use the EVAP line? The shop isn't charging me to switch out the EVAP carb with a non-EVAP carb, but just confused why I would need to do that. He just kept saying there will be vapors escaping from the EVAP line? IDK maybe once he sees it it will make more sense to him. I just don't know enough about this stuff.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Issue should be addressed in INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS, Probably download and read yourself?
Old 07-29-2021, 10:04 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From what I read, a MH should run a NON-EVAP Gen, unless GEN running different fuel, as MH engine system does the fuel tank vapor recovery? 5th wheels w/ onboard GEN need EVAP for fuel tank vapors, unless LPG.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
From what I read, a MH should run a NON-EVAP Gen, unless GEN running different fuel, as MH engine system does the fuel tank vapor recovery? 5th wheels w/ onboard GEN need EVAP for fuel tank vapors, unless LPG.
The Onan 4K non EVAP are discontinued. The only new 4Kís are EVAP so they must be able to work and run safely on a motor homeÖI hope. Otherwise all us Class C people have to buy used non-EVAP generators? Is anyone out there running a EVAP on a Class A, B or C that runs off the vehicles gas tank? The vendors that sell the EVAPS say itís fine. They say the new ones are designed to work in a trailer or a Coach RV, but my generator guy seems genuinely puzzled. He is telling me he has never installed an EVAP in a RV before because by design they are meant to have a dedicated fuel source like what the set up would be in a trailer. IDK hopefully this works. Itís gonna be here in a week.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
it has been covered in other posts here... you can leave that vent capped..
The one I did I had put a vent cap on it that breathes, no critteres or water.. looped the hose, up out of the way..
In a non evap the carb has an open air vent to the bowl that no one sees or cares about... the evap just routes this to a canister,.. that you can add but IMO it is so little vapor etc..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, generators