Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Questions about buying a motorhome

My wife and I are planning on buying a 28’ to 30”Class C motor home and towing a vehicle behind it. It will probably have 1 or 2 slides. Some of this is new to me and I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help answer for me.

1. Gas or Diesel? Which is preferred, especially if you are towing a car?
2. What size engine would I need for towing purposes?
3. What kinds of cars or SUV’s are best to be towed by a motor home? I’m looking for something on the small end but it would still have to fit 4 people.
4. What kind of mileage can I expect?
5. Any other advice would be appreciated! Thanks
csaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi and welcome to the RV life .
Even tho I have a 30 ft class with a single slide. I think a 32 to 35 ft diesel class A maybe more better choice
Old 06-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gas or Diesel? Gas has a lower initial purchase cost; diesel wins out on longevity, power and carrying capacity.

How big an engine? All modern Class C's in the size range you discuss are able to tow; how much they can tow depends on the individual rig.

What car is best to tow? Easiest is a car that will tow "4 wheels down" with no modification. Saturns, as a group are usually 4 wheels towable. Others may need various modifications to tow, like a driveshaft disengage or a pump. Any car can be towed with a two-wheel dolly or car trailer. What kind of car do you already have?

Milage? Depends on what kind of rig you buy, but don't expect much over 12 mpg in a 30 footer.

JMHO

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaran View Post
My wife and I are planning on buying a 28’ to 30”Class C motor home and towing a vehicle behind it. It will probably have 1 or 2 slides. Some of this is new to me and I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help answer for me.

3. What kinds of cars or SUV’s are best to be towed by a motor home? I’m looking for something on the small end but it would still have to fit 4 people.
Why Class C? 30 ft Class A are good too you know? Usually have more useable room and less prone (but not exempt from) over loading.

As another has stated, a modern 30 ft class C will tow just about anything you are considering. Smaller is better.

Mileage varies mostly on how fast you push it. The faster you drive the more gas goes through the engine. Some folks get between 6&8 some better. Just remember you are moving a small apt. with furnishings down the hiway so set you expectations properly.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi csaran, and Welcome to the Forum!

First, be VERY careful when shopping for a Class C that you will have sufficient weight capacity to tow anything. Many C's, especially one with the extra weight from slides will likely be at its chassis limit which leaves little left for towing capacity. Know and understand the weight ratings before you sign on the dotted line.

You'll need to check the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) which is the maximum allowable combined mass of a towing road vehicle (your motorhome), passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle, plus the mass of the trailer (toad) and cargo in the trailer. (definition from Wikipedia)
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

I'll give you my opinion but that's all it is....just an opinion that I've formed.
1. I agree with others....gas is cheaper initial investment and fuel is cheaper. If you plan on doing extreme mileage you might want to consider a diesel. Otherwise, I'd stick to gas.
2. Can help you on that one on a Class C.
3. My experience has been to look for the 4x4s with a NEUTRAL position. That was you can tow four down....which is MUCH easier than dealing with a dolly, etc.
4. Don't expect good mileage just because it's a Class C. Fact is, maybe 1 to 2 mpg better in Class C than Class A....on average.
5. We had a Class A and sold it. Looked at Class C's and ended up buying another Class A. Why? .....much more storage under unit! .....great view on the road. ....love the 'picture window' while camping. ...more room to move around. ...not cramped in driving bay. ....can see at a distance over cars while traveling (safer). ....towing is generally not an issue with most Class A's. .....just my opinion!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

1. I think everyone goes through this one. Class C Diesels are around the 24-26 foot range that I saw when researching and cost more. We just went with gas. We tow a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and it seems to do fine.
2. Ford or Chevy..each have their strengths and weaknesses. You need to figure out which would work best. Ford seems to have the Class C market share though.
3. You need to find a copy of Motorhome's Dingey Towing Guide.
4. Depends on how heavy your foot is and if you're towing or not...I would say between 5-12.
5. Class C's have their strengths and weaknesses just depends on what you're looking for in a motorhome and if it will fit what you need.
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaran

We started looking at Class C's and ended up with a Class A for very much the same reasons other people stated...bigger, better engine, more storage space, better layout.

1/ We went diesel coz we're in it for the long haul, and we love the engine but it is more pricey. It's a cost benefit balance and you could do fine either way.
2/ For us bigger is better esp. for the mountains, but you need to look at weight ratings on your home. Like others have said some Class C's esp. with slides come close to their limit which leaves little for towing.
3/ We tow a Honda CR-V which is small but spacious. It can be towed 4-down which is a big plus. Jeeps are another light and fun choice.
4/ Anywhere from 6-12? It varies depending on your home, your weight, your engine and where you're driving.
5/ Look at both class A's and 5th wheels. You might find there are more options out there.

Tags
motorhome