Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2018, 04:48 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Red face Engine Cover Insulation (Dog Box)

Everyone has responded with great ideas of how to help the heat problem you have. The real issue here is to remove the heat. Engines are designed to operate within a heat range. Too cold, performance suffers too hot, performance also suffers. When one adds extra insultation you increase the amount of heat held inside the engine cover. Doing so, decreases engine efficiency and shortens the life of several engine parts. We have learned in 30 years that removing heat is the best way to decrease the amount of heat radiated inside the cab is to vent the engine compartment. We had trouble with the E-450 with the V-10 engine in ambulances cracking coils due to excess heat. This was especially a problem when the engines idled long periods at the hospital with the A/C running. We installed vents in the hood of the vehicle to allow the heat to escape. We not only had a decrease the number of ignition coils at $150 including labor each, remember a V-10 has 10 coils. The engine cover ran much cooler, thus decreasing the internal temperature of the vehicle. I have done the same modification on my Class C Holiday Rambler with great success. I do not need to run my Onan and the house A/C. Keeps hours off the Onan. The engine cover is normal . We have traveled all over the east coast since we are Florida Natives. Keep your speed at 60-65 for the best MPG. If you are towing there is no magic solution. Remember the ole egg on the gas peddle concept. Good luck and enjoy your new adventure.
lecordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #16

I agree with the previous poster.

Years ago I was towing a Uhaul with a Celica on I-10 from sacramento to new orleans in August. Yes there was a girl involved.

Anyway we couldn't get out of Bakersfield without overheating(long slow grade). I ended up removing the hood and put it in the trailer. With the heater on it just managed not to overheat while going thru the Mohave desert.

Another trick is to open the hood and secure a 2"'x4" block under the hood lock and tighten down the hood with a rope or strap.
The extra 2-3 inches of open hood air really helps.

One helluva trip!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecordell View Post
We installed vents in the hood of the vehicle to allow the heat to escape. I have done the same modification on my Class C Holiday Rambler with great success.

Could you post a picture of the vents you added. I think that is a great idea. Besides, I really dig metal work.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I lost 3 exhaust manifolds in my Ford 350 with the 4.6L engine. I even had it tested at a Ford dealer, he said the heat is the cause and it was a common failure. He suggested some high speed fans used in race cars but they were $$$$.

I got creative and cut two 2" holes in the scoop under the front bumper and then used the foil type dryer vent and attached and ran back up toward the exhaust manifolds. Made a noticeable difference on how hot the dog house got.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #19

Quote:
I got creative and cut two 2" holes in the scoop under the front bumper and then used the foil type dryer vent and attached and ran back up toward the exhaust manifolds. Made a noticeable difference on how hot the dog house got.

Can you provide a few more details on this? I've been considering doing something like this, but I can't quite figure out how to do it. I have a '93 Ford E350 and have already replaced both manifolds and would love to find a way to get some air circulating...

Thanks, ryan
rgnprof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat