Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #43

Forester

We bought our 2009 Forester 3121DS on the Ford E-450 chassis in late 2016. It was a one owner (her husband had died) with 49+k miles on it. Overall great condition except for the usual sun fading being parked in her driveway uncovered. We had to service the Onan 4k and replace the carburetor due to sitting and getting varnished pretty badly. Also replaced the awning fabric and slide topper fabric as all were worn/torn. I have installed new tires, a new Roadmaster steering stabilizer, and aligned the front-end with additional + caster. I have also changed the oil and flushed and changed oil in the tranny. No major expenses beyond that so far. This is a 32" coach with 2 slides and a rear walk around queen that fits the two of us nicely. We have put around 4k miles on it since buying it. Several months after purchase, we went back to the original owner and also bought her 2001 Saturn SL2 with 70k miles which was completely set up to pull behind the Forester. We didn't buy the car initially thinking we didn't really need it - we discovered pretty quickly that we did!

Overall, we would rate the Forester as a 7 or so. Two major dislikes: the captains chairs don't swivel and my wife has to literally climb into the seat from the coach because there is about 6" of space between the seat and the doghouse. And it won't recline because of the small sofa directly behind it. Second, the sofa folds down to a bed but is too small to be useful as a bed for anyone other than a very small child. It's also useless to watch TV sitting in that sofa without straining your neck to see the unit in the overhead entertainment center. The only real place to sit and watch the TV is the back bench of the dinette. We hope to replace the dinette with two recliners at some point if we keep the unit. We did add a 24" TV to the bedroom so we can watch TV from the bed when needed.
JPerry5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #44

Spirit 25B

We just downsized from a Class A to a new Winnebago 25B, we wanted to go smaller, no slides and must have a couch. And this is one of the few floorplans that met our needs. Its on a E450 V10 chassis and tows our pickup as well as the larger Class A did, of course it doesn't ride as well and yes we do miss the extra room and counterspace a full wall slide provides but all in all this is a better fit for our style of travel and types of trips, no more than a month long. Oh BTW this one actually has more sleeping area for the grandchildren when they travel with us.
Santee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #45

We purchased a new Jayco Greyhawk in 2015. However, it just didn't provide enough room for when our son's family of 5 joined us. It drove like a dream!
ckwcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #46

Can't write too much as I'm still learning it. Bought 2018 Forester 3011ds July 12th. Took first trip on 14th. 4 nights at Buffalo River National Park, Buffalo Point cg. Pluggeg in and within 30 minutes he power went out in coach. Checked breakers, all good but could smell melting plastic. Went out to pedestal and turned 30amo breaker off. Checked shore cord at coach inlet...hot! Unplugged and saw burn spot on new cord. Tried second cord. No power.
Black around one prong of coach inlet. Pulled screws and pulled inlet out of hole. White wire had melted through plastic housing and welded wire to screw. Now dealing with fr for reimbursement on new one.
Fridge don't light on lp. Most other issues we're resolved with time and research. Some wood work was damaged on delivery so wait for new pieces.
Very pleased with the engine, driveability, and other features. Happy with floorplan. Loveseat could be a lot more comfortable.
So I guess right now I'll give it a 7. Will improve rating when bugs are resolved.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit99 View Post
Curious what people really think of their class C’s quality. Give your year, make, model, miles driven and floor plan. Rank 1-10. 10 being perfect with no issues. 1 being a [moderator edit] lemon.
We have a 2016 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS 34" length

We absolutely love our Class C. We have owned it for over 2 years and the only problem we have encountered was a faulty circuit board on the Hot Water Heater. That was covered under the warranty and cost us nothing! Thus far we have driven almost 15,000 miles. It has a rear bedroom, full wrap around booth in the living area. Pop up (from the counter) TV, with a Stereo and a Fireplace beneath. Twin Theater style recliners w/drink holders. Two slide outs! Outside has a TV, Slide out running water sink in a 6" table, and a Fridge/Freezer combo in the rear compartment. The very back has a large door for storage and to this date, we haven't used it all up!
Rating it from 1 to 10, I give it a 10!
rjoney55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #48

happy with a 2012 sun seeker

Last year we bought a 2012 2250 sl Sunseeker. Chevy 4500 Gasser. We love the layout for two people. It gets a little crowded when we have the grandkids though. We are extremely happy. It had 51k miles on it but the coach needed a little work. However, for 32k we got a great motorhome with not too many miles. I definitely would give it a 10 for ride, layout, etc. I would give it a 4 for how the previous owners cared for the interior.
popshumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #49

2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie Premier 27QP.

On the e450 chassis with the v10. Oodles of power, and I don’t baby it. Hammer down when it’s needed. Sometimes you can feather the throttle up a hill with the cruise on and prevent a two-gear downshift. But let the cruise do it and it’s spinning 4500 RPM the whole way up.

Generator needed a carb replacement first year, but that was likely because it was a holdover at the dealer and no one bothered to drain the bowl after demoing it over and over.

Bought with 150 miles on it since I’m close to the factory.

Two underbody storage areas closest to door leak terribly... had the dealer reseal, it’s a little better but still no good for anything but hoses and other things that are OK to get wet - essentially have given up on those two ever being watertight.

Have put 4500 miles on it, don’t go too far yet and have it at a permanent site this year. Much more convenient.

Have replaced two of the three roof vent cranks, just blew the third this past weekend. Found the vent plastic is also cracked, too. Crappy parts wreck decent RV.

Only really bad thing is that the gray tank uses a pump to get the water out the drain since the tank is behind the rear axle, and no matter how much you run it, the next time you remove the cap from the drain there’s a cup of gray water waiting for you.

Also, no little things to deflect AC water from the sides of the rig like I see on pretty much ever other travel trailer and RV... need to get some of those.

Pieces of metal and wood shavings still find their way to the floor when putting the bumpout out... was scary first time, but is getting less and less. Dealer and Winnebago both say leftovers from assembly. They should vacuum better.

It’s a Premier, so it has stainless sinks and corian counters, build quality is good. Exterior graphics are holding up nicely.

Drives OK. Never towed anything with it. Loud over 60, don’t bother watching TV in the back on the interstate.

Would rate it a 7. Those leaks in the bottom compartments really tick me off.
Jchaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Curious what people really think of their class C’s quality. Give your year, make, model, miles driven and floor plan. Rank 1-10. 10 being perfect with no issues. 1 being a [moderator edit] lemon.
I have a Winnebago View 2017 floor plan G 5000 miles. Rank 9
Quiltjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #51

Quote:
I have a 2007 Seneca 34 ss. We have 55000 miles to date. Just love the unit. Nice to drive. Large enough to live in it all winter. It has the floor plan and all the features we were looking for. No repairs yet. Just maintenance. Id have to give it 9 out of 10.. Planing on see all of North America in it.
edenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #52

Sunseeker 2012, 18500 miles, minor problems, Rate a 8, - one , it’s not perfect, minor repairs, -2 bathroom is a little small,.

Love the full body paint, construction has been good but they’ve had leaks on the front cap seam. It’s a typical forest river product, not perfect but not bad. I guess I could have said 7, but I’ve grown used to it’s infirmities.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #53

Traded our 2001 Santera for a 2018 Freelander 26RS. Santera was a great coach, e-450 chassis, and started showing her age (we do miss her). Our Freelander is a Chevy 4500 chassis, plenty of power even when towing. Upgraded the shocks and had a proper alignment done, very happy with the ride and handling. Fuel mileage is acceptable at 9 mpg with a toad. Leaving tomorrow to Canada from Florida for a few weeks, looking forward to the trip.... so far an 8
geoff1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #54

2016 Winnebago View

Bought it new. It's a 24M floor plan so we have to make up the sofa bed every evening and take it down every morning. We have it down to 3 minutes each time. We love the floor plan, but Winnebago isn't making it any longer. We think it's because of the bed issue. The driver-side wall slides out completely making a large living area. The driver and passenger seats rotate to make room for 4 to enjoy conversation or TV.

I altered the TV mount so it rotates out in either front or rear direction so we can see it from the dinette. Stock mount only rotates from the left side toward the front of the rig. Silly design.

I also added a nice, big solar panel to keep the house batteries alive during storage.

The generator is very stingy sipping propane.

We get 14 mpg towing a Honda CRV and a little over 17 mpg when not towing.

We have 29,000 miles on it already and have driven it from coast to coast including all the way to Newfoundland. No issues so far other than the rear dual tire valves are IMPOSSIBLE to reach for pressure checking without taking off the wheel covers. So I had a tire store install extensions and so far so good. They told me that many View owners complain of the same problem. Silly design.
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #55

Forest River Owners Club
We have a 2015 Coachmen Leprechaun 320 BH. Bought it used with about 3000 miles on it and have put about 4000 miles on it. Compared to the other Class A's we have owned it is a 9. But on an absolute basis it has been about a 7.0. The floor plan is perfect for us and our dogs. Not real happy with the cargo weight you can haul without busting the weight limits. Also had problems with the caulking around the shower. The toilet flange broke and the design required the black water tank to be dropped to fix it. While it is much easier to drive than the Class A's, I was still not happy with the way it reacted when big rigs passed and the overall rough ride. Had heavy duty Bilstein shocks installed and Helwig sway bars and it now rides very nicely when the air bags are inflated. That brings up the last problem...the air bags. They will not hold pressure for more than a few days. Have adjusted the schrader valve but no luck. Inspection of air fill line to air bags did not reveal any user serviceable parts. So into the shop in about ten days to ge that fixed. While there I am getting a new drivers seat put in that has better lumbar support and a heated back support. More work than I wanted to do, but not sure if we could have found any coach that would have had the seat I wanted without paying way more than we could afford.
Texas John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #56

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff1200 View Post
Traded our 2001 Santera for a 2018 Freelander 26RS. Santera was a great coach, e-450 chassis, and started showing her age (we do miss her). Our Freelander is a Chevy 4500 chassis, plenty of power even when towing. Upgraded the shocks and had a proper alignment done, very happy with the ride and handling. Fuel mileage is acceptable at 9 mpg with a toad. Leaving tomorrow to Canada from Florida for a few weeks, looking forward to the trip.... so far an 8
which model we have 304 fl model love it
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c