RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Best trick we did was to both negotiate a deal on a new truck for my wife. We worked between a couple dealerships and got what we thought was the best price. We decided on a dealership and my wife went back and actually got the salesman to knock off another couple hundred $$. When I got there the salesman explained the new deal and said "there is no way I'm going back to work tomorrow and tell everyone my wife got a better deal then me" so the salesman took off another $100.
Every little bit helps.

When we bought a new Class C in 1997 the markup was 38%. The dealer was liquidating stock and just wanted out so we got it at his cost, he showed me the paper work. Right Time Right Place
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
If you live in NJ and bought from Lichtsinn's then you can probably answer a question that has been bothering me. How do they handle the sales tax? Did you have to pay sales tax when you bought it and then again when you registered it? Or not pay sales tax since you were registering it out of state (out of Iowa)? Or get a sales tax credit in NJ?

I don't know how the sales tax is handled when you buy out of state. Thanks.

Lichtsinn did not collect any sales tax. I paid the tax at the NJ MVC when I registered/titled the RV in NJ.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #17

Stupid voice texting!
Does the percentages used to get better prices on a new vehicle also apply to a used vehicle
Old 08-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #18

So it is OK to ask for the dealer invoice versus the invoice showing the MSRP?
Old 09-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Lichtsinn did not collect any sales tax. I paid the tax at the NJ MVC when I registered/titled the RV in NJ.
Yeah, was going to say this.

Vehicle sales are USUALLY taxed when the title is filed. So the out-of-state dealer will provide you with a title or certificate of origin filled out and possibly notarized along with a bill of sale. They will also get you a temporary registration, usually good for 30 days. (If you are buying from a private party out of state you can normally get a temporary registration from the DMV in that state as well.)

When you get to your home state, you file the title or certificate of origin with your DMV, and they will issue a new title to you, along with the registration and plates. As part of that process, you also provide the bill of sale showing how much you paid and pay the sales tax at that time.

If you are financing, the process might be a little different. The finance company needs to be listed on the title as a lien holder. One option is the old title will note that the vehicle is sold to you subject to a lien from the lien holder. When you apply for the new title that lien will be listed. Or you will be asked to sign a power of attorney to allow the finance company to file for the new title and registration on your behalf. The finance company will take the old title and send it to an agent in your state. That agent will apply for the new title and registration in your name, but make certain the title lists the lien holder properly. Either the finance company will include the tax in the financed amount and pay it on your behalf or you will need to give them a check for the tax which will be passed on to your state when their agent files for the title.

Any time the title on a vehicle changes it triggers an opportunity for tax. If you move to a different state there is generally a form that you need to fill out to indicate that the transfer shouldn't be taxable. Similarly if you gift a vehicle to a spouse or relative, or if you receive a vehicle in someone's will, you need to fill out a form that you are exempt from the tax.
MikeDeAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Lichtsinn/Iowa gives you a 2 week temp tag but they will file for an extension giving you an additional 4 weeks I think. I was trading in an RV and moved the tasks to my View but carried the temp tags and paperwork with me while I traveled before registering in NJ.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #21

A model year ago, the Sprinter chassis alone jumped roughly $9000 in MSRP to bring it up to other Mercedes vehicles in features and safety, and also more load capability than previous model years. So keep that in-mind if shopping for a new versus slightly used or new/old stock motor home.

$180,000 MSRP for a Sprinter based motor home does seem "painful".
38% off MSRP would make it $111,600 which is much easier a pill to swallow.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #22

Thank you for that info, very good to know!
msharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #23

Are you referring to a 2021 vs. 2020?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #24

I don't think there is a Class C worth $180,000 or anything close to that figure. As some people said you can get 30-40% discount from MSRP. Maybe a Super C, but not a gas Class C.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharrell View Post
Are you referring to a 2021 vs. 2020?
I am not sure. That major enhancement was introduced in either 2020 or 2021. Hopefully someone else will clarify.

Don't get confused between the chassis model year and the motor home model year. You just might find a 2021 motor home built on a 2019 chassis, though highly unlikely during this time of high demand. You'll find that more often during a recession.

But it is common under either economy to find the two to be one model year apart because of the different times of year each is introduced. Motor home model years always come out many months earlier in the previous year than the chassis does.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #26

We bought our 2017 View 24J from La Mesa RV in Florida, however they have several dealerships across the country. Msrp was $124000. LaMesa sold new to us for $94000. I called Lichtsenn because I liked their videos to get their price and they were no were close to the deal LaMesa gave us. Service was also good. We stopped by Lichtsenn when we were in Iowa two years ago to look at class A MH. And we were not impressed with their pricing and high pressure. I know that many people like them though.
jlshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Even with the current sellers market for RVís, especially smaller units, you should push for 30% of MSRP. You may need to travel a distance to get the best deal. I live in NJ and purchased from Lichtsinn in Iowa. I bought a left-over 2020 24J as the 2021í were coming out that was loaded (FBP, diesel gen, lithium batteries, HWH levelers, dual pane windows) and got 38% off MSRP. Call Lichtsinn and see what they will quote you. I worked with Cody but have good things about other sales people too. They have a great service department too.
When I bought my 2013 Navion I got the best price from Lewis RV in Ohio. When it arrived I flew out and drove it home..
Old 09-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #28

I bought a Fleetwood Pulse sticker $150000 for $69995 two years ago. But now I could resell it for +$85000 due to supply and demand, there arenít very many new ones out there now, for the first time itís a sellers market.
Kcinfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c