Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #1

Real price for Class C

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums. I have been looking at rv's for 2 years now and we've narrowed it down to the Winnebago view 24-D.
Any suggestions on where to start negotiations on a price?
We are seeing MSRP loaded about $180000.
Thanks for any thoughts.
msharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Even with the current sellers market for RV’s, especially smaller units, you should push for 30% of MSRP. You may need to travel a distance to get the best deal. I live in NJ and purchased from Lichtsinn in Iowa. I bought a left-over 2020 24J as the 2021’ were coming out that was loaded (FBP, diesel gen, lithium batteries, HWH levelers, dual pane windows) and got 38% off MSRP. Call Lichtsinn and see what they will quote you. I worked with Cody but have good things about other sales people too. They have a great service department too.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #3

Thank you very much that's extremely helpful! I have been working with that dealership so I will plow ahead. Hoping in late Winter some newer models come on the resale market when all those who bought rv's this year decide maybe it's not for them after all? Who knows right?
Old 08-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #4

So, did you start with asking them for their best price and then you offered what you are willing to pay? Any tips are appreciated at this point.🙄
Old 08-28-2020, 02:56 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msharrell View Post
So, did you start with asking them for their best price and then you offered what you are willing to pay? Any tips are appreciated at this point.[emoji849]

They offered a pretty good price. I countered for a little better (~$2000) and settled in the middle. There may be a little room for negotiation but in my experience they give close to there final price to front. Others may have different experiences. For Winnebago View/Navion there is an active FB group with lots of help that I joined while doing my research. Much more useful for model specific info than here.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #6

Thanks mricet1005

Thank you Randy and Ella!
I will check out the FB group. You have really put my mind at ease and I so appreciate it.

Mary and Stan (black lab, minnie aussie, 2 cats)
Ready to Roll!
Old 08-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
The name of the FB group is View/Navion Motorhomes. A great group of helpful people!
Old 08-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$180,000 for a 24 foot class C RV?

Wow!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
just did some quick searches and in local lists...
2020-2021 new 162-187k.....
2020 demo/show 154-173k....
2019 with under 11k miles 88-118K...
35-45% loss on a year or so old.. I know, I hear,, but ouch..

It is not a buyers market right now,,,,
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #10

No kidding...ouch!
Old 08-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #11

Talking Worked for me...

I have used this tip 3 times, {once when I bought our 24' C lass C, again when i bought my Indian Springfield motorcycle and most recently when I purchased my Honda Ridgeline last summer} all with great success {keeping mind that when you get free advice you get what you paid for}.

Do your homework and narrow your focus to a specific model or two. Find a large dealer, the bigger the better as in one with multiple locations {I used La Mesa RV for the coach, Ride Now Chandler for the bike and Auto Nation on the Honda} that has what you want on their lot and then...

Show up on the last day of the month when they open prepared with an aggressive price that your are willing and able to pay. Do the usual dance until you are satisfied that they are down to their rock bottom price and then ask to speak to the sales manager.

Me: You have already made your "nut" for the month right?

Sales manager: Well yes, it has been a god month, what's your point?

Me: So any rig you sell between now and the close of business will mean cash direct to the dealership from corporate, right? Tell me I'm wrong.

SM: No, you are not wrong that is how it works.

Me: So you are going to move heaven and earth to close me today, right?

SM: Yes, we really would like to sell you a coach {bike, truck etc.} today.

Me: So lets take another look at your previous best offer and find out how much better you are prepared to make this deal contingent on my buying right here, right now.

This can be a better price, adding on some nice options, a better finance rate, whatever. Be prepared to walk if the deal does not get significant improvement and be certain they know you will go down the road if it doesn't.

When I bought our class Class C this brought my TT trade in from $4,000 {wholesale book} up to $8,500 a good but fair price. They sold that very clean TT that weekend for $9,000. When I bought my Indian I found the last 2017 in the state of Arizona and got it OTD {out the door - tax, license registration, dealer prep... everything included} for $20,000 including $900 in add on options. When I bought the Ridgeline I got it OTD for $39K very nicely equipped. In all three instances I was dealing with large chain dealers.

Another income source for the dealerships is owner financing. Assuming you have good credit {the higher your FICO score the more leverage this will give you - anything over 800 will put you in the drivers set {sorry, bad pun intended} and they will be highly motivated to get you to finance in house. They will immediately sell off the loan and collect a nice fat premium for initiating the
financing. Just be sure their loan product is a competitive with a good rate and terms.

After getting them down to a great price using the first tip you can now hammer them once again to make the deal even better by offering to finance with them vs paying cash or getting your loan elsewhere. This took an additional $500 off of the price of my Ridgeline, got me $900 in options thrown in for free on the Indian and got us a smoking great rate on our used Class C. I put a 15 year loan on it and paid it off in 6. I walked back in on the bike and Honda thet next day and paid off the loans with the cash I had originally planned to buy with - a definite "win, win!"

Will these tips work for you? I'm guessing they will as I know they worked for me. Good luck!

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #12

Oh my goodness! You people are so fabulous in sharing your experience.
Wonderful tips. We are prepared to pay cash and I did not think that offering to finance with them would sweeten any deal.
What is a challenge right now is finding a dealership with anything on there lot that we want to look at! Fortunately we are not rushed.
Thank you again!
Old 08-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Even with the current sellers market for RV’s, especially smaller units, you should push for 30% of MSRP. You may need to travel a distance to get the best deal. I live in NJ and purchased from Lichtsinn in Iowa. I bought a left-over 2020 24J as the 2021’ were coming out that was loaded (FBP, diesel gen, lithium batteries, HWH levelers, dual pane windows) and got 38% off MSRP. Call Lichtsinn and see what they will quote you. I worked with Cody but have good things about other sales people too. They have a great service department too.
If you live in NJ and bought from Lichtsinn's then you can probably answer a question that has been bothering me. How do they handle the sales tax? Did you have to pay sales tax when you bought it and then again when you registered it? Or not pay sales tax since you were registering it out of state (out of Iowa)? Or get a sales tax credit in NJ?

I don't know how the sales tax is handled when you buy out of state. Thanks.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
After getting them down to a great price using the first tip you can now hammer them once again to make the deal even better by offering to finance with them vs paying cash or getting your loan elsewhere.
Yes. I have done the same sort of thing.

Instead of paying cash I offered to finance the RV (and a car at an auto dealer) so they could pick up the financing rebate. You can then always just pay the note off in the first 30 days and generally avoid any extra cost so you win with the reduced price and the dealer wins with the finance rebate.

In the end the bank loses the income from a long term note but I think your credit score will probably get a boost from the note being paid off so quickly.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c