Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Rear bumper storage box ideas ?

going from a 34 ft Diesal pusher with lots of bottom storage to a 21 ft C class with one storage compartment is hard. like some ideas on building a rear storage box between the tail lights. will put the spare up on roof.using the top bunk for storage too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	287847  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #2

Getting that spare onto the roof and down safely will be a problem I would think.
Any chance of hanging it underneath?
Not sure what size box you have in mind but have you considered the ready made truck bed boxes or a job site one?
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenvb View Post
going from a 34 ft Diesal pusher with lots of bottom storage to a 21 ft C class with one storage compartment is hard. like some ideas on building a rear storage box between the tail lights. will put the spare up on roof.using the top bunk for storage too.
When we had our 5th wheel, I had a truck tool box on the rear.
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #4

I installed a cargo carrier that mounts inside of the towing hitch receiver, then I bolted an aluminum truck storage box on top of that platform. No fabricating to do and easy to remove. You might be able to leave your spare tire where it is .
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:57 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Moving tire to roof is rough (75+ pounds?); if you try to to do something w/ hitch mount, then get a FRAME MOUNTED RECEIVER, (NOT BUMPER MOUNT) and get any rack OFFSET as high as possible.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Stow away 2 that mounts in the hitch hole. It's got a swing away feature too. When it's in travel position I remember it looks like around a foot away from the cap of the rig. That might be good enough to just leave the spare where it is.

https://www.stowaway2.com/
Old 06-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I have a Stow away 2 that mounts in the hitch hole. It's got a swing away feature too. When it's in travel position I remember it looks like around a foot away from the cap of the rig. That might be good enough to just leave the spare where it is.

https://www.stowaway2.com/
That is a nice looking carrier. I especially like the illuminated license plate mounting and the additional rear lights.
It wouldn't work for me as I use an aluminum carrier mounted in the tow hitch of my coach to carry my tote when we are going boondocking at a NASCAR race once a year.
I got pulled over driving down the Interstate two years ago and was informed my rack and tank was partially covering the view of my rear license plate. I was doing nothing wrong when the red lights came on next to me. Here I am sitting alongside the Interstate with a Class A MH with passengers while getting my butt chewed for a partially blocked plate. I may have been a little overly adamant this stop was unwarranted. I didn't get a citation though. Meanwhile traffic was passing by at well over the posted limit speed.
When I got to my destination I took the plate off and wired it to the rack for the trip back home.
Now I have a bracket made for a utility trailer mounted securely to the rack so I can display the plate and the bracket has a lamp on it which I have wired into the trailer plug on the coach.
Lynn
Old 06-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
rear storage

i built a rear hitch on it last 2 days. tacked it together at home with my buzz box.then took to old weldor friend who welded it up nice with his big Lincoln.
put a foldway rack on it.but my big plastic storage box is too big for it.
i switched the steel rim to a Aluminum rim for spare. half the weight. last resort is to put in the roof pod.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hitch underneath view.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	288019   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	288020  

Name:	rack 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	288021   Click image for larger version

Name:	rack 1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	288022  

Old 06-03-2020, 12:06 AM   #9

rear storage box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenvb View Post

Name:	IMG_1065_resized.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	288040

I bought an aluminum truck tool box and fabricated a type of rack support below that has a tongue that goes into the hitch receiver. Its lockable and weatherproof of course, and is great for smelly or awkward things like portable BBQ, bulky ground sheet, extension cord, etc. These boxes are quite common and come in various widths/depths, so I got one that came right up to the edge of the roof ladder. In a pinch, I've even used the lid to set the Napoleon BBQ on for a quick grill.

Fortunately, my spare is mounted up underneath the rear of the RV, so I didn't have to worry about that. Moved my license plate to the rear of the box and that was it.
Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #10

what do all you people do with all the extra weight???

DREAMER
FMCA 200924
push toy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
rear box

i sold that new fold up carrier for $50 more than paid for it.. and dug out a motorcycle carrier i had and went to the dump and found this 24 x 24 by 6 aluminum box. screwed 2 4x4s to the bike carrier and then the box down to the 4x4s. all i wanted was a place for the lawn chairs.barbaque, camp stove.maybe 100 lb total with box,bike rack and crap in the box. we have a double bike rack on the diesal pusher that i carry 2 pontoon boats on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear box.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	288152  
Old 06-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
side view

even room to get spare off too.
Attached Thumbnails